Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New Member/Old member

Hi everyone. I am a new member here. I was actually a pretty active member about 5 years ago when there were very few people on this website but decided that hearing about other people's fears about emetophobia were actually making things more difficult for me. but now, I'm more than halfway recovered. At my worse, I was about 100 pounds and petrified to eat anything other than crackers or herbal tea. I think i lived off that for a few months before seeing a therapist for EMDR which changed my life. I didn't actually think it would work but it did. I've gained 28 pounds since then and am in perfect shape. If anything, I eat like a monster nowadays, I almost never feel sick, and I never think about being sick. I have to admit, I'm still quite uncomfortable about other people being sick but I feel perfectly fine about me being sick. This is a breakthrough! Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to you guys. I know exactly how all of you feel and I wanted to offer my sympathy and also see if EMDR helped anyone else.

Default Re: New Member/Old member

that's amazing......congrats on your progress!! i've never had the eating issue (sometimes wish i did....j/k) but i'm so glad that you're healthy again........

hopefully you can help guide some of us here....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have been doing EMDR therapy for about a month and im still not sure how I feel about it! I think it has helped for the most part but I still fear getting sick!

But congrats on your progress! It always makes me happy to hear when others are overcoming this phobia...it gives the rest of us hope =]
    "This too shall pass"

It takes a long time but it's worth it. I think the average amount of sessions for it to full work is about 50 sessions. I don't want to discourage you by any means. I think it's great that you are doing it! Just know that it's a lot of work and it will take some time. I, still to this day don't really understand how it worked but it did and I'm very grateful. It took me about a year of weekly sessions before I was able to be sick and not be completely terrified. lol. but it was a really great feeling that I knew I could cope. Actually, with EMDR, we focused on what caused my phobia more than the actual phobia. For me, I was a victim of child abuse and I developed emetophobia in order to deal with the trauma. So, we focused on all the memories of my trauma and my emetophobia started to get better. It's amazing.