Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My idea of overcoming it... what do you think???

First of all sorry about all the posts..........
    I am soo terrified and I dont want to live a life like this because it's just nt worth living like this.... the thought of throwing up makes me want to die. (you all probably feel the same) I am actually prepared to do ANYTHING to stop fearing it. I had this idea, that scares me to death, to help me get over it... I will make myself sick I know it's dodgy... I will do it in the morning after drinking some water... when nobody is at home so no-one will hear... Its soooo scary but may help... what do you guys think???

Default Re: My idea of overcoming it... what do you think???

I don't think it's a really good idea... it might make you more afraid. I think what you should do instead is when you get n* to just go with it and tell yourself that you'll just let yourself v* and that it's all ok. 99% of the time when we're n* we don't get sick but i think the fighting it is what fuels this phobia. You also might find your n* goes away quicker if you just tell yourself it's ok to v* because then you realize you don't actually have to!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

I don't think it is a good idea either. There have been other people on this site that have made themselves thow up to "cure" themselves and it didn't work. I think Lisalulu had a great idea. The next time you feel sick just go with it. But I wouldn't make yourself sick on purpose. I really don't think it will help.

Instead just don't avoid it. If there's anything you eat/any situation you avoid because of you're scared you might get sick - don't avoid it.

If it's eating a certain type of food, going on a long car ride or plane trip, hanging out with friends who recently had the stomach flu. Just don't avoid anything, and eventually you'll begin to overcome it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <- clicky
    I'm a recovered emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been through this befeore. Did self-induce with water several times to try to get past my emet fears of myself getting sick.

It was an interesting experience, however it did not cure me or even affect the anxiety.

What you will find is, the feeling of making yourself throw up a lot of water is nothing like the feeling of being nauseaus. You will "throw up" but it is not anything like "being sick" and as such it won't have much effect on the anxiety.

When I did this, it definately didn't make me worse. It did make me a little more comfortable with my own body though.

I got over the emet slowly through education, willpower, and just staying busy and letting life and adventures keep me distracted from it.

I came to realize the fear was a fear of losing control and being shamed in front of others. That's one reason self-inducing water in the privacy of my own bathtub stall had no anxiety effect on me!

Take care and know that in the end you'll get through this!

Respectfully,
    David

Perhaps I will not do that then... I just dont know what to do, I could try changing my mind set, gettiing distractions... I find my phobia gets worse when change happens, is that the same with anyone else???
    Thankyou for telling me not to do that... im not being sarcastic btw lol

I second DJ's advice! Just don't avoid!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I agree that you shouldn't do it. Just let it happen when it happens. Tell youself.."if I get sick, I get sick. I'm not going to not do this/go here just because there is a slim chance it might happen" By not trying to control it, it can't control you.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”