Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    Germany (since 2009) United States (March 11th!)

Question Do sv* symptoms begin gradually or suddenly?

The sv* has been going around my house this past week. My little sister got it, then my two other little sisters at the same time, and then my mom just got over it.

Now I'm starting to feel sick. I haven't had an appetite the last week because I was nervous about getting sick. I've eaten very little. I tried eating a sandwich but couldn't finish it. Then about a half hour ago I got that carsick feelings, minor stomach cramps, and mild diarrhea. But now I'm feeling a little better. Okay, actually as I type I feel some pressure (almost gassy feeling) just above my belly button, but nothing painful (yet). And I feel the need to burp.

I don't remember if the virus starts gradually or suddenly. I'd really like for it to just happen. Makes it easier than wondering. For once I actually hope I'm getting sick because I've spent the last week in worry and really just want to get it over with. Does this maybe sound like I could be getting it? I've been washing my hands like crazy (they're so dry and cracked now), anytime I touch something. I've been out of my room a lot more these past couple days though because I was taking care of my sisters when my mom was sick. So I'm not sure if it's been enough or if I actually am (I strangely hope I am) getting sick.
    "I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains" (Anne Frank).

Default Re: Do sv* symptoms begin gradually or suddenly?

And now the feeling is mostly gone again... I don't get it... it's off and on...

???
    "I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains" (Anne Frank).

Cool Re: Do sv* symptoms begin gradually or suddenly?

UPDATE

About 2 hours ago I posted this thread and laid down. I never fell asleep. I felt nauseous the entire time. I got up and looked out my window and felt fine. Walked into the kitchen and into our pantry. It smelled funny, so my stomach began to churn. All of a sudden I felt the diarrhea coming on again (tmi, I know... )... and now my stomach feels just like it does a while before I v*. Crampy, just above my belly button. So I'm 99% sure I am in fact getting sick, and to be honest, I'm not really afraid. It's uncomfortable to be sick... but I'm... fine.

It's day time (I'm sure the worst will be over before bed) and sunny out (sunshine brightens my mood no matter what), so that helps. Plus, I've been worried sick the past week, wondering if I was gonna catch it. So it feels really nice to just get it over with. I also have a long flight in two weeks, and I was worrying that I'd end up with a sv* during my flight, so this is good.

I feel really brave right now.

Thats awesome! You are doing so well! And just remember tomorrow you will feel so much better and this will be behind you, i always am the worst waiting on it, then when it happenes you realize its not the worst thing that could happen, and its over so quick.

V* 5 times in 5 hours... the n* the part I really hate... will update tomorrow when I feel better.

I'm sorry you're ill! I hope you feel better really soon! xx

Well... it happened. I was sick. I gradually got more n* as the day went on. At about 2:30pm the stomach cramps started. Then worsened around 3:30 when I first v*. Two hours later I took a sip of water, and it came right back up, and not even 5 minutes after that I v* AGAIN. The v* was not the bad part. It was trying to exert energy I no longer had. Two hours later I v*, then again an hour later, and an hour after that I ate a popsicle and held it down. I didn't fall asleep though for another hour because I was so weak and my back hurt. Woke up every hour or two until about 3:00am. I'm better today, but still weak and out of energy.

It was uncomfortable, and not something I WANT to experience again, but I got through it.

You certainly did and thanks for sharing your experience. You survived and you were so brave about it before it all happened. Good for you! Step forward

You're so brave! I'm glad you are feeling better and I hope this helps you keep moving forward!
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

i admire you for being able to cope with this.....and eat even after all of that happened...i wish i could be more like you....
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

hunny that is incredible! And not another post or new topic on here while it was happening. that is fantastic, you dealt with it on your own! You will feel like that for another couple of days and now that your able to keep things down, drink lots and lots of water! Im am astounded! i had a virus a few months go and ended up v* very frequently and i was a wreck! shoulda seen the amount of things i kept posting on here! how do you mentally feel just getting over that?
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Wink Re: Do sv* symptoms begin gradually or suddenly?

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    hunny that is incredible! And not another post or new topic on here while it was happening. that is fantastic, you dealt with it on your own! You will feel like that for another couple of days and now that your able to keep things down, drink lots and lots of water! Im am astounded! i had a virus a few months go and ended up v* very frequently and i was a wreck! shoulda seen the amount of things i kept posting on here! how do you mentally feel just getting over that?
    I'm feeling a bit braver. My most severe emetophobia was during a time when I wasn't ever sick. I went 5 years without being sick. After that I was sick much more often, and I guess it's the exposure that's helped me. Like with my fear of getting shots. I swear I've had 20-30 shots in the last few years (probably half from the dentist) and now it doesn't even phase me.

Now when I get a bug I just dread the stomach pains, but I think I'll be less worried about that next time around... maybe.

im so glad that your emet isnt worse. my emet became errible after i v*. the firt time it happened it was so quick and it wasnt that bad. but because it happened again and again thats what made it worse for me. your lucky its done the oppostie wih you and your more accepted of it now
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.