Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Read these childhood "mindjobs"

when I was 7, 8, and and 9 and being raised an Irish Catholic and went to a Catholic school, to stop the fear that I was gonna vomit I would pray to God over and over to not let it happen until i fell alseep from exhaustion -I also wrote prayers on regular line paper and then would paste them in newspaper to hide them - I also believed if I was good in school then God would help my fear of vomiing
    Around 10 - 11 - and 12, I refused to eat any condiments - ketchup, mustard, mayo, any dressings and especially Vinegar. In fact i hated them and believed they could make me vomit. My brothers knew my aversions to these things and when my parent weren't home, would hold me down and force feed a combination of them to me. Can't even describe the torment I felt. eventually I developed an anxiety to be around them when my parents were not home.
    Eventually as a teenager, my freinds got wind of my aversion to these condiments and when we use to play pranks on one another - they sprayed my friend's whole car with Vinegar. I was so into a panic! We went though a car wash and the smell didn't go away. Finally I had to get out and walk home.

Default Re: Read these childhood "mindjobs"

That is horrible you poor thing. I cant even imagine how you felt.

sorry you went through that..........are you able to eat any of those things now???
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No I still detest all condiments except barbeue sauce, A1 sauce, and olive oil. Vinegar makes me gag and if i iorder something i always so NO MUSTARD, KETCHUP, or MAYO. Cant tell you how many times i want out to eat, with all my fears and phobia, and got a burger or sub or something with one of those things on it!

how are things tonight?? (sorry i live in uk,so for me its very very late,or actually very very early.lol) did u talk to ur wife sum more?? jade.xxxx

My wife and I did talk. And I told her about reading some of the talk on this forum. I told how I feel like the "bad guy" after she said all that stuff. I also told her how from her stand point it can be tough and frustrating. We actually went out to dinner on MY Suggestion tonite. Its weird, sometimes I can do it. I did have a couple of beers before hand plus I had been working hard all day and hadn't eat anything for about 6 hours. So i felt safe. At dinner I was a bit nervous and fidgety but didnt have any "symptoms" of anxiety or nausea. We talked about how hard it must of have been for me on our first dates and eating out. She always suspected but couldn't place it cuz I am so confident at work (we met at work). I easily completed my meal and we also shared a slice of cake. Although I had no "Symptoms" and felt good, the thought that "it" could happen was always with me. Its amazing how much I plan and plot my day around this thing. Thanks for asking how I am doing. As far as mentioning you name, I just feel credit is always due when credit is earned. And we do share some of the same "Symptoms." At one time I thought I was the only one who was like this and that this was the way I was. Hope you had a good day Jade! Take care.

Oh jeez. That's just plain cruel, what your brothers did to you. i hope your relationship with them has changed since then....

Wow, how strange! I also have an intense fear of certain condiments, especially mayo mustard and ketchup. Butter and cheese are good, and I am ok with vinegar and oil, but most condiments are made with some combination of the 3 I listed so I wont eat them! I feel your pain about eating out! Especially when normal places rename stuff! Like Outback steakhouse has a sandwich that lists it having a sauce called aoli. Aoli I found out is just herbed mayo!!!! Anyway though, I feel your pain on emetephobia and condiment phobia!! Just wondering, why did you call these people friends who played the vinegar prank? I have ended friendships of years for people telling me a movie was v* free and it wasn't (intentional, I am not gonna hold it against someone who forgot or missed it!), and the vinegar car seems just as if not more cruel!

Well, i was young when the vinegar-thing happened and i engaged in pranks on myfriends too. Also, at that time in my life 16 and 17, i had no idea what was wrong with me or that there was something wrong with me. Besides, even if i knew i was an emetophobe then, my freinds would never of understood. No one does unless you are one of us.

That is so aweful, I hate they put you through that... ((huggles))