Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This sounds horrible and ignorant but...

I feel like my emetophobia is so sevre that if I were to ever get cancer, and I had to choose between Kemo and living with cancer, I would proabably choose living with cancer. You v* so much from kemo, and it's usually really sevre too. That terrifies me, I may just sound ignorant but does anyone agree with me?

Default Re: This sounds horrible and ignorant but...

I feel the same, I was irrationally thinking one day and I couldnt make up my mind if I had cancer, would I be able to vomit? Or live the last of my life to the full? Defiantly awful decision... I actually read about an emet who had cancer, they just struggled through and it got them over it, then about 5 years later her emet came back.
    "I aspire to be greater than my nature will allow"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i've thought about that alot.....in my mind i think i would say no to chemo.....but i think my family and friends would convince me to go for it.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No need to feel this way...I feel the same way too. I really don't think I could EVER go through with it if I had to. I would have to be guaranteed not to get sick, which is probably impossible. It is kind of awful to say but that is how I feel...

wow I always thought i woul be the only one who could think of such a situation. I ve seen someone go through chemo and it is terrible!! I ve imagined myself in that situation..impossible! I think i would say no but just like olscheky my mom would probably be able to convince but that would definitly be the worst for any emet!! Dont feel bad about thinking that way!!

I definitely feel the same way. I've thought about it before and no way would I be able to go through with it

Yep add me to the list of thinkers on this I have always said to hubby i could not ever do chemo it causes a huge fight between us.

But like the rest of you it terrifies me just thinking about it

Hello, I always think this in my own mind, you are not alone in thinking this. i'm overwhelmed right now at some of these posts, as i've had these thoughts myself for many many,years.

Im SO glad i'm not alone in thinking this!! I always thought people would think I was crazy if I said it. Having said that, in the situation I would probably be more inclined to have chemo.

My Mum is also Emetophobic and she was diagnosed with cancer last year, she has to have chemo soon and she is terrified but pretty sure she's going to go through with it. I'm so proud of her because I know how scared she is, not only of the cancer but also the chemo.

my mom had colon cancer 10 years ago.......she had to have 96 straight hours of chemo at the beginning of her radiation treatment and the same thing 10 weeks later.......she NEVER got sick. they gave her alot of anti emet drugs.......she was lucky.......don't know if i could stay calm enough to sit through it.......hope i never have to find out!!
    how i feel about emet

I have been thinking about this a lot recently, too. It's so amazing that some one else has thought the same thing. Zofran (ondansetron which is a strong anti nausea anti vomit) is frequently given to chemo/ radiation patients and that stuff works. I keep a bottle of it in the house at all times just in case.

i think about this a lot too... in fact, i'm not 18 yet so i knew if i had to get chemo my parents would make me. so ive even planned out how i would run away in my head...
    super pathetic! :/
    but from what i have seen and read, it can happen, but it's rare not to v* with chemo
    ~Claryn :3
    Listen to my conversation with Dr. Drew on Loveline about emetophobia (warning: slightly graphic, fakey v* sound effect):

I've been thinking about that lately. I'm prescribed on Ondansetron tablets, and they're usually used for vomiting in radiation and chemotherapy.

My mum had cancer around 12 years ago. The chemo was awful, she'd fall asleep standing up. I can only remember her v-ing from it once, and it was right in front of me. I was horrified! You're not alone in thinking this. Surely powerful anti-emetics could stop it from happening?

I was having this exact conversation with my therapist the other day! I said the same :\ But I guess it might be different if I was in the real situation rather than just speculating... x

I have thought of this too. I ultimately decided I would do the chemo since I know it would hurt my family so much if I didn't.

I do recall an ancient thread on here about emets who had gone through chemo without V... let me go dig that up!

EDIT: Found it! There is two actually! They are OLD so I wouldn't post on them necessarily, but they are a good read.
    http://emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=17940
    http://emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=18875
    Last edited by asianeko; 07-03-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added Chemo links

You may find these links helpful!

100%!!!1 I was just talking about this earlier!! I would be terrified to go through chemo/radiation. No Way!!

