Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Movies and TV

Post Movies and TV

I know that a common symptom is for people to not want to watch movies or tv shows because they are afraid that someone will v*. I am usually lucky enough to have someone like my boyfriend pre-screen movies that could be suspicious (the hangover, district 9, brides maids) but not all people are so I figured we could make a quick list of things you should avoid until you are cured so that you don't have to go through the trauma of watching it happen. Here are a few of my least favorites:
    • Brides Maids
    • District 9
    • Super Size Me

For some reason I can't think of anymore so go ahead and make a list to fill in the huge gaps.

Default Re: Movies and TV

Is there a sticky (permanent) thread on this somewhere? I seem to remember there was one at some point so people could keep adding to it, but I don't know where it has gone now. I can't think of any at the moment apart from the film Willow, which upset me when I was little, but that is pretty old now so I don't know if anyone would be watching it. I think the trend to get more graphic with this sort of thing is growing, which is a shame!

Stand by me has a pretty nasty v* scene, but it doesn't look very real so I was ok with it
    the worst for me was in monty python the meaning of life! there is an awful scene where there is this incredibly over weight guy, and he spends the entire sketch v*
    and lastly the exorcist, I saw this while I was eating too!
    I know that there are those that are waiting for failure, but
    my answer to that is that there is no such thing as failure.
    You can only fail if you stop too soon.

I think my phobia isn't as bad as some on here, so I've never really had a problem with people being ill in movies. In fact, although I did see and enjoy District 9 any v sequences can't have stuck in my mind as I've only been reminded of them by this thread! I do remember wincing a bit and maybe briefly looking away during Super Size Me, although again it's not as if it ruined the movie or I had to leave or anything.

And although I suppose the classic Mr Creosote sketch in Meaning of Life could well be the worst nightmare of a lot of people here, I've always thought it was really funny simply because it is so far over the top that you can't take it seriously! In fact, again, when I think of that sketch it's not all the projectile v that comes to mind, but actually the part at the end - "Just one more wafer thin mint?" (delivered in a cod-French accent) "**** off, I'm full" as that's the bit that everyone references and quotes!

Max, I don't know how bad your aversion to v in movies is, but you might like to know (or might not, I'll leave it up to you!), that one of the Scary Movies (no 2 I think) spoofs the famous "pea soup" scene of the Exorcist and it is pretty funny. However, whether watching that would soften the memory of having seen the original scene or not I'll leave you to decide...

The Sixth Sense has got some in, although that didn't bother me hugely. I really really hate that Meaning of Life thing and it's not even about the v*. I just find the concept hugely upsetting even though it's supposed to be funny. I don't know why; I'm just crazy I think. Ha. I'm too much of a wimp to have seen The Exorcist

I don't have an issue watching it on television/movies, but I'll make a list here for you guys.

1. The beginning of Scary Movie 2. Spoof of "The Exorcist".
    2. Katy Perry's Last Friday Night music video. (It doesn't seem real at all!)
    3. The Hangover (only the first one! It happens twice; once when they're trying to figure out what happened, they're sitting at the table by the pool and Stu realizes his tooth is missing etc, and then later at Mike Tyson's house, Allen vomits on the cop car or near it or whatever.)
    4. Stepmom (With Julia Roberts & Susan Sarandon; you don't actually see it, but since she has cancer & is undergoing treatment, you can hear her vomiting at one point in the movie. Some people, like myself, are more sensitive to the sound then actually seeing it.)
    5. GoodFellas (Again, not graphic. You can just tell he's being sick; it's the part where Henry, Tommy, and Jimmy have to go back and dig up Billy Batts.)
    6. Hope Floats
    7. Are We There Yet
    8. South Park
    9. Family Guy
    10. Jersey Shore

There's tons more but that' s all my brain can come up with for right now!

Here is the other thread you guys were looking for!
    http://emetophobia.org/showthread.php?t=18612

Lots of movies and TV shows listed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

actually, I think that I remember the scenes in the sixth sense that you are talking about and they were kind of graphic. I actually refuse to see district 9 because of the excess of v* scenes. The one that really sticks out in my memory though is the one in The Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, it is very graphic and there are like 4 kids being sick all at the same time, very gross. Oh and katy perry's music video didn't bother me AT ALL lol it just looks like she is spitting out yogurt or something, definitely nothing compared to the one in the video by Pink from a few years back. Another one that really seems to get to me for some reason is the one in The Sandlot when they get off of the carnival ride, even though I have seen the behind the scenes and I know that it is just vegetable soup. Lastly, thank you asianeko for the link! I didn't see it until much after I posted this thread, I really appreciate it!

I really loved District 9, but I did have to leave the midnight showing due to a panic attack. If you can watch it with a friend who will mute the graphic parts while you close your eyes, I really encourage it. The story is amazing, it's really a fantastic film.

I might try it once my boyfriend gets back from boot camp, he is very empathetic of my phobia and so he usually pre-screens movies for me. He has offered several times to help me sit through this one (he thinks its cute when I have moments of panic :P) so maybe (with your encouragement) I will give it a shot.

It took me a while to get the guts up to watch it after I had to walk out. By a while I mean nearly 2 years.

I must say, I am COMPLETELY in love with the movie. There is a chunk of time I have never watched (just due to the frequency of ick and being on edge, so even though I saw the normal stuff I didn't retain it) but I still was able to fully grasp the story. Perhaps your boyfriend can skip from the first time he's ill to after he's all done. There really isn't anything plotwise you'll be missing aside from the fact that he isn't feeling well, with a few other things going on (that I'll let your bf explain so I don't ruin the movie!)

There is also a scene later on where he makes a face like he's going to be sick, but he never does the deed. It's when he tries cat food.

yuck cat food? lol Thank you so much for all of the tips, it helps a lot!