Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default flu and the flu vaccine?

Ive been waiting nearly 2 weeks for my flu jab. They had run out of vaccines so I had to wait until today. Anyway, Ive had a picky, sore throat all day in work and a headache then later on I felt kinda achy. I still had the vaccine (mostly cos I had already paid for it cos Im not in any at risk group that qualifies for it free!) but now Im wondering if it was a waste of time. Dont know for sure if I have the flu but I think theres a possibility if how I feel is anything to go by. Also if I do have the start of the flu will having the vaccine have helped minimise the effects. I think I read that it takes upto 2 wks for the vaccine to have full effect but surely it starts to build up some resistance from the moment it gets into your bloodstream.

To make matters worse a co-worker who I work very closely with told me today that her husband has been ill with the flu for the past few days and even v* with it!

Default Re: flu and the flu vaccine?

It is possible that you have the flu because it takes 2 weeks before the flu shot is effective.

It's also possible that this is your immune system reacting to the flu shot. Not reacting in a bad way. Just attaacking it the way it would the actual flu.

I know people say they get the flu shot and feel fine afterwards, but everyone I know who has ever had the flu shot got what they described as "deathly ill" right after. They got the full-fledged flu... and never got it before or after getting immunized. Not saying this to scare you, just that a lot of people DO get flu-like symptoms from the flu shot.

Either way, you'll be fine. This too shall pass.

I dont think its got anything to do with the flu vaccine. I started to feel a bit unwell several hours before I got the flu jab.

I'm sure you won't V, most flus don't cause that at all! Many people use the term "flu" to speak of stomach bugs. The flu generally won't cause V-ing unless you have a weak stomach.

I am an "at risk" group (Asthma) and have never had a flu shot and also have never had the flu. Most of my friends who have gotten the shot have had the flu, though probably not as bad as if they hadn't been vaccinated. Then again, they may not have caught it if they hadn't been vaccinated either. Who knows?

As far as feeling unwell before your jab, could it be anxiety? You seemed nervous to go get it done, and perhaps your body was playing games with you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I dont know whats up with me! I already had a sore throat a few hours before I knew I was getting my flu jab ( I rang the pharmacy to see if it had delivered whilst on a break at work) so it couldnt have been anxiety. Dont feel so bad at the moment, thankfully the painkillers I took an hour or so ago are doing their job.

I think Ive had the flu once or twice - Im 44 so cant really remember but I almost definitely had it a couple of years ago. I have never thought of having a flu jab before but this year swine flu seems to be very virulent in my local area and Im now working for the first time in many years and therefore in close contact with a larger group of people so I thought Id get it done. Hope its worth it and it doesnt jinx me!!!

Just an FYI I learned a long time ago; you should never have a vaccine done if you are already under the weather. Your immune system is at risk of actually getting sicker. I never even had an allergy shot if I had a little bit of a cold or I would end up deathly ill the next day. This is also why they do not give babies their vaccines if they are sick.

Just to clarify something: The "flu" (SV) is NOT the same as influenza - for which the flu vaccine is given. It drives me nuts that everyone uses the same term for both - wreaks havoc on my emet to hear someone say they have the flu and not know if they mean the REAL flu or a SV! Influenza rarely causes v*; rather, it's the one that makes you feel like you've been run over by a truck and lasts for several days.

Also, the flu vaccine CANNOT give you influenza. Despite what many people (including my mother) claim. The vaccine contains an inactivated form of the flu virus (whichever strain happens to be the primary one that year), which serves to stimulate your immune system into making antibodies, but cannot itself make you sick. You might experience mild aches or a slight fever as your body's immune cells react to the vaccine and create the antibodies (and these effects are perfectly normal and temporary), but the vaccine will not and cannot cause you to come down with influenza. I've gotten a flu shot every year since I entered the healthcare profession (beginning back in college when I was doing clinicals) and am a firm believer that everyone, especially those at high risk (pregnant women, children, elderly people, those with compromised immune systems, those working in healthcare, etc.), should get the vaccine as well.

Hope that helps a little bit... I'm new here, so I hope I didn't step on any toes. :-)