Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default do other people know?

Do other people know about your emetophobia?

I've told a few people, but only ones who have seen me have anxiety attacks because of it. I feel like they don't really understand that it's an actual phobia and not just disliking V*ing or other people V*ing. So have you guys told others.. and do they really get it??
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.

Default Re: do other people know?

My parents know that I'm more affraid of V* than other people, but they don't know that it consumes my life worrying about it. I wish someone knew, but they probably think you're weird!

Most people I get to know at all find out becuase I act crazy so often. It's easier to just explain it than keep trying to hide it.

All my family and close friends know. I feel like people just HAVE to know incase I freak out, and need some support, so I just tell everybody I get to know.

just told my husband, mom and sisters in january.........still havent confided in any friends......i just don't think they need to know....not sure how they would react.........i'm 58 years old and have kept it to myself all this time. i feel like if my friends know they will always be "watching" me that will make me more anxious......if i start to panic when i'm around them i usually make up some excuse to leave and go home.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I haven't told anyone....just my dog lol....my fiance or my family doesn't know.....i'm too embarrassed. They probably would think it's just some silliness that i need to "get over". They just know i have a fear of germs and getting sick.....I don't care to get a cold or anything....I just don't want to V*. My therapist doesn't even know.
    She just knows about the germ thing. I wish there where some support groups i could go to? anyone know of any in cleveland ohio??????

i tell everyone I could care less if they think Im nuts...its nothing to be ashamed of...its what makes us unique...everyone has a phobia and if they dont they are lying...my sons teacher has a phobia of condiments, she literally WILL LOSE IT if she sees ketchup. I think its weird, but she laughs at me bc she has no issues with puking...so we just makes fun of each other...I dont really need people to understand...my family thinks I just need to get over it...i tell them its not that simple and they just roll their eyes...they have never supported me anyway, so I could care less...My husband understands...but I am the only one who has to deal with it.

I told my mom a few months ago, and at first she was very awkward about it. She didn't realize that there even was such a phobia. As I have spent more time talking to her about it she has become more understanding.

My grandmother knows, and in fact, admitted that she too might have a touch of it. I found that amazing and comforting.

My boyfriend knows... probably more than anyone else. He's very supportive and helps me through when I'm having a panic attack or a rough day.

A couple close friends know. But only the ones who I trust to help me through.

And obviously my psychologist knows... that's the whole reason I know her!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Only by accident did I recently discover there was such a phobia and that I've suffered it most of my life. I'm a bit shy about disclosing- except in a sort of joking way to colleagues. For fear of my wife and family members not understanding or laughing, I'll keep it to myself. Thank goodness for this website.

Doon Doon....i'm going to therapy too....is yours helping you?

I havent really told anyone because they just dont get it. Everyone says "everyone hates to v*." I just feel alone and it really suxs :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CharliesMom View Post
    Doon Doon....i'm going to therapy too....is yours helping you?
    Yes, it really is! Basically the approach my therapist and I decided on was to use logic, and to also do a bit of systematic desensitization. I've had my good days and bad days, but overall it has been tons and tons of help!
    "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

Ann, I totally agree with you. I've been freaked out about v* since say, 5 (it predates all memory). This phobia is simply part of who I am, and I consider it to be "random trivia about me". When you've been "crazy" for so long (well over 20 years), your old friends and family just accept it, and that obviously you aren't going to change. I don't mind being laughed it, b/c it really IS a stupid phobia (which is what the defining part of a phobia is: an irrational fear). But when it comes down to it, If I am freaking out, my friends and family will support and help me...then laugh at me later.

I totally agree with the people here that say other people would just think it was not liking v*, rather than being incredibly afraid of it. My close family and best friend know,a nd luckily they've been so supportive. But I wouldn't tell anyone else, because I'm always worried that someone would use it against me, like pretend to get ill for fun. I've definitely tried to keep it a well hidden secret for most of my life, because you never know how people will react. I'm just so thankful that I could tell my family

My mom and boyfriend are really the only two people who know and acctually understand that it's a legitimate problem. I have friends who know but they aren't really sensitive to it and sometimes make fun of me for it. I try to keep it under wraps because it bothers me when people poke fun at me.

My boyfriend, father, mother,therapist, brother, sister and best friend know. My boyfriend has known the longest, the others just found out as recently as 2 months ago. And that's it... I get made fun of at work because they think I'm a germaphobe. I don't want to fuel their fire by telling them why I have the habits I have. I'm really sensitive : /

I just wish i could get over it already....but it's too hard.....it's easy when no one is sick around me and in the summer....but once i know someone is sick or was sick and winter comes I freak out so much that i drive myself and others crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ann32 View Post
    i tell everyone I could care less if they think Im nuts...its nothing to be ashamed of...its what makes us unique...everyone has a phobia and if they dont they are lying...my sons teacher has a phobia of condiments, she literally WILL LOSE IT if she sees ketchup. I think its weird, but she laughs at me bc she has no issues with puking...so we just makes fun of each other...I dont really need people to understand...my family thinks I just need to get over it...i tell them its not that simple and they just roll their eyes...they have never supported me anyway, so I could care less...My husband understands...but I am the only one who has to deal with it.
    Ketchup! Wow, I wish I had a fear of ketchup! To her it's probably miserable though. I would take a fear of anything over stupid V*.

Quote Originally Posted by alxndriamrqtt1 View Post
    Ketchup! Wow, I wish I had a fear of ketchup! To her it's probably miserable though. I would take a fear of anything over stupid V*.
    Ever been on YouTube and watched clips from Maury's phobia show? People afraid of mustard, balloons, jello, peaches, and cotton! Unbelievable. It makes me feel better about my phobia to see that there are others who have truly unreasonable fear.

Quote Originally Posted by DoonDoon View Post
    Ever been on YouTube and watched clips from Maury's phobia show? People afraid of mustard, balloons, jello, peaches, and cotton! Unbelievable. It makes me feel better about my phobia to see that there are others who have truly unreasonable fear.

I decided to watch some of those videos. Jeeze, at least our phobia can be serious. You can avoid pickles and balloons and pretty much everything else. But you CAN'T avoid V*!! Our phobia is legit.

Only my husband knows and is fully aware of how it affects my entire life. My sister knows and is starting to understand that it's not just "unpleasant." Maybe 3 other people, but yeah--no understanding to be had through them.

My parents know. They've known for years now as I've had it since I was 7. My grandma and aunt and maybe my cousins know, but they don't know the extent of my fear. They can't figure out why I would worry about it. They can't figure out why telling me to stop worrying won't make me stop worrying. I also plan on telling someone if I'm in a relationship with them, that and the IBS. That'll be a real fun conversation.

Well three close friends know, but they're not really aware of the extent of it... my mum and sister know, my dads 'keeping out of it' my godmother with emetophobia knows and her husband knows and she understands it my mum tells everyone though... we were walking down the street a few months ago and she sees her friend and shouts to him "Were off to the therapist about rachaels little problem" thanks mum :L:L So a bunch of other people probably know... somehow no-one understands unless you are actually emetophobic...
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"

My mum, my boyfriend and most of my closest friends know and thankfully they're all great about it. If they think a situation might make me uncomfortable then they will do whatever they can to get me away from it. So thankful to have them, especially since my old group of friends were very insensitive and no help in the slightest.
    It's true what they say, you know who your real friends are.

Also, my boyfriend and I have a sort of system going. I get rid of spiders (he HATES them) and he'll mute the TV/change the channel when he knows a v* scene is coming up.