Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What food/drink reminds you of a bad experience?

I can't even smell pizza, because before I was a vegetarian I used to eat it like everyday, and I had it once and it made me feel so ill that I couldn't go near it again! I also can't drink ribena because I drank it at school once and honestly thought I was gonna get s*, and people were laughing at me and the teachers told me off, so since then I guess i've always associated it with the n* and the embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by nhernandez1194 View Post
    Watermelon and seafood.

I went on a picnic at age four and remember eating watermelon. Never again. I've never eaten watermelon or used watermelon-scented things or even eaten watermelon-flavored things. On the Fourth of July here in the US, someone had brought a cake decorated like a watermelon for us to eat. I didn't eat it just because it was so similar to this demon fruit.

As for seafood, I remember feeling really n* after reeking of seafood after coming back from my grandma's house. In my mind, all seafood is contaminated, and if I have to eat it, eating in small quantities helps my anxiety. Less contaminated seafood means a less of a chance to get s* or a less violent experience in my mind.

I'm a mess.
    I'm with you on seafood and have had a few bad expereinces with it!

I also used to avoid matzos like the plague and will go back to doing so because I just recently almost got s* after eating a big bowl of matzos ball soup. The doc said it was a virus but BEFORE even this incident I got sick because of matzos. Never eating it again seems like a good choice LoL!

I will also avoid resturants where my sisters have gotten sick after eating there even if I know that the reason they got sick had nothing to do with the food. There's a placed called "The Pewter Mug" That I never want to go to again because my sister got sick there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Eggs - I had a bad experience with eggs when I was a youngin. I'm ok eating them now but I still struggle. I always have to dip them in something (ketchup, salsa or tobasco)

The texture also throws me off.

I can't eat Hot Pockets....ever since the 4th grade. I won't eat red jello (6th grade) OR I won't drink red kool-aid (parents had to get all new carpet and couches! :/)
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Grape Kool-Aid...got a 24 hour stomach bug the day after...
    I can drink other flavors of Kool-Aid, but still avoid grape- and this happened 16 years ago.
    Oh yeah, and Tequila- eww...

Tishina- Tequila No Es Bueno! LoL! Not speaking from personal expereince but EVERYONE I know who has gotten drunk on Tequila has some sort of vomiting after horror story (Including my dad) and I won't even take a sip of the stuff!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

No spaghetti sauce. Got sick on spaghetti in 1983. No chocolate cake/brownies. That happened in 1985, and the latest, NO wheat tortillas/wraps, thats from 2001.
    BLAH!

for me, red koolaid and subsequently anything red colored like jello or strawberry drinks....pizza hut pizza, and white zinfandel. tomato soup also, but its cause i think it tastes like v.

Cucumber is a big panic trigger (but i do eat it every so often). Pancakes with chocolate i'll never eat and the smell of marijuana reminds me of hours spend in a public washroom when I was 15 (which was also my last time to v*.)

not that much actually, nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    Tishina- Tequila No Es Bueno! LoL! Not speaking from personal expereince but EVERYONE I know who has gotten drunk on Tequila has some sort of vomiting after horror story (Including my dad) and I won't even take a sip of the stuff!
    I never actually v* from it- but the nausea and heaves were bad enough! I can't even stand to SMELL tequila now, lol!

when i was little, i was on my way to my grandparents house in winsconsin, and we had to ride 2 air planes. the first one was a little plane, and right before i got on it, my mom gave me juicy juice. when they dropped the gears right before we landed, i v*d it all on my moms white pants :/ to this day i will not touch it.
    another thing i will not go near is chicken salad. when i was in 7th grade, we had some left over chicken. my mom thought it was good so she fixed the rest of it for me, and i felt fine after i ate it.. but an hour later, i started to get a stomach ache, and when i was laying in bed that night, i didnt even get a chance to sit up, and it happend :C
    another thing i wont go near is pizza rolls because they made me sick lol

I can not stand chicken pot pie from bad experiences with it.

