Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I Think I Have Control Issues

Personally I believe that my emetophobia stems from control issues. Is anyone else going through this? Not only am I afraid of throwing up but I'm now afraid of getting sick. Fevers, the runs, colds and being n** I find I get a whole lot worse when stressful situations are thrown at me that I can't control which leads me to believe I'm trying to control the only thing I know how with medication. I have now begun to eat ground ginger every night after reading about everyones flu symptoms on Facebook to control and prevent myself from getting it like I could really catch it over the computer. Silly I know. My husband is a complete financial disaster so there have been many times where I've lost control over finances aftter he blows money without asking which sets me off as well and makes things worse. Does anyone else feel that their phobia is some sort of a control issue?

Default Re: I Think I Have Control Issues

Yes, I think mine is a lot of a control issue too. When I think of the stomach flu I get terribly nervous for a couple reasons. One being sure I hate to vomit and I'm scared to death of it but another reason is that I'd have to cancel my plans for that day or whatever and I'd have no control over the situation and it would freak me out. Another thing is that I could be in public when I get sick and I'd have no control and throw up right there wherever I was. I hate the feeling of not being in control. My husband gets so mad and tells me to let it go whatever happens happens but that's not how I function. I like to know what's going to happen and when it's going to happen, etc.... My husband had the stomach flu over the weekend and I have plans for every night this week and I'm honestly scared to death to go but I have no choice so here's to praying that I don't get it at all but let alone while I'm at work or my evening committments that cause me to be in front of 300 people nightly singing Ugh.

I can relate. I like to be in control of my body and sensations... although with this desire for control, i find myself feeling more out of control due to panic and fear, namely from this phobia. That is what's so terrifying about V*. Not being able to control my body. Not knowing how to brace myself if this event should happen. Not even knowing or remembering what V* feels like because it seems like such a foreign experience to me... something alien... something to be feared. The unknown. I read somewhere that a common thing with emetophobics is they almost all have an inner locus of control. This is definitely something i agree with.
    My YouTube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Emet Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well said, aurora917.

I`ve said it many times, but yes, it is all about control. I`ve always wanted to be in complete control of myself, & even seeing someone else lose control in any way is very disturbing for me. I think it`s because I had no control over my life as I was growing up, & I really resented that.

In order for me to feel safe in this world, I need to be able to predict things. Being sick, vomiting, is in many ways unpredictable, so yes, I have huge control issues.

I know I have control issues....my own body,time (this one is good for a laugh hehe. Who can control time?needless to say I always run late)work situations,public situations ,my kids(now that' a losing battle).......

So wish I could get over this phobia,my control issues, OCD behaviors....