Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: If V came out special orifice & not mouth

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would fear it more

1 1.37%
  • I would fear it the same

26 35.62%
  • I would fear it less

30 41.10%
  • I would not fear it at all

16 21.92%

This is a survey question I asked a long time ago on a different web site. I thought it might be interesting to dust it off and see what IES readers had to say.

If instead of your mouth, vomit came out through a special orifice (perhaps in your chest), would your emetophobia be the same? Would your fear be more, less, the same, or none at all?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ooohhhhh...that is a tough one Doug...I vote I would feel the sameb/c I really don't know. And my fear is the actual whole before part and not the act of.

well, since my fear is of actual "vomit" itself- not being sick myself or being in the presence of someone who is sick, I would have to say that it would be the same.

*amber*

Ditto daffodil's question. If it felt the same, then yes, I'd still be emet. If not, maybe I'd be less freaked out.

If I still had to suffer n* my fear would be the same. Like Reblynd, I think the worst part is "before". And no matter where it came out, I still don't want to deal with v*!

i fear gagging and retching and the noise so if it came out of somewhere else and you could take aay the gagging i'd be totally cured !!

I think my fear of v*ing is more about the mess of it, smell etc and the biggest fear what others will think if they saw it - ie they would be repulsed by me and want to avoid me, so it coming out a different orifice wouldn't make any difference.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I'd hate it just the same.

I have to agree 100% with TCSarah.

Its the fact that its noisy and messy, and attracts attention to you that is the worst for me. The build up to it is bad too, so if the special orifice meant that it didn't make a noise, it happened after just a few minutes of nauseaand that no one else could see it.. like if it went straight into a bag or something.. then I would prefer it and probably wouldn't fear it. Or if I could stop it from happening altogether or decide how much there is.. That would help with the control side of things.

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

OMG....if it didn't come out of my mouth ...........that would be my ticket to freedom...and if they was no nausea with it.....i would be in heaven.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Same here, if it meant it could come out somewhere other then my mouth, i would be overjoyed! as its the whole gagging and feel of it in my mouth i dislike the most.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

I would still be afraid. As said above, I don't like the build up to being sick.

Oh yes - if it went straight into a bag that nobody ever sawand you could then just dispose of it discretely,I wouldn't fear it at all. Nausea isn't a pleasant feeling but it's something that wouldn't bother me if I knew the end result wouldn't be a big horrible mess.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hmm isn't this then the equivalent of like...peeing or something...Lol... I don't think it would feel the same at all. There wouldn't be any possibility of taste, you wouldn't retch, you wouldn't smell it as bad (since it's not as close to your nose) and you wouldn't, I suppose, even have to see it! Rather than staring down a toilet at it, you could just "v*" into a bag and bin it. I think overall it would be a better experience.

I hope this post wasn't triggering, let me know if it was and I'll edit it.
    I traded my dreams for this mess of memories,
    And they just stopped working for me.

Well i know theres that thing where you have a bag attatched to you where all your waste goes if you can't get rid of it the other end, but i don't think theres one to stop v*, but the things that are made these days you never know what medical things are going to be made.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

I honestly don't know how I'd feel. I remember when I was younger I would wish that V*ing was NORMAL and Pooping was for when you were sick. That way I wouldn't fear V*ing as much. LoL I was a strange kid don't ask where I came up with that. I'd probably fear V*ing the same, because in anyway shape or form, no mater how much you sugar coat it, it's still V*ing and it's still nasty.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Yep, as long as i did'nt have the n* and the smell of it, i'd pretty much be ok with it, ( i think)[img]smileys/smilies_27.gif[/img]

I like this question because it illustrates the degree to which we fear vomiting because it interferes with our oral pleasure. Notice that most people would fear vomiting less or not at all (20% of emets would be completely cured!) and no one would fear it more.

Of course, this is moot because there is no way to develop a new orifice specifically for vomiting. But if we understand that the mouth is a big part of it, does it make it any easier to control what we can control?

I have an idea for a new poll which I will post in a day or so.

Doug

Default Re: What if it came out a special orifice?

I recently found this cartoon which we should all be able to laugh at. A whale is sitting at a bar, and the bartender tells him there will be trouble if he pukes on the bar. So the whale vomits through his spout.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gaggingsnthe worst so if that was out of the question I wouldn't fear it at all

I think I would fear it the same because for me it's a mixture of discust at the substance mixed with panic at the action of it re-appearing again mixed with a n* feeling myself forcing me into a deeper panic that I might be sick myself.

This is kinda gross, but I kind of equate it to if someone were to v* and it came out of their nose. Still the same fear and discust happens.

But my brand of emet is more fearful of others doing it around me vs. me myself doing it.

Edit: Btw, that comic clip is hilarious! I love the look on the guy-behind-the-whale's face. He's just like "Wtf..o.o" Hahaha!
    Just remember to breath....

When I was young, maybe 6 or 7, I got up in the middle of the night to sneak in some extra tv time. My parents had told me I couldn't watch HBO at night, so of course I turned it on and watched some drunk chick pull up her shirt, open her nipples(which were on hinges for some reason) and puke into a punch bowl...through her nips, people! I have no idea what movie it was...but it was nasty.

Two points here...One, Despite that nastiness burned into my retinas for eternity, I think it would be way less traumatic if it didn't come through the mouth. Two, I make sure to tell MY kid that she should not watch the History channel at night. If she's gonna be a rebel, she should at least be an educated one. :~)

Im most afraid of the N so even if it came out somewhere else I would still be afraid. If there was no N I would be fine. Even if it came out of my mouth

I'm not sure. I would need more details. As long as you had no real control over it and it was potentially embarrassing, I think I'd fear it just the same.

The feeling is the worst part for me, if it came out another part of my body i dont think it would feel the same

Moley

It doesn`t matter what orifice V comes from, it`s gross, smelly, and humilliating & degrading to do it, so I`d dread it just as much.

For me it's about the sensation leading up to it, the loss of control very importantly, the anticipation of not knowing what it's going to look like and seeing something really gross looking coming out of my body. Because then I still think, ugh this gross stuff was inside of me. And obviously, if could happen in public and humiliate me, that is still scary. So I'm not sure it would make any difference to me.

I once saw a clip on youtube of a guy on a morning news show brought in to discuss something. He just looked really sick. Then he did *it* right on camera. Knowing that all these people saw on live TV and potentially millions on youtube would've been embarrassing beyond expression.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    ....I still think, ugh this gross stuff was inside of me.....
    You sure it's really gross inside you? You don't have to see it or smell it which is why we say V is gross. When food is in your body, your stomach is doing its favorite thing to do. I beleive the ways in which you sense it should be positive.

When you're full of food, you get a sense of well-being from it. It feels good on a psychological level. It makes you relaxed and happy. Your belly feels comfortable when it is filled up, so you get a physical feeling of pleasure from it.

And then if you are really in tune with your body, there are the soft and delicate sounds that come from your full belly as it is absorbing all the good things from your food. It relaxes me just to hear it!

As I learned about how this works, I began to see things in a whole different light. Originally I would think "nasty gross puke is in me!" Now when I think about what happens inside; ideas like "pleasure, life energy, warmth, and health" come to mind.

That's just my way of seeing things, hope it makes sense!

Sincerely,
    David