I can't drink blue powerade.. after I had my surgery ( tympanoplasty) when I was about 7 or 8, I had to drink this terrible medicine that tasted like v*. It was so bad that I tried to disguise the taste with blue powerade. Now I think blue powerade tastes like v*..blehh

Quote Originally Posted by fieldhockeychic13 View Post
    I can't drink blue powerade.. after I had my surgery ( tympanoplasty) when I was about 7 or 8, I had to drink this terrible medicine that tasted like v*. It was so bad that I tried to disguise the taste with blue powerade. Now I think blue powerade tastes like v*..blehh
    I feel your pain about the ear surgery. I didn't need anything as involved as what you had but it was still no fun. I can hear OK and no longer get bad ear infections now though! But I can't hear as well as a "normal" person.

I just blame it on the diesel engines I work on!

Later,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    I feel your pain about the ear surgery. I didn't need anything as involved as what you had but it was still no fun. I can hear OK and no longer get bad ear infections now though! But I can't hear as well as a "normal" person.

I just blame it on the diesel engines I work on!

Later,
    David
    That's good that you can hear ok and you don't get bad ear infections anymore. I can't hear as well as a normal person either. I only have 50% of hearing in one ear, but I don't really mind, I can still hear enough.. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldhockeychic13 View Post
    That's good that you can hear ok and you don't get bad ear infections anymore. I can't hear as well as a normal person either. I only have 50% of hearing in one ear, but I don't really mind, I can still hear enough.. lol.
    Thanks!

My co workers sometimes poke fun at me because I'm so adamant about earplugs when I spend any time near a loud diesel engine.

I explain how I know what it's like to have really bad hearing; and I already have marginal hearing and want to make sure I don't get worse!

David

I should take your advice. We have ear protection for when we're making retainers at work (you'd be surprised how loud the grinder and plastic sucking machine can get!) but when I use them, I'm very lax about using the headphones. Doesn't help that on the smallest setting they still slide down to under my jaw and cut off my jugglers. (Hey, Doc, should I be seeing those stars??) I also LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to my i-pod alllll the way up in my car . . . I'm a dashboard rockstar. Being obsessed with Pearl Jam and moonlighting in Radio promotions. . . I've spent more than my fair share of time at concerts. . .

I had a series of BAD, BAD ear infections for a few months about 2 winters ago. I remember hardly being able to hear then, it was terrible. It did build my tolerance for random dizziness, though.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Quote Originally Posted by NaiveAndTrue View Post
    I should take your advice. We have ear protection for when we're making retainers at work (you'd be surprised how loud the grinder and plastic sucking machine can get!) but when I use them, I'm very lax about using the headphones. Doesn't help that on the smallest setting they still slide down to under my jaw and cut off my jugglers. (Hey, Doc, should I be seeing those stars??) I also LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to my i-pod alllll the way up in my car . . . I'm a dashboard rockstar. Being obsessed with Pearl Jam and moonlighting in Radio promotions. . . I've spent more than my fair share of time at concerts. . .

I had a series of BAD, BAD ear infections for a few months about 2 winters ago. I remember hardly being able to hear then, it was terrible. It did build my tolerance for random dizziness, though.
    Oh yeah I'm with you on the music! I use an Archos MP3 player instead of an iPod. But I love my music, XM satellite radio (the dance channel BPM rules!) and the MP3 player are my most important driving compaions!

There is a chart on how much time you should be exposed to certain levels of noise. If your plastic forming machine is not a constant noise, you may be OK with it.

The engines I work on can top 120 decibels and they run continuously!

David

As of recently, sesame chicken....ugh >.<

Doritos. I ate a whole bag when I was 8 or so annnnnd yeah, the rest is history. I think now it was because I had basically had NOTHING to drink all day. I was emet by then, too. I was like "this isn't so bad this doesn't even hurt, and I feel better!....I think I'm over this" but noooooo it was right back to being scared a couple weeks later.

