Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is it possible to avoid noro for life?

Okay, so from what I understand of noro, it's not technically an "airborne" virus, unless someone vomits in you vicinity and it is aerosolized and you take it into your body that way. From what I understand, the most common method of transmission is spread from hand to hand or someone shedding noro virus while preparing your food who didn't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

So let's say you washed your hands vigorously before eating and washed away any noro that might have come from touching surfaces or other people. And let's say you were to prepare all your own meals, or at least if you eat out, only eat things that are made piping hot without people actually touching it, like pizza, soup or steaks.

If you did this, shouldn't it be almost guaranteed that you'd never catch the noro bug?

ps - I know having kids can complicate things as they pick up everything and bring it home. But I don't have kids so that's not a worry for me at the time being.

Default Re: Is it possible to avoid noro for life?

It has to be possible because, honestly, I don't know anybody who has had noro, myself included. Neither of my parents have had it, nor my grandparents, nor any of my other extended family (to my knowledge), and certainly none of my friends. Because I'm the only emetophobic one in the bunch, I'm the only one who is VERY careful to wash my hands all the time and take the necessary (or unnecessary) precautions to not catch anything. Everyone else just lives their life!

It's for this reason that I really don't understand what all the scare about noro going around is. I have heard of a couple of isolated outbreaks in nursing homes or cruise ships, but that seems more the exception than the rule.

What am I missing here about noro?

I feel like it's definatley possible to abvoid noro for the remainder of your life. However, I just feel like if I were to purposely take every single precaution to ensure that I would never be sick (I'm referring to the extra precautions that emets take such as not eating at certain resturants, ect), I feel like I would be missing out on a higher quality of life. Obviously I wash my hands before eating/preparing food, after changing diapers, after bathroom use, ect but to me, the whole point of overcoming my emet is so that I will be able to do everything a person without the fear would do.

Know what I mean?
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

I think it may be possible, I mean there is a website (sadly taken down) where people show how long they have gone without v*, some have managed to go there whole lives without doing it although i'm not too sure if they managed to avoid noro their whole lives.
    but I sure hope you can, as long as your extra careful.
    I know that there are those that are waiting for failure, but
    my answer to that is that there is no such thing as failure.
    You can only fail if you stop too soon.

I mean, it would be nice if it didn't exist at all since its really the only part of this phobia that bothers me so much. However, I'd rather be sick 10 times a year and NOT be fearful of it like a non-emet would, instead of spending my time obsessing over ways to control my life in avoidance from it. Its hard for us not to question how someone can go about avoiding it for their whole lives, but then we are just kind of giving into the phobia by wanting to do so. =\

Quote Originally Posted by idontfeelreal View Post
    I mean, it would be nice if it didn't exist at all since its really the only part of this phobia that bothers me so much. However, I'd rather be sick 10 times a year and NOT be fearful of it like a non-emet would, instead of spending my time obsessing over ways to control my life in avoidance from it. Its hard for us not to question how someone can go about avoiding it for their whole lives, but then we are just kind of giving into the phobia by wanting to do so. =\
    Exactly my point!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-