Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Therapy?

Default Therapy?

I'm debating whether or not to get therapy. Does it work? Is it scary? I'm traveling this summer and I'm really nervous about flight. What if someone gets airsick?
    I've been fighting this for so long and I just don't feel like I have the energy to do it anymore. Is there a way to get over Emetophobia without therapy? If so, please tell me!
    Thanks

Default Re: Therapy?

I think you should get therapy if you can. It's not something that should be scary because it should be patient-led, ie you say what you are comfortable with. It's not something I have experienced but you are obviously ready to move on and I think therapy would be the best way of doing that. I don't know if there's a way to get over it without therapy. Quick fixes aren't always the best way of doing it perhaps. There are lots of sites offering quick fixes but I think some of them might be kind of scams. I would say go for therapy - talk to your doctor about your phobia and what he/she thinks would be best. CBT seems to be pretty effective for a lot of people xxx

I have had the same question for a long time now. I am always putting it off because I am afraid that a therapist will ask me to do something that is terrifying to me. I would say, what do you have to lose, if you have the money and you have decided you are ready. If I were you I would totally make sure my therapy was self-lead and then it shouldn't be more than you are willing to take.

A therapist should never ask you to do something or even suggest you do something that you don't want to do or that scares you. Don't get me wrong - lots of them do but I would avoid them at all costs! Like in every professions there are good people and not so good people. Be sure to choose carefully who you want to help you (if you possibly can).
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.