Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Coughing and Panic Attacks

Does anyone else find that hearing other people coughing causes a panic attack? This has always set of my emetophobia even when it wasn't reelly affecting my life on a large scale. I've just always associated people coughing and people vomiting.

Default Re: Coughing and Panic Attacks

My brother slept at my house last night. He has been dealing with a terrible cough for months. He coughed so hard he was gagging and nearly v*....but for some reason it didn't bother me at all. It was annoying, but I wasn't scared. Lol. I've noticed I'm not that afraid of other people v*....but I will die if I do it myself!

Yeah, sometimes it bothers me. Several months ago I was eating at a restaurant in the bar area. There was this older woman sitting several tables away, she was smoking heavily and drinking. Something choked her up and she started coughing constantly. It was so bad that she would gag and then continue coughing. Then it died down and she lit up again and continued drinking. When she had another attack I had to leave. Got right up, told my friends I was leaving and got out of there as fast as I could. I kept feeling like I was going to gag too. It took awhile to calm down, but luckily I didn't have an attack.

Interesting! I've never experienced that. Unfortunately my panic attacks come out of nowhere...

But when someone has one of those deep, nasty, phlegmy coughs....ewww. Totally grossed out...

I get this all the time, and my family know not to come near me if they've got a cold. I'm also the same with sniffing for some reason, that makes me feel ill too. When i'm at work and people come in with hayfever and things, i'm constantly watching them to make sure it goes no further!

Yes i feel the same way..i hate it..i always think the longer/harder they cough, they will eventually v*.

I think that too, because I know from experience heavy coughing makes you feel ill. My manager at work told me once that she didn't like s* and she had a cough which kept making her nearly become ill. When she told me I watched her all night, although obviously I wouldn't have wanted to see anything, and then I got paranoid if I coughed i'd get ill too!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I was a bit funny about it when I was younger but since I had someone v* in my mum's car who we were giving a lift it started my emetophobia off. I think alot of my repulsion from people coughing also began at that point because he had been coughing for ages before he v*.

My dad has a bad cough, and he will cough and cough until he properly gags. It's disgusting!