Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation I'm new, I REALLY need some help.

Let me start by saying that I've been panicking and consumed with anxiety since last night and have yet to calm down. I'm in that mindset where I'm convinced I'm going to be stuck like this forever.

I've been afraid of throwing up for as long as I can remember. I got the stomach flu over the Christmas holiday, it lasted 2 awful days and since then my fear is RELENTLESS. I can't eat without that 'Oh God, what if I throw up?' thought. Over the past 4 months my menstrual cycle makes me nauseous. It just started yesterday and I'm going crazy because this time it's worse than ever. I've taken almost an entire bottle of Emetrol. I tried to drink a Sprite (no Caffine) but that made it worse because I was convinced that Sprite was going to come back in the form of vomit and choke me to death. I can't eat. I haven't been to class in 2 days in fear that I'll have a panic attack in class. The thing is it comes in waves where one minute I think I'm fine. An hour later I'm latched onto my mother crying my eyes out hyperventilating like an idiot because I'm scared of throwing up. I just feel totally hopeless (and scared of course) Any suggestions? I can't believe I'm about to say this but I'd love to just be able to study so I don't make my stress worse by falling even more behind than I already have.

Default Re: I'm new, I REALLY need some help.

welcome to the forum.....sorry that you are having such a hard time right now. it seems we all have good cycles and bad cycles. i know when it gets you down you feel that you will never be well again......but you will. you have really got to push yourself to do some things......look for distractions......maybe get your mom to play a game with you......or quiz you on your homework....you need something to get your mind focused on something else. go for a walk......i play trivia online when i get too anxious.....takes total concentration........

are you on any meds? besides emetrol? my dr put me on prozac for my anxiety.....i didn't tell him about my emet.....just that i get panic attacks. it has really helped me alot in my every day life. i don't obsess about v 24.7. i'm not cured by any means.....but i'm able to work , go out to eat, go grocery shopping, etc with very little anxiety......

you need to eat something....maybe toast....something light that won't scare you. being hungry can make you n. do you have any ginger tea or ginger candies? altoids also have a ginger candy......all of these are good for helping with stomach upsets.

again, sorry you're in a bad place right now.........i know it sucks......but you aren't alone.....we're here to listen and help if we can......we know exactly how you feel
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you. I think being too scared to eat was the thing making it the worse. My dog and I are eating crackers now. lol. Ah who invented this thing?!

ive had a stomach for 3 weeks now, and let me tell you it is horrible. every time i eat or drink anything, it hurts like im going to throw up. and the worse part is that ive been to the er twice yesterday and they still dont know whats wrong. my doctor said it was acid reflux but even with the meds it still hurts. i get really bad anxity with the stomach aches. yesterday when i went to the ER at 2 in the morning, my heart rate was 160. it really sucked. and when i went at 8 last night, i was panicing, and pacing back and forth. but hopefully soon i will know whants wrong with me. for the past 3 weeks the pain would just get on my nerves so much that i would cry. i really hope it gets better and i hope you get better too!

Oh gosh, that really sucks. I had a similar problem when I was about 7 and they gave me prescription Zantac. I have no clue if the medicine worked because I was so scared that I would be sick that I was making myself sick. Makes sense? As of now I'm nibbling food but I'm very jittery. I'll be laughing one second, crying the next because my stomach turned and I was afraid of getting sick. I called my doctor and they can't see me until next Friday. I was like just grrrrreat. I hope you feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    welcome to the forum.....sorry that you are having such a hard time right now. it seems we all have good cycles and bad cycles. i know when it gets you down you feel that you will never be well again......but you will. you have really got to push yourself to do some things......look for distractions......maybe get your mom to play a game with you......or quiz you on your homework....you need something to get your mind focused on something else. go for a walk......i play trivia online when i get too anxious.....takes total concentration........

are you on any meds? besides emetrol? my dr put me on prozac for my anxiety.....i didn't tell him about my emet.....just that i get panic attacks. it has really helped me alot in my every day life. i don't obsess about v 24.7. i'm not cured by any means.....but i'm able to work , go out to eat, go grocery shopping, etc with very little anxiety......

you need to eat something....maybe toast....something light that won't scare you. being hungry can make you n. do you have any ginger tea or ginger candies? altoids also have a ginger candy......all of these are good for helping with stomach upsets.

again, sorry you're in a bad place right now.........i know it sucks......but you aren't alone.....we're here to listen and help if we can......we know exactly how you feel
    Oh I totally forgot to answer the question.

No, I'm not on any medicine at all. But I am going to the ER now because I'm freaking out so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by musicXfashionXsugar View Post
    Oh gosh, that really sucks. I had a similar problem when I was about 7 and they gave me prescription Zantac. I have no clue if the medicine worked because I was so scared that I would be sick that I was making myself sick. Makes sense? As of now I'm nibbling food but I'm very jittery. I'll be laughing one second, crying the next because my stomach turned and I was afraid of getting sick. I called my doctor and they can't see me until next Friday. I was like just grrrrreat. I hope you feel better soon!
    i hope you get beter soon too!
    but im on zantac right now.. i think lol
    but yeah... i was supossed to go to the CT doctor to get that cat scan but i got it last night.
    i was sooo happy though becuase at the ER i had to drink a whole bottle of gatoraid, instead of drink this barium sulfate berry smoothe stuff for the CT doctor. i would of had to drink 3 big bottles of this pasty white thick stuff lol i was just worried that if i drinked it i would have V* it back up

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Trombonist View Post
    i hope you get beter soon too!
    but im on zantac right now.. i think lol
    but yeah... i was supossed to go to the CT doctor to get that cat scan but i got it last night.
    i was sooo happy though becuase at the ER i had to drink a whole bottle of gatoraid, instead of drink this barium sulfate berry smoothe stuff for the CT doctor. i would of had to drink 3 big bottles of this pasty white thick stuff lol i was just worried that if i drinked it i would have V* it back up
    Oh goodness, that sounds awful! I'd be scared of that too. Luckily, my parents are OK with me withdrawing from the rest of the semester until I get this under better control. I got a little bit of sleep last night, but I'm still a little nervous today, but I did eat an egg so yay progress.

Quote Originally Posted by musicXfashionXsugar View Post
    Oh goodness, that sounds awful! I'd be scared of that too. Luckily, my parents are OK with me withdrawing from the rest of the semester until I get this under better control. I got a little bit of sleep last night, but I'm still a little nervous today, but I did eat an egg so yay progress.
    yeah im feeling a little better now.. i ate a bowl of cereal C:
    but for a couple of weeks i have to go on a soft food diet for my stomach : /

My mom once had to drink big bottles of that fluid and it didn't make her V or anything. It's not known to have that effect on people. That would be awful though if afterwards the doctor said, "okay, now you have to drink this ipecac syrup to get rid of all that thick fluid you drank for the scan." I'd probably have a heart attack on the spot!

The barium that you have to swallow for the CT isn't that bad - I too was scared that I would v* from it, but was totally fine. They give you these weird bubble things that you have to swallow without water and it makes you feel like you have to burp right before you drink the barium, and that was gross, but still didn't v*. They will warn you that you do get pretty constipated after having that barium stuff...yuck... Hope you figure out what is going on!!! Take care!