Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stomach CT scan

Default Stomach CT scan

Hi everyone!
    I am a 32-year-old woman, new to this forum, and I’ve had emetophobia all my life. And of course, because life is full of irony, I’ve been having stomach problems since I was little. I have chronic gastritis, chronic diarrhea, and in the summer of -08 I was diagnosed with celiac disease (the gluten-free diet I’m on now hasn’t done anything to my stomach problems). I’ve had to go through four gastroscopys, and they were all worse than the one before, even though the last time I even got an intravenous sedative. I’ve told the hospital that I’m never going to a gastroscopy again if I can’t get it done under general anesthesia. In addition to the four gastroscopys, I’ve also had two colonoscopys and one capsule endoscopy.
    And now, next Wednesday, I’m going to a stomach CT scan. The thing that frightens me is the oral contrast I have to drink one liter (!) before the procedure. I’m afraid that it’ll taste awful and will make me sick. And the sheer amount of the stuff makes me feel sick already, because I have trouble even drinking one glass of water at one time. I know there’s one hour to drink that stuff, but still, seems impossible to me. So, if anyone has been to a stomach CT, I’d like to hear your experiences.

Default Re: Stomach CT scan

i had a test years ago where i had to drink a huge glass of barium.....then drink some fizzy thing.....sorry i dont remember what the test was called.....but i know that it did not make me sick......had to drink lots of water that night to make sure all the barium would leave my body......so it was not a bad test.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

not bad...had 3 of them...youll be fine...feel better...i am shocked that the gluten free diet has not helped with the stomach issues. how long have you been on it? I have many firends that have celiacs or are at least gluten intoloerant...I think lots of people on here should look into gluten allerigies...it causes a lot of everyones symptoms...

I have had to get three ct scans. They mix the contrast with soda it's not bad...and I never ever finish it haha. But they inject you with contrast which makes a burning sensation in your body which can be scary but only lasts for like five seconds

I am having an Endocscopy tomorrow and am TERRIFIED! I wish I was having a CT Scan again....I just had one Saturday and it was NOTHING. They mixed whatever that stuff is with Red Powerade and I drank it with no problem. I just kept talking to my mom while drinking it and watching TV and before I knew it, it was gone and I was ready to do the test. You'll be fine. It is funny though when you go to get under the CT Scan and they inject you through your IV with this stuff that supposed to help show anything 'bad' on your scan...the nurse will tell you ''it feels like you've wet yourself, but you haven't" lol, and it did feel like that
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Thanks to you all for making me feel more at ease!

Kell1429, I wish you all the best for your endoscopy! I hope they'll make it fast. Heh, my fellow worker also told that thing about the feeling of wetting yourself when you get the IV contrast She also told that there is a metallic taste in your mouth after the IV.

ann32, I've been on a gluten free diet for about 1,5 years now. The doctor agreed that the stomach problems should have gotten better by now, if they were from the celiac disease. That's why I'm getting the CT scan now, to see if there's something wrong with some other internal organ than the actual stomach. I think all my stomach problems are caused by the anxieties I have, although I'd prefer something that could be cured with a medication or something...

man that stinks...im really sorry. I am sure all will gow ell and I hope they dont find anything...

I have Celiac Disease too!!!! Is it possible you have other food intolerances that are causing your stomach problems? Many Celiacs are allergic to other foods as well and just don't realize it. I am also intolerant to Caesin (the main protien in all dairy). The best way to describe my Celiac experience is TRAUMATIC. Feel free to IM or email me. I don't come here very often- but you can add me on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...51579&ref=name

I've had that test- it is nasty, but you can do it. I'm the biggest wimp around, and I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kell1429 View Post
    It is funny though when you go to get under the CT Scan and they inject you through your IV with this stuff that supposed to help show anything 'bad' on your scan...the nurse will tell you ''it feels like you've wet yourself, but you haven't" lol, and it did feel like that
    I have had pelvic/abdominal CT scans too and they really aren't that bad. I was really nervous, but I was totally fine during and after. You're right, the IV contrast does make you feel like you have peed your pants, but you aren't and you won't. IV MgCl does the same thing. You could also ask for an injection of an anti nauseant before you start drinking the contrast to easy your mind a bit. Good luck and let us know how it goes! You will be ok!

The CT scan is done now and I’m okay The only nasty thing about it was that the vein they put the IV contrast in, burst, and it hurt quite a bit, and now I have a weird looking big bump on my arm, because the contrast got under the skin. Then they had to put the IV to my other arm and put the rest of the contrast there.
    The liquid I had to drink before the procedure was plain water, so that wasn’t a problem. There was a liter of it, and I didn’t quite finish it, but it didn’t matter. Now I’ll just be waiting for the results…

Glad it is over! Let me know when you get some results. I'm sorry you're not better taking the gluten out of your diet. It's not easy eating gluten free. Hope it gets better! Have you tried an elimination type diet to see if you react to anything else? I can send you a link if you're interested.

I'm starting to think that maybe I might be allergic to milk protein... The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I'm not lactose intolerant, that has been tested twice, but maybe I could be allergic to the protein in the milk. I can't usually eat chocolate or ice-cream before I've had "real" food, or I'll have diarrhea. Same thing if I eat yoghurt for breakfast. I also easily get diarrhea if I make my own gluten-free pizza. I've thought that maybe it's the fatty cheese that does it, but now I'm thinking it might just be the cheese itself, because of the milk in it. If it's something as simple as that, and I've suffered for 32 years, I think I'll hit my head in the nearest wall

Glad the CT went well for you Yeah, milk, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish and shellfish are all ultra common food allergens. Lactose intolerance can be diagnosed using a H+ breath test, which is simple and non invasive. You may also want to look into IgE (immediate allergies) and IgG food allergy testing (delayed reaction allergies or sensitivities). IgE allergies can be diagnosed by an allergist/immunologist, but you will probably have to see a naturopathic doctor for IgG testing via the blood. I had it done and have TONS of food allergies; but I really do feel so much better when I avoid them.

I have to get an pelvic/abdominal CT scan soon because ive had this pain in my stomach for 3 weeks now and i have been to the doctors once and the ER twice.
    is there anything i should worry about?