Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Would you rather know? Or not know?

my son and I have really bad colds/coughs. My husband said today he felt like he was getting it too. So he comes home tonight from his part time night job and says "I'm really starting to not feel well" I asked "are you getting our cold?" he said "I hope that's what it is. I hope it's in my nose" I was like ummmm "as opposed to...?" and as he so nicely put it "my butt" of course I immediately asked "do you feel pukey?" he said "no something just doesn't feel right down there" I tried to justify it and say "well maybe all the drainage from your sinuses is making you feel yucky". He said "maybe"
    I have a "nervous" stomach and whenever I'm really worried I immediately have to poop. Well he said all this and I immediately headed to the bathroom. I came back in the bedroom and asked if he was ok. He said yeah. He keeps sighing though like he's trying to calm the n* or something. He's sniffling a lot too so I'm hoping it's just sinus crap.
    But my question. Would you rather know someone doesn't feel well or has sv? Or is ignorance bliss? I'm torn. I'd want to know so I could take extra precautions, especially living with someone. But on the other hand, if it turns out to be nothing I'll be a giant panic attack until it's over.

Default Re: Would you rather know? Or not know?

for me, ignorance is definitely bliss.. i become paranoid after i kno somebody is sick with a sv or something of that sort.. ill even avoid the person for awhile and areas that theyve recently been..

i go back and forth in my head with that question.......if i didn't know i wouldn't have that horrible anxiety over it.......but i also wouldn't be hyper vigilant about the germs....

so i suppose my answer is ...i don't know which i prefer.....lol

hope your hubby and all of you are feeling better
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmmm that's a tough one!

My boyfriend asked me this a few weeks ago when he was feeling unwell and though he might v*...

I told him he should tell me so that I can make sure I'm prepared and I can be extra careful. However, I almost wished he hadn't told me because it sent me into such a panic I couldn't even drive home to get away!

But having said that, once when he was hung over and went downstairs - I thought, just to go to the toilet - he didn't tell me that he was actually going to v*, so I was just sat watching tv and all of a sudden heard v* noises! Not cool. I think the shock was even worse than the fact that he was v*!!

Although, I realised that this was the first time in about 8 years that I'd actually heard someone v* in real life, and it wasn't as bad as I thought to be honest. So it had its good points i guess haha!

x
    "One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

I think I would rather know, so I can prepare- both mentally and the house (my boyfriend never makes it to the bathroom, so I would rather know and get a bucket and old towels and stuff ready). Having said that, there have been times when my boyfriend has had a funny tummy, and I haven't slept because of jumping a mile every time he moved.

I only want to know if he actually vomits. Then I can take precautions. Otherwise I don't want to know.

I`d prefer to know if someone closeto me had a bug, then I would be able to avoid them until they were "safe".

I personally would rather not know because then I'm on edge all night listening for it however I do like to begin the steralization process when I do know. Facebook is my worst enemy recently! EVERYONE on there is sick and reporting their symptoms and then I start to panic thinking I've got what they have. Is anyone else going through that?

It's a tough choice. But in the end, i would like to know. I get paranoid if i don't know and people aren't telling me the truth when it comes to if someone is sick. I want to know what is happening or happened. As much as ignorance is bliss, I like to know what is going on so I can avoid it. I really dislike it when people lie to me when someone has v*ed and they tell me they didn't. I know they are just trying to help me keep calm but it's annoying and I feel like a child who isn't supposed to hear a swear word or something.. Idk. I would just like to know

I'd prefer *not* to know. I do fine with my emet on a day to day basis. The only time it really rears it's ugly head now is when someone in my house or where I work is sick with a SV and I just can't avoid them. Then I just feel doomed and I drive myself crazy and make myself feel sick from worrying about whether I'll get it. If I didn't know, yeah, I wouldn't be taking super precautions which might raise my chance of getting it, but at least there wouldn't be the terrible anxiety associated with worrying about it for hours and days on end ...

I'd rather know so that I can be better prepared.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Frankly i'd rather know as soon as they start to feel symptoms so i can prepare myself, i hate it when you are told your family member has been ill and it's too late because by then you have already touched most of the door handles remotes etc and after that it's just a panic so yes i'd rather know just so that i can avoid it.
    I know that there are those that are waiting for failure, but
    my answer to that is that there is no such thing as failure.
    You can only fail if you stop too soon.

Even though paranoia takes its toll on my energy levels, I'd much rather know if someone around me is contagious with a SV so i can take the proper precautions to avoid it at all costs. It gets rough sometimes though, because whenever my husband falls ill i start freaking out and want to move out for a couple weeks so i'm "safe". It's really bad. I probably shouldn't have kids if i neglect to care for them when they get sick. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia31 View Post
    I personally would rather not know because then I'm on edge all night listening for it however I do like to begin the steralization process when I do know. Facebook is my worst enemy recently! EVERYONE on there is sick and reporting their symptoms and then I start to panic thinking I've got what they have. Is anyone else going through that?

I'm the exact same way!! Everytime I look on Facebook it seems like SOMEONE is sick with something!! Even if someone posts that they "Feel horrible" I automatically assume they are v*.

considering that noro is only contagious after v* has occured I'd rather not know until they actually v*. Last year when my hubby had the sv* I had no idea he was feeling off whne he wnet to bed and I was sound asleep I didn't even hear him v* the first time. I got up and heard noise so went to see and found him in the bathroom. He told me then that he had v* I FREAKED but took precautions like lysol and gloves and mask and moved him into the other spare room etc...

Anyway I never caught it in the end so I wold prefer to know once it happens and I told him that in the future just automatically tell me and move into the other room if you v* otherwise I don't want ot know cause if he just has a tummy ache from over eating or stress (which happens) then I'd be on edge for nothing.