Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Holiday Fears

Default Holiday Fears

I REALLY want to go to America in September to do a 9 day hike/tour around Vegas and all the National Parks but I am really nervous, so nervous that I might get sick from travel that its taking me forever to book.

Firstly, PLANES!... Never had a problem with getting sick on a plane but last time i went abroad for some reason i had a panic attack and since then I am really nervous that i might have another one or get sick and i will be on my own and i don't want to freak out the passenger sitting next to me.

Second worry is this tour. All the places i want to visit are between 3-6 hour coach journey. I have always had a problem with car and coach sickness and that's usually after 2 hours. I don't think i can handle 6 hours on the coach with strangers that i can't get away from if i start to feel unwell. And even if i take tablets i think i will still feel sick because i have a voice in my head that tells me they wont work.

I feel really screwed because i really really want to go but i am petrified
    "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."

Default Re: Holiday Fears

All I can say is that I went to Vegas & the Grand Canyon last year and it was the BEST HOLIDAY EVER! You should definitely do it - you'll have a ball! Plus the US is the emetophobe's ideal destination! There are pharmacies and public toilets everywhere, and even the dodgy little public toilets seem to have soap and automatic everything so you don't have to touch anything!

I don't get panic attacks, so can't help with the flying bit, except that if the worst happens and you do get sick, I've heard that the flight attendants are really nice about it. My friend got sick on a flight once and the flight attendant stayed and looked after her (which is what she wanted). Plus, if you're going from the UK to the US, you'll be in a massive plane so are really unlikely to get travel sick from that. Try to think of the fun bits - relaxing in a seat with nothing to do for ages except watch movies and be fed food in little compartments I love that! Could you take something for the panic attacks with you - like rescue remedy or something - in case you need it?

I also wouldn't worry about the coach trips. I get car sick too, but the roads in that area are DEAD STRAIGHT for hours. Seriously! I didn't feel at all car sick at any part of that holiday, and we did a million bus trips around that area. I didn't need them there, but my 'remedies' for bus travel if I'm scared of feeling car sick are to take crystalized ginger to nibble on, sit near the front where you can see the road ahead, talk to people nearby, and take food to snack on so you don't get hungry.

I REALLY hope you go - Vegas is SO cool and the landscape in that area is amazing - and like nothing you'll ever see in the UK!

Thanks a lot for your message! I am going to print it out and keep it with me throughout my whole trip for reassurance
    "There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."

Aw, that's lovely. I'm glad it helped You have a fantastic trip!

well if you do I'm located in wyoming at the base of the big horn mountains, and i can encourage you if you need it!

hey i go traveling alot and i live close to where your going to be traveling as well as been there myself! and all i got to say is dont worry
    i was scared of the planes too i got so anxious over nothing take some motion sickness pills before going they make you fall asleep most the time chew peppermint flavored gum it relaxes your stomach try distracting yourself listen to music or something. you can also but patches and stuff to help with motion sickness this will all help when your in a vehical too keeping yourself calm is key since motion sickness is known to be sumthing mental it can be provented....
    next the new food can be harsh sometimes but its never been enough to make me throw up the good thing about america is that they have a variety of food stick to foods that your familiar with and are easy on the stomach
    wash your hands alot buy sanitizer keeping your hands clean helps alot obviously
    if your going swimming in hotels or what not make sure you don't swallow any water and take a nice long shower after to clean yourself.
    and last one the people ...people who are sick walking around with the flu is unusual no one likes to be out when there sick rather stay at home if you see someone who may be sick just stay calm and stay far away from them and you will be fine don't let emetophobia stop you from having a good trip!! anyways those are some of my travel tips sorry for the really bad grammer i wrote this in a hurry

I would totally go! Im very jealous, as a person who is DESPERATE to go to the USA I wouldn't say no in a heartbeat but I can very much understand your fears of going! I look forward to hearing all about it

E x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i just agreed yesterday to go to New York, my sister invited me to see a concert with her there tbh im pretty nervous too about my anxiety and stomach acting up but i gotta be strong! >.<