Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Bad Smells

Default Bad Smells

Sorry I haven't been around my internet has been shut off due to non payment and I have to leach!

ANYWAY! I had to move my cat to another house where I'll be living temporarily and it traumatized the hell out of the poor thing. It was only a half hour trip but he vomited and pooped in his carrier on the way there.

We were almost there when he pooped, like literally seconds away. The smell was overpowering and horrible. I had to roll the window all the way down and stick half my body out, while holding my nose because I seriously almost vomited because of the smell.

My friend (Who was driving, thankfully I wasn't LoL) later asked me what the big deal was. I told him I almost puked twice because of the smell. He said, "Really? Do bad smells effect you that much?" And I was like, "Yeah, it's probably an emet thing." (Which I don't know is true so I'm asking)

When you guys smell something horrible, or see something particularly disgusting do you get that feeling? That horrible, "Oh god gonna vom" feeling? Or am I just overly sensitive to smells? LoL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Default Re: Bad Smells

I think I have always had a very sensitive nose, might be an emet thing. The ultra sensitive nose was horrible when I was pregnant! I was never sick but felt kind of sick sometimes. I suppose I have to get over the sensitive nose thing pretty quickly, I have 2 growing boys! I hear they can get pretty stinky as they get older. Although one is pretty stinky right now, he has tummy trouble this morning, which is why I am on the forum, it helps reading other posts for some reason.

Bad smells can cause anyone to feel sick. It's a "programmed" biological response, though not everyone finds the same odors as repugnant as some do. Most people have at least one odor they can hardly bare to smell.

You can sort of "resist" the sense of n* or v* that comes with bad odors or disturbing imagery, I've found, though it requires a lot of mental discipline and some physical actions (such as repeatedly swallowing).

I have never been sick from a bad smell, though I have been exposed too a few. I did once gag at the smell of castor oil though, but then I think that stuff is the vilest stuff you can buy. to think that they used to give it to kids to keep them regular in the old days, how did they stand it!

I don't know whether it's an emet thing. I am not that sensitive to smells, but my boyfriend...wow! He is not an emet, thank god, because he will dry heave whenever a bad smell is around. yeah, THAT extreme.

Now I am afraid to move my cat back home because what if he poops in the car again? It's complicated why I need to move him around so much but I am so scared of smelling it and throwing up that I can't bare to try again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by Jill in Apartment 413 View Post
    Now I am afraid to move my cat back home because what if he poops in the car again? It's complicated why I need to move him around so much but I am so scared of smelling it and throwing up that I can't bare to try again!
    Call your vet and ask what would be the proper dosage of children's benadryl to give your kitty. You'll need to have an idea on her weight so they can tell you! It will help calm her down, it acts as a mild sedation. It may help her be less nervous, and therefor less likely to make a mess.

You may find these links helpful!

Conditioning has everything to do with tolerating bad smells.

I remember when I started working on a particular type of sludge applicator, that had composted food byproducts in it. It smelled horrid.

After a few times, I didn't feel any feeling of disgust. The first few times, I couldn't make myself inhale. I would "lock up" so to speak.

Being emetophobic, I did suppressed any urge to hurl, but I did get to witness a friend V from it. Sadly, his V smelled better than the sludge applicator!!!

Later,
    David

I worry about this smell problem too, because I can be pretty sensitive to them, I have a real strong sense of smell but have never v*ed because of a bad smell. I really need to get conditioned to it because I will likely be working with some bad smells after I get out of school, perhaps wastewater treatment or anaerobic digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81 View Post
    I worry about this smell problem too, because I can be pretty sensitive to them, I have a real strong sense of smell but have never v*ed because of a bad smell. I really need to get conditioned to it because I will likely be working with some bad smells after I get out of school, perhaps wastewater treatment or anaerobic digestion.
    JD, the applicator I was working on applied an anaerobically composted sludge, that was a byproduct from processed chicken manufacturing. The plant made pre-cooked, fried, baked, and other ready-to-use chicken nugget produces. They wash the plant profusely, for sanitation reasons. The municipality limits the amount of solids they can put in the sewer system so they put the wash water in a settling pond and let all the solids (primarily corn meal breading and cooking oil) fall to the bottom.

Then this applicator is used to plow the resulting sludge (from the bottom of the pond) into the ground for fertilizer or "land enrichment" projects.

The machines can be very sophisticated! This is a short video I made of commissioning a NEW unit. I explain how the volumetric pump works, and show the in-cab controls. By the way - this machine is NEW and clean, the video is completely safe to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6boyk7EyOk

Thanks!
    David