Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hi guys, I'm new here. Question about possible causes.....

I'm 31, have had emetophobia since I was a little kid although lately I've been getting gradually less afraid of it. Was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting to the bottom of where this phobia comes from. I'll get real personal here and share that I was molested when I was 8 (one time, not ongoing) and I read on another thread that emets are often afraid of their own bodies. I have always wondered if my emetophobia is related to being afraid of losing control and if that is because of what happened to me as a kid. I also suffer from OCD (since I was ten), anxiety, ADD and depression. Good times. I know a lot of other emets that suffer from one or more of these feel that the emet is the root cause, but I actually feel that the anxiety is the root cause of all of my other disorders. I don't have health insurance so I can't see a shrink, but I'm trying to work through this stuff myself and I'd really like to figure out where exactly this phobia started. Anyone have any insight?

Default Re: Hi guys, I'm new here. Question about possible causes.....

I honestly believe that I was born with this phobia. Not saying that everyone is, I just feel like that's the case for me. Since I can remember I've been afraid of v* and even my parents can tell stories about times I don't remember being an emet. They've said I've been like this my whole life actually. Maybe it's anxiety, maybe it's just because I think it's gross. Whatever the reason, I can't tell you how happy I'd be to find out what's going on myself. Welcome to the site and I hope you find what you are looking for!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

I also have been afraid of v* since I was very young. I would wake up my mom and be afraid but I never cried or freaked out, just hated it. It was not until I was an adult and realized that you can control it to some point that it became a full blown phobia.

I know exactly where mine's stems from, my mum is also mildly emetophobic so it has been a "learned" phobia.

At a seminar it was said that even the mildest reaction to you being s* or feeling unwell can cause the fear, such a tut, because it is a sign of disapproval, and when you're little you learn this disapproval and your subconsious mind decides it's bad to V* and so to avoid disapproval it manifests itself as the fear and is to be avoided at all costs.
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you think your anxiety could be the cause you may be right. I think even people who do not suffer from emetophobia become mildly anxious right before v*ing so perhaps becoming slightly anxious for you made you even more anxious and eventually afraid of v*ing? Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by IceMaiden View Post
    At a seminar it was said that even the mildest reaction to you being s* or feeling unwell can cause the fear, such a tut, because it is a sign of disapproval, and when you're little you learn this disapproval and your subconsious mind decides it's bad to V* and so to avoid disapproval it manifests itself as the fear and is to be avoided at all costs.
    I find that very interesting. I remember my mum talking about v* as if it was something I should try to avoid - "don't do this, don't do that, dont eat that, you might get n* and v*". I think I got the impression that it might be dangerous to lose control and that my way of losing control was potentially more dangerous than other people's ways - that my body somehow wasn't built to handle it the "right" way and that something really bad could happen. Worst case scenario: I die if I v*, because I can not do it properly.

(As an adult I find v* absolutely disgusting and will indeed try to avoid it at all costs - it is the "unthinkable" and unacceptable - but I don't consciously fear that it will kill me. Actually, death seems to be less frightening then v* and the one good thing about death is that dead people don't v* ...)

Christa, sorry to hear that you were molested. <3

Yeh I agree v* is like the end of the world for me, and I wondered if simply realising where the fear stemmed from is enough to cure it....
    I'm guilty of being innocent

I also feel this originated well before I can remember; however, I distinctly being horrified by kids in elementary school v* in class or on the school bus. I know I fear the act of v* but I am even more afraid of doing it in public or not being able to make it to a bathroom in time. I wish I could just get over it....

My very first memory is of me v*ing. I think that's why I'm so afraid, but I'm not really sure.

I too have had a few experiences as a child that make me think that emet. is a control issue for me. I too was molested as a child and also experienced a scary episode of someone v*. But I also think that for me it might be a form of OCD. I get obsessed with the n*/v* thoughts and begin the "ritual"- safe foods only, sanitize everything, isolate from sick people for atleast 24-48 hours, grape juice....on and on.

Between us- I sometimes like to pretend that I am just like my friends, no problem with v*, it's all good- when inside- I am sooo scared. But I must admit it feels sooo good to think (even if just for a moment) I am like everyone else, ya know?
    LaurieV

i had someone v on me in the 4th grade....i'm pretty sure that's when it started.........kind of went away during my high school years....thank god.....but back in full force in my late 20s till now.....you would think as you got older you would figure it out......pffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. i've been ocd since a little kid......b4 it was called ocd...had strange nighttime rituals i had to go through before i could sleep.....drove my sister crazy.........
    how i feel about emet