Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Alcohol

Default Alcohol

I have never drank in my life except for sips here and there for stomach reasons, medication I am on and of course, the phobia.

Now, I have never really cared that I couldn't drink, tthough I am older now and curious. I am insanely shy and wonder if having one would just loosen me up. Mostly, Im ok with it... However, nobody else is. My friends accept it kinda, but still try and get me to give it a try. My ex hated that I didn't drink and thought I was crazy which is why he dumped me. And now..I am seeing/talking to a new guy and he already admitted it bugged him. We have only hung out once where people were drinking. It was his bros grad party with all his family. Even if I did drink, I wouldn't the first time meeting them! I just am getting really upset with this because we have so much in common besides drinking, which I don't think should even be a factor!
    So, now I almost feel like I should just try it. I am sick of this being a deal breaker with friends and guys. I just don't want to puke. He knows I don't like it, but not that it's an actual phobia.
    Being a small girl, I'm 5'3 and 105 lbs..on lexapro and not a heavy eater would one wine cooler do me in? So far those are the only things I liked and my mom says there isn't much to them.

Or, if you don't drink..how to you handle it? I don't make it a big deal, it's everybody else
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Default Re: Alcohol

if you dont want to drink then dont...if people dont appreciate you for your decisions in your life than they are not for you. I am 32 and started drinking at 27 when my ex fiance and I broke up. I just have always had a glass or 2 of wine...if i am at a place that doesnt serve wine then I dont drink. I dont like beer or liqour (i dont even know how to spell it)...do what makes you feel comfortable...if you want to try drinking do it bc you are curious in wine tasting or something...dont do it bc people make you feel bad about it.

Alcohol is overrated. It can make you more social, but for the inexperienced drinker it will often turn into making an ass of yourself and getting sick before you even realize you drank too much. If you don't want to drink, don't. If your friends can't have a good time without getting trashed, it may sound harsh, but it's probably time for some new friends.

If you really feel it's necessary to drink in order to fit in, you could always just take a beer or cooler and pretend to sip on it the entire night. Unless you're in a chugging contest no one will likely notice.
    'I am a sick man...I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I think my liver is diseased. Then again, I don't know a thing about my illness; I'm not even sure what hurts.'

If he is bothered a little by your drinking stance, it's probably not that "you won't drink or party hard" but more of just "wish you would be a little more open to having a drink or two now or then socially."

You can totally do it without getting sick, just keep a couple things in mind:
    1. 1-2 drinks is plenty for a female who has never drank before. You will probably be able to feel the effect of one
    2. Drink slowly, take at least 20 minutes to finish your drink, and after that wait another 25 minutes before you decide to have any more.
    3. Make sure you are not drinking on an empty stomach

Also, ask to have small tastes of a variety of different things so you can figure out what you like.
    Oh and a wine cooler is about the equivalent of a beer ~ 1 drink

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys! I really am curious and do want to try it, but it's hard.
    Said guy is blowing me off now, but oh well! I will keep the tips in mind. I don't want to have more than one anyway. Hopefully when I get a chance to try it turns out well.
    I will when I'm ready.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I've had my phobia since I was 8...at the ages of both 16 and 18 I got drunk. Now, I didn't get crazy drunk or anything, but I was definitely tipsy and feeling pretty good both times. Anyhow, I always worried drinking would cause me to get sick, but it didn't either time. Now, I'm 21, and I don't drink still out of fear, but from experience as long as you drink in moderation you should be fine. You just have to remember to tell yourself that one or 2 drinks won't hurt you. And as previously mentioned, you can always sip them slowly. Hope this helps. =)

I drink quite often and honestly it's one of the only things that calms down my emet. It stops me feeling anxious and so it stops the fear, my only problem is to stop drinking so much to self medicate! :P

i don't drink......never have....never been a problem with friends or boyfriends........don't let anyone :guilt" you into drinking........
    how i feel about emet

Glad you have the courage to challenge yourself this way! Keep up the positive thinking

I drink, but I’m always conscious of when I’m getting to the point where I have to stop or things won’t be good for me. One thing I hate most about alcohol and the phobia, is when I pick up my roommate from the bars or her friends, or have to deal with anyone else that’s drank themselves to oblivion and made themselves ill, I find that disgusting. I also hate the shame I feel when I’m near someone who is ill and there are others nearby and they see my reaction.

Please don't think that you have to drink to fit in! This is a ridiculous notion. I've got plenty of friends that don't do it, and find plenty of other things to occupy themselves with!

If you really do want to try drinking though, take all the advice that has been given you so far. I remember my first beer made me feel pretty tipsy, just after having one. I would for sure stick to only one or two until you become more seasoned.
    If you are worried about getting sick from drinking, please don't. I'll admit that I can be a heavy drinker at some times. I have never gotten sick from alcohol and have had 9 shots and 5 beers in one night. Build up a tolerance and you'll be fine. Remember--there is never a physical need for you to throw up. Sometimes I've felt ill in the morning, but I've never v*ed.

I hope this helps and remember--don't let anyone pressure you into using substances you are not comfortable with! Hope all works out for you!
    ~Clare <3

I drink very rarely, so find that it's really easy for me to get tipsy from just a few drinks, while i've never felt ill I always get dizzy and light-headed which worries me, so if you do want to start drinking, I agree that only a few glasses would make sense