Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

What are the actually physical feelings you actually go through before actually being sick? I am so fed up of interpreting every single feeling I get as one of nausea. If anyone can give any... 'guidelines' I would much appreciate it.
    Hard Normal Daddy

I haven't actually done the deed for 10 years, but I've come close a couple of times. I can't describe what it feels like - just try to reassure you that, if the time comes, you WILL know it's for real. One little trick I have to try to decide if nausea is 'real', or just nerves or even hunger, is to imagine food! If you can happily imagine a plate of your favourite food, it's not real nausea!

Best wishes, Jill xxx

I am with you on that one Jill. I too find it helpful to think about food and find it very reassuring that when I realise I do fancy food it is not true nausea. I have had a couple of occasions where I have not been able to imagine eating at all and thought that was it. Definitely a good test.

I agree - that's my 'test' too! I've had plenty of occasions were I couldn't even drink water, let alone eat but still haven't done the deed.
    Nikki

when I had a bug a few weeks ago it started off with D* very badly, and my mouth felt a bit dry. I didn't really feel that sick but my stomach was feeling funny so I went to get a plain biscuit and I felt IT start to come up. Nothing happened for about 20 minutes after that but I was glad to have that warning or else things could have been a lot worse.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

I know you wouldn't even be able to think about food. For some reason, your throat will feel weird, you won't be able to swallow, I know your tongue locks down, and your mouth waters a lot. That's really bad nausea. At that point, you might v*. You will know it for sure though.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

It has been a long time since I have been sick. I did have a bit of morning sickness and I could NOT stand the smell of food or even the sight of it on TV when I was really nauseated. I had a really hard time swallowing even my own saliva which there wa a lot of because my mouth would salivate profusely.
    You know when it will happen andyou do tend to know when it is really going to happen and you get warning if you are going to be sick it doesn't just happen.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

apparently here are some signs that SOME people show jsut before they v* (remember just cos u show some of these signs dont mean ur defenitely gnna v*)

1.) a sudden increase in the amount of saliva in ur mouth

2.) light-headedness/weakness

3.) a "heavy chin" - my friend told me this one - the gland under ur chin will feel heavy if ur close to v*ing

4.) feeling faint/shakey

ummm..... <carries on thinking as she walks away>

xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really shouldn't have read this thread. Now I am really scared. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

The "heavy chin" thing that Jenneh mentioned might be when the tongue locks down. That can definitely make your chin feel heavy b/c your tongue is pressing down hard. **sorry if this sounds gross**[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Yeah, for me it's usually that throat feeling. You know- hard to swallow, etc.
    -Anna

laura, dont be scared hun, reading all of those symptoms - i never get ANY of them, i just feel sick! it depends on the person, each individual has there own tell tale sign of when they are about to v*, mines a very heavy sick feeling in my stomach, an thats about all !
    if u never get these feelings then its very unlikey that u wont get them in the future, everyones different
    xxxxx

Aww thanks faith m...i really appreciate that =)

I think if i sat here and told you all you know you will be sick when your leg twitches.....and you started feeling sick, your leg would twitch or you would think it would. It is different for everyone and its hard to explain, you just KNOW its unlike panic nausea and you know its for real. But this post will make you think things, like when i first heard about the saliva thing anytime i panicked after that i was 100% sure i had too much saliva. Even though i didnt and i wasnt sick. we are all different. When it happens you will know straight away that its going to

x
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Ugh, I don't think I should have read this either.....

.I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

yep hippy chick, your definately right! also a lot of those symptoms occur depending on what illness u actually have. if ur not ill in anyway and say uve got motion sickness from a car or sumthin, ull just feel EUGH sick, u wont get any of that, an if uve never experienced any of them symptoms b4 v* then u wont experience them later on in life, its like when sumone says 'i faint when i see a needle' an another person will say 'oh i dont i dont mind needles' its exactly the same with this, what happens to sum people wont happen to others! )
    xxxxx

Hippychick is right on. Whatever symptom we list, your brain will manufacture it next time you panic. Honestly. Trust me on this one. The brain just totally works that way.

The only way you can get over this worrying about every symptom is to write down the symptoms in a daily journal on a list. Then when you don't vomit, try to make mental note that this symptom did not lead to vomiting, so the next time you get it, you don't need to panic. It may take time and a lot of practice, but that's the only thing that works. People have gastrointestinal symptoms and gurglings and pains and all sorts of stuff every day. You only vomit once every 30 years or whatever...so it takes some time to sort it out in your head, but keep working on it.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.