I am right with all of you, I don't think I would be willing to have chemo between the emet and vanity. Sounds terrible, but it is true. I have had a lot of surgery in the past few years and I always beg the anaesthetist to make sure I do not v* from the anaesthesia and other drugs, and that I would rather die on the table than be n* or worst of all v* after surgery.

Irrational, yes, but it is how I feel.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Wow, I thought I was the only person who ever considered this. I was always too afraid to ever bring it up because it sounded weird and wrong to me. I've really thought about and honestly, I don't know what I'd do but I feel like I'd rather die then go through chemo. I just don't think mentally I could survive that much vomiting, even if my body lived I feel it would damage my already fragile psyche so bad it wouldn't matter if I was alive or not. Then again this is coming from someone who had the stomach flu last October and suffered anxiety to the point of seriously considering suicide for about four months afterward.

Well, I hope that decision never has to be made

Unhappy Re: This sounds horrible and ignorant but...

I find this thread unbelievable that we all think the same way about chemo. Another thing I have avoided is having children as always feared morning sickness!!!

Don't think I could manage chemo either

Thought I was the only one to have thought this through. It just felt wrong but I'm fairly sure I couldnt go through with chemo/radiation unless I could have a 100% guarantee that I wouldnt v*. My only doubt would be leaving my daughter even though she is 19 she's still my baby!! My sister just started chemo/radiation last wk and got so sick the first day, but since then theyve given her anti-nausea tablets which seem to be keeping the worst of the s*ness at bay, now she says she just feels n*.

Though it seems hard, if you get sick, you need to get help. My grandpa got lung cancer almost 1 year ago and didnt tell anyone and didnt seek treatment. He was scared and in denial, and treatment wouldve saved his life. This morning we got a call from my grandma who found him collapsed Tonight he is 1000 miles away unconscious and on his death bed. I wouldve said different things had i known it would be the last thing. I pray to god we get a miracle and he makes it thru the night.

Im gettiing off topic. Dont let the fear LITERALLY KILL YOU.
    "Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon everything's different."

I think either way you'd end up v*ing because cancer itself causes you to become very ill in the end stages. I don't know if I'd do the chemo, not only because of the v*ing side effects but what it does to your body, it destroys you and sometimes it doesn't even work so you end up living your last few days in misery instead of possibly enjoying it. I honestly don't know what I'd choose until faced with the situation.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

The Dirty South and The Great White North.

I agree with the ones who say that emet should not kill you. Help is crucial if you do end up with cancer.

I personally worry that someone special in my life will get cancer and I won't be able to be there for them, or support them, or even go see them because of it.

I could lose the last days with some of the special people in my life because of this.

See, Although I am an emetophobe, I'm scared of dying more than being scared of p*. I would probab;y sacrifice the v*ing, so i could live. If I get cancer, I want to beat it, for the people I've lost to it.It's stupid I know, but...
    Last edited by IluvMichaelJackson; 08-09-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: More to say

Quote Originally Posted by IluvMichaelJackson View Post
    See, Although I am an emetophobe, I'm scared of dying more than being scared of p*. I would probab;y sacrifice the v*ing, so i could live. If I get cancer, I want to beat it, for the people I've lost to it.It's stupid I know, but...
    I was reading through this thread wondering what I would do. And then I read your post and my heart leapt like it hasn't in a long time and I had to keep myself from panicking.

So I guess I know my answer. I'd hate it, but I'd chose the chemo.

Oh sorry I made you panic :S

I told my family if I ever got cancer they can say goodbye because I'm not going through chemo, but I've had a little re think and all my life the only thing that has stopped me from ending my own life because of the misery of having this phobia is the pain I would cause to my loved ones, and I would cause them the same pain if I were to turn down a treatment that could save my life, so long as I have my loved ones, I'll keep the fight up!
    I'm guilty of being innocent

Long before I ever heard the word emetophobia, or considered that there was anyone else in the world who felt like I did, I always described my fear as "If the doctor told me I would die unless I took this medicine, but the medicine would make me throw up, I wouldn't take it." I still feel that way. Thankfully, I've been very healthy all of my 57 years!