Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Starting CBT and terrified!?

I've been seeing this psychologist for a few weeks now and everything has been going great.
    So far it has really started to make me see just how much this phobia has as affected my life.
    looking down at all the bits of paper we had drawn up with all these negative words i just snapped this was my life these stupid words were my life. I am determined to make all those bits of paper disappear but im scared. My therapist then told me we were going to do CBT so of course i totally freaked.

I have just started it today. The first half of the session was just looking at pictures and they were fine I didnt really feel any anxiety at all, pretty much laughed at them. But then we went on to youtube and typed in the word v* and i almost jumped out of my chair. I felt like such an idiot being scared of a stupid video. She clicked on one and i totally lost it, hands shaking fingers in my ears eyes tight shut. almost crying.
    Now im worried that il never have the guts to do this and im going to be like this for the rest of my life.
    Just now i typed the dreaded word in google and looked at some horrofying images, but i mangaged to stare at them for more then a few seconds, which im quite proud of. But im still terrified that in my next session im going to have to watch videos with my therapist and im going to cry and run away. like i always do.
    Has any body else on here tried CBT? was it as scary for you guys as it was for me in just one session? and did it work for them?
    Because im about ready to give up, i've tried everything hypnosis, therapies, counsiling. ugh the list goes on and im only 22

Default Re: Starting CBT and terrified!?

Yeah, im doing CBT at the mo. We are taking it real slow. I had to make a list of 10 things that i find difficult or affect my life (i.e. Public toilets, eating chicken) the top 4 are the worst (i.e. Listening, smelling, etc). In about 14 weeks i have got yo the point where i can listen to sounds from youtube on cd for a whole 20 mins, im really proud of how far i have come, howver i wouldnt be able to look at pictures, videos yet i know it! The trick is to prepare and take everything slowly to build your confidence. A cure wont happen overnight. Make sure you have a therapist who understands and you feel comfortable with, someone you can trust. I wont lie, it is very hard and very scary but it sounds like you are making progress! Slow it down and have confidence in yourself!

The first time I tried exposure I reacted like you did but I kept at it and found I made a lot of progress. South park really helps, there is so much vomiting in it but it's cartoon and kind of fake so it's a good thing to start with. It also is easier to watch it in comedies as you are less anxious watching something funny. Start small and work your way through it. I'm almost over my fear of others being sick and am working my way through my own fear now. Don't give up!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Please forgive the n00b question, but does "CBT" stand for?

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - its supposed to change your way of thinking by gradual exposure.

yeah i have heard it is the best way and too take it slow and gradual. but its just so scary.
    I mean i know were safe but you cant help when your brain is telling you your in danger to get out.
    It makes it harder on you.
    I have managed to watch some youtube videos without sound and repeated them over and over until i got used to it. then with sound and im pleased to say it doesnt effect me much now.