Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hunger Vs. Emetophonia

Hi Everyone! Does anyone have really good days where they can eat as much as they want? Every once in awhile this can happen to me. Mostly, it is a result of eating all my meals at home and when I'm alone or with my 7 year old daughter. It seems like knowing that I will be in some type of social situation (ie. work) makes me think I should eat less or not at all because I'm afraid of having one of my attacks. It also seems like since I'm home and "safe," I am not so worried if an attack comes. To Jadepanic and others who have been replying, thank you so much for your adivice and consideration. I'm new at this being "out in the open" and feel so much better that all of you can appreciate how I feel.

Default Re: Hunger Vs. Emetophonia

yes sometimes i can eat and eat...and then sometimes i litterally go days without a bit of food...its weird,and thanks for mensioning me,like i keep saying,im here for you.its good to chat to you,you know how i feel....well u all do obviously!! but me and u seem to have quite a few syptoms in comman.Jade.xx

I understand not wanting to eat outside of your own home, where you can't control the cooking an such...

But, what about going out of your house after eating bothers you? Is it being sick away from home is more stressful? Or do you think away from home there are more things to trigger anxiety and make you nauseas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am not OCD, I do not worry about hygiene issues or kitchen sanitation conditions. I don't need to "check" whether where i am eating is super clean like others with emetophobia describe. My biggest fear wud b being sick in public - at work - or in any social situation. Its like my mind tells me to eat and i feel hungry - but i worry that if i eat a regular meal -any sense of fullness or bloating cud trigger N* or V* or a panic attack. Bcuz i constantly fear that I cud V* or feel like to V*, I am afraid to eat alot and sometimes anything at all before I basically leave the house for work or a social situation.

Some days i could eat 20 pounds of food and others coffee and toast will suffice. I always try to eat light and for some odd reason i NEVER finish all of my food, even if there is only one bite left ill leave it. I cant figure out why its just something i do. I have noticed more recently that 99.99999% of the time i feel N* it is just from hunger, eating something light like toast or crackers takes it away in minutes.

i can feel great and eat heaps, and then because i've eating a big meal, i then feel sick. its very annoying. i could be starving one day and eat nothing because im still too scared to eat. other times im not hungry at all and will still eat a lot. i can worry a bit after a big meal and go out because to me if i have a full stomach, theres a greater chance i could be sick. it all depends on what i eat and how the past couple of days has been
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

I feel the same way! I can feel absolutely perfect but I won't eat my fill if I'm in a certain setting, such as parties, school, restaurants, etc. When I'm home and know I will be home for the rest of the day, I will eat and eat and eat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have the same fear as you. Getting s* in public. Not knowing where a bathroom is in case I have to v*. Not wanting to v* in front of other people etc. But I don't change my eating habits because of it. I have IBS so if we go to eat and I know we're not coming home right after, I try not to eat much so I'm not uncomfortable and bloated. And when we go on long car trips, I plan my meals before the trip so it's nothing that will trigger my IBS. I'm always afraid I'll have to use the restroom and we won't be able to get to one quick enough.

I get like that too, but for some reason it seems to last for ages.. I'll have a couple of weeks where I'll feel fine and eat really well, then a couple of weeks where I can't bring myself to eat more than one meal a day. My weight fluctuates loads!

It seems to relate to how anxious I'm feeling in general, although in certain situations (BBQ's, for example) I tend to get more worried and eat less because I'm not sure how safe the food is.

Also, I can be eating a meal and suddenly get a thought come into my head like 'This tastes funny,' or 'This isn't cooked right,' or 'I feel s*' so then I can't eat any more. Although I think that might be to do with my OCD... It's kind of annoying anyway, especially when I'm with people I don't know that well, I always feel sort of rude lol!
    "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

I love to eat, and eat alot!

The only time emet and eating clash is when I have been feeling a little bit "off" and I'm unsure my system is ready to be pushed hard. Then for several days (even after I know I'm fine) I will eat very lightly.

David