Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What started your phobia?

I've always read that there is some "traumatic" thing that started yours. For me, it was getting FP from McD's. It just went on from there. In 3rd grade on a flight with my parents the man in front of us was V* the whole way from Florida to Texas. Then the boy next to me in 5th grade V* on his desk and mine. The list goes on and on....

What's yours?

Default Re: What started your phobia?

I have had it as long as I can remember, but my mom says I threw up in the car after eating too many timbits on a road trip and she shouted to my dad to pull over (because she was afraid I'd choke...I was really little) and she thinks maybe the shouting might have been scary for me, like I thought I was in trouble or I had done something wrong or dangerous. I don't remember it. She said before that, I used to make fun of her when she was having morning sickness (like pretend to puke) and after that, I was afraid of it....(but it dind't come up again for a while because I never got sick after that until grade 6...and even then did not v*)

haha sorry that was so long.

I'm not sure. I've been afraid of other people v* as long as I can remember. I do remember my dad v* after chemotherapy. He died of skin cancer when I was 8 years old. I don't have to many memories from before then so I suppose this is a fairly likely "cause"

Mine started when I v* in the middle of the night when I was 10. It was so unexpected and I guess I fear THAT particular scenario happen again. I guess it's the loss of control that initially terrified me although I wasn't even scared to v* when it was happening. Odd, huh?

I don't know what caused it. I remember being scared when i was 4 or 5, i think i had around 4 sv's at that age, and they all happened during the night. The phobia went away for a few years, until I got sick again at 10. Since then, it's taken over my life.

I'm honestly not sure exactly what started it. Because I used to V all the time when I was much much younger, but then when I was in kindergarten I remember that V was the worst thing possible and I was way too young to understand why. I think it was my brother though. When I was in kindergarten, in the beginning of the year, my brother V 3 times. Once in school, and twice at home, 3 seperate illnesses. But I don't really know why I became afraid because of them.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.