Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up I did it! (Follow up to airplane story)

Well, I just returned from my trip and I know a lot of you were interested in knowing how it went and I thank you all for encouraging me. To make a long story short, nobody was sick on any of my flights (or at least not to my knowledge!).

On the way there, I was lucky enough to have an empty seat separating me and another passenger. Funny enough, the passenger was a nervous wreck herself, and commented on how calm I was. When I told her otherwise, we were both laughing. She couldn't sit still and was really freaking out, so I offered her one of my tranquilizers (probably not a wise thing, but she eluded to being a pill popper in general). 20 minutes later, she had stopped stretching and tapping her leg and was sleeping! I was telling her she'd be fine and it was funny...I was telling her things I needed to tell myself. By making someone else feel comfortable, I felt even more comfortable.

On the way home, I missed my flight. There was some turbulence and I got nervous only because I was afraid people would be ill. But people were sleeping and reading newspapers and I had a classy little couple next to me who brought a box of Triscuits and chopped veggies. When the plane was descending, I kept hearing people coughing, so I just turned up my iPod (even though they say no mechanical devices). I admit, I did look around while on these flights and make sure everyone looked "okay" or if they were bending down, they were going in their bag and not doing anything else.

I had a connecting flight on this tiny commuter plane with propellers, which for me was obviously a nightmare. I was thinking, aren't these the ones that always crash? It seated about 28 people. I, of course, get the last seat all the way in the back. I was next to a nice man who calmed me down, when I was saying, WHAT is this plane?? Another passenger had told me the plane would be fine - and that it's only bad in rough weather because it doesn't handle turbulence well and one time she felt nauseous. Luckily, it was a beautiful day and we only had to fly 27 minutes. So after being completely stressed out all day, missing my flight, not eating anything but a smoothie and a banana 9 hours before...I'm thinking, well, I have plastic bag in my carry on if this thing is going to make me sick. Well! It started up and can I tell you, I enjoyed every minute of it! Obviously it doesn't fly at a high altitude so the view of the lights and the city were really nice to look at. The other passengers were reading newspapers and totally unfazed.

I was really proud of myself for not completely freaking out when these plans went awry. Trust me, it was not easy, running around different airports, trying to find where gates and different things were...especially when at times, I felt a little ill from nervousness as well. But I was so focused on what I was doing, I didn't have time to dwell on that. I even had to ride on a shuttle bus! It's funny - I was thinking about this message board at certain times and remember some of the stories about buses, etc. I don't know if that's good or bad, haha.

Also, I should mention: I had to use a lot of public toilets and obviously touched a lot of different things throughout this entire trip. Before I left, I had been reading this board and getting worried about norovirus. Well, I didn't even think too much about it during my trip. It was more of a conscious thing - like when I flushed the toilet, I made sure I was out of the stall to avoid the spray of germs. People were coughing on the plane and who knows if they were sick or what...but I was healthy throughout my trip.

I realized that when I had things to do or worry about, I had less time to dwell on if this was going to give me noro, etc. Of course, hygiene was always in my mind and I was careful, but I did not dwell on it afterwards at all. I was too busy enjoying my trip. And "living" as we're supposed to be doing.

As for people who are afraid to get airsick themselves - I feel like the more you fly, the more accustomed you get to the plane and how it feels. The first time I flew last year, I couldn't look out the window. Every time the plane turned and tipped, I'd feel dizzy and nervous. This time, I looked out the window nearly the entire time and did not feel that way at all. I even felt like it was exciting at times. I tried to appreciate the beauty of what i was seeing. We did have some turbulence, but nothing severe like roller-coaster feeling. I did get nervous at every landing, just because I think I heard that's when people get sick, if they're going to. Honestly, I don't know why that happens...I know everyone is different, but there is nothing that bad about it. It feels weird at moments and it gets a little more rough, but I was thinking, I don't understand why or how people would get sick over this? I guess if you are nervous, the movements can be unsettling, but like I said - if you do it a few times, it doesn't bother you anymore.

I'm already thinking about where I want to go next! I want to keep the momentum going before I become scared again, haha. I know I will probably never be a frequent flyer (nor would I want to be), but I also don't want to feel unable to do these things at all. I have come a long way. Especially because I only ever have flown alone since I've started flying.

The only way to get over your fear is to do it...and keep doing it until you at least become comfortable with it. I'll probably always be uneasy on planes to a certain degree. But I'm not going to let it prevent me from getting on one like I used to.

Maybe the only thing I did do "wrong" was skip out on St. Patty's Day night time activities. I stayed in while my friend went out with her friend. I told her I could not deal with "amateur night" crowds and drunken young people possibly being sick. I told her if I see someone sick, I'll have a panic attack. But I didn't really care because those atmospheres tend to bore me regardless.

So that's my whole story. I hope someone can take something from this and use it to help them with something they want to do. Don't expect so much of yourself: be scared and do it anyway.
    Last edited by alexikiss; 03-21-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Default Re: I did it! (Follow up to airplane story)

That's fantastic! I'm lucky that I started flying frequently at 9 months old so by the time I was old enough to be able to worry about it I was so used to it that I knew that airsickness almost never happens and certainly not to me!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

that sounds amazing......so glad you had an event-free time......makes the next one even easier.....live on!!
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What an uplifting and wonderful story!! I'm so happy for you!! I hope this is the first of many lovely travel experiences for you...

Thanks, everyone!

Im glad it went so well

What a great story alexikiss! Thanks for sharing it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Congrats! I am new to this site, so I havn't read any other posts. But when I was younger, I got sick on a plane once. It was only becuse it was an early flight and I drank milk before. No one has ever gotten sick around me, but I feared that if they did, I would have no where to go. Since then, I could not fly without worrying about someone around me getting sick. Since then, I have to take Dramamine before flights, long car rides, and amusment park rides. I know it was only in my head. I went to a Hypnotherapist and since then I have been able to fly on planes without worrying! Buuuuut, I still have the phobia of people around me getting sick anywhere else. Which is a problem and a whole nother story.

Thanks again, guys! I'm already looking forward to my next trip in a couple of months!

While I'm never going to *enjoy* flying and I'll still be apprehensive of what happens to others, I'm not going to let it stop me or literally keep me up at night, as it had been. I can only worry about what I do and what happens to me - and I'm not easily motion sickened. If someone looks to be sick near me, I will get away from them ASAP and perhaps make a scene, haha...but I will worry about that when it happens.

help im only 14 when will this end its ruined my social life all i do is sit at home now im sooo depressed help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!