I can eat em now if I *really* want to....I just don't like them much in the first place. I'm always reminded of it when I see a bag though, and it icks me out a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by PearlescentAngel View Post
    Doritos. I ate a whole bag when I was 8 or so annnnnd yeah, the rest is history. I think now it was because I had basically had NOTHING to drink all day. I was emet by then, too. I was like "this isn't so bad this doesn't even hurt, and I feel better!....I think I'm over this" but noooooo it was right back to being scared a couple weeks later.

I can eat em now if I *really* want to....I just don't like them much in the first place. I'm always reminded of it when I see a bag though, and it icks me out a bit...
    LOL. I NEED to eat Doritos if anyone near by has them. The smell totally turns my stomach unless I'm eating them.

When I had a bad cold a few years ago I got this Zicam concentrated throat spray that was supposed to be stronger than chloroseptic. Problem was, it tasted HORRIBLE. I'd use it and then chew gum right after to try to get rid of the taste, so now I can't chew any "sweet mint" chewing gum without going a little green.
    -Jenni

This is my third post to this topic because I keep on thinking of things that remind me of a bad experience. I have never liked Weetbix or Vita Brits, especially the smell. My brothers and my Dad used to have Vita Brits with hot milk for breakfast every day. One morning in the early 1980s, I felt really sick and went into the lounge room to watch cartoons. My brother David joined me with his smelly Vita Brits and I had to run into the kitchen to v*.

I actually did have a good experience once. The doctor told me to suck lemonade ice blocks but not bite into them. I accidently bit into it and then it all came up again but honestly it wasn't so bad. It's a pity that not all v* tastes like lemonade though (or something that people like the taste of).

My grandma's spaghetti bolegnase.

Cooked spaghetti and brisket/roast beef.

Okay, I have read all these posts. Please let's all just keep in mind that just because one person has a bad experience with a food doesn't mean another will. I think Sage has discouraged these posts in the past so as not to cause extra fear. So it's fine to discuss this stuff, just continue to eat foods you normally eat, even if they were mentioned here. Believe me, I have my own list too!! .

Spicy Doritos - I threw them up after eating half a bag. I was a beast lol
    Pork Chops - Threw it up. It was the last time I vomited.
    White Milk - Kids always threw it up in grade school
    Taco Bell - Made me feel so awful and was sick for 3 days (no vomiting, but should have)
    Steak N Shake -someone i know got FP from it
    Subway - same as above

But, like someone else said, I also am weird about clothes and dates.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Quote Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
    Spicy Doritos - I threw them up after eating half a bag. I was a beast lol
    Pork Chops - Threw it up. It was the last time I vomited.
    White Milk - Kids always threw it up in grade school
    Taco Bell - Made me feel so awful and was sick for 3 days (no vomiting, but should have)
    Steak N Shake -someone i know got FP from it
    Subway - same as above

But, like someone else said, I also am weird about clothes and dates.
    Lol about being a beast and eating half bag of Doritos! Good giggle!

Same thing happened with white milk, to me! A kid drank too much too fast and it was too cold. He flooded a table with it and after his performance, I didn't drink white milk for years and still don't like it. Chocolate milk = pure love, though!

David

When I was in the sixth grade, I got a SV after eating york mints. The smell to me is just gross now, and I have to turn away if there is a commercial on for them :P
    Falling out of love is hard, falling for betrayal is worse.

It used to be white chocolate but now it's nothing.
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

I was eating yogurt which reminded me.

I have textural issues with some food. I NEVER liked to feel full, and my parents had a hard time getting me to eat dinner as a kid. (Seriously, there's pictures of me as a toddler staring at full plates of food. lol) My dad would try to make a joke of things and "feed" me like a baby. Thing was, he'd always put too much food on the fork and I'd gag. I couldn't eat mashed potatoes until middle school! LOL. I still have trouble with things like Yogurt or Pudding if there's nothing 'chunky' in it, like granola or such. I pretty much only eat yogurt because it's good for me, I don't mind the taste, but I always have to fight the urge to gag.
    -Jenni