Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Very small step forward!

Today I was driving about a 2 hour trip to see my family who live a while away. Anyway, there was this car pulled over on the side of the motorway. I always look at cars who are pulled over, I am not sure why. Anyway, there was this guy squatting next to his car vomiting. I am one of those people who are really scared of seeing other people vomiting, but I managed to drive past without freaking out! My heart did race a little bit for about a minute afterwards, but I didn't completely go psycho like I usually would.

I am taking this as a small step forward. I actually started talking to someone who has emetophilia recently. I have been asking him a lot of questions about it and it has been great talking to someone who is not scared of talking about vomit. We have been talking about it to try and desensitise me from the imagery of it. I ask a lot of curious questions and he answers honestly. I think it actually helps talking to someone who likes it because it shows me that not everybody gets nervous around it, and it makes me feel a little calmer. I could never like vomiting, but I am hoping by talking to this person that I might become a little bit desensitised and he might be able to help me get over my phobia. It is still early days, and I am nowhere near cured, but I hope it is helping. At this point I would absolutely freak out if anyone vomited near me, but today showed me that I can maintain composure while viewing it from a distance, which I didn't used to be able to do.

Anyway I know this is a very strange method of trying to get over it, but at this point I am willing to try anything, and I just thought I would share.

Default Re: Very small step forward!

I'm glad that you're taking a step forward! Congrats! I always look at the cars on the side of the road too...lol! I'm doing a similar thing, my friend loves v*ing so I've had her tell me all the things she likes about it so maybe I can think about that when I get scared.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Yeah. I think having an opposite perspective is good sometimes. I can't really judge anyone who loves vomit, because I am just as unusual due to being scared of vomit. I find it quite interesting getting other people's opinions, especially when they are so different to mine.

What's emetophilia?

It means they like vomit basically.