Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Still Worried

My boyfriend was sick on December 28th with what he thinks was food poisoning. You see, the day before, he had poured a glass of store bought egg nog at work and left the glass out -- but still drank it -- for five hours! The next morning, he woke up with stomach pains and had dia***** several times, and made himself v**** later on because he felt dizzy. His stepmother had dia***** for days and when her and my bf's dad went to Florida my bf's dad got sick, too. We were around them on Christmas Eve when his stepmom was sick.

I am so afraid that I am going to get the stomach virus that I've been washing my hands constantly, and I've been disinfecting the house slowly for fear of exposing myself, even though I was pretty much in the same room as my bf the day he was sick. I haven't eaten much since, and when I do eat, I feel sick. I've been worried so much that boyfriend is mad at me, and I feel so bad because I'm pushing him away. The house is still a mess, and I feel as though everything is contaminated. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know what to think. This constant fear is making me depressed. I think the only way I'd feel better is if a doctor tested me and said I had no chance of getting a stomach bug.

This is the worst feeling ever! Sorry for posting this, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I can't relax.

Relax. You are doing all you can do. Washing your hands and
    keeping the house clean are the best way to prevent the spread of
    germs. You said he was sick on the 28th? Well it's been 4
    days. I think if you don't have any symptoms by tom you will be
    fine. I know it's hard not to worry, but you will be ok. I
    always think of the time that I had the dreaded bug. My sister
    and grandmother were taking care of me in the bathroom all night.
    They washed their hands and my grandmother even cleaned the bathroom
    the next day , and neither one got sick. So thats some promising
    news! Let us know how things are. Carrie

You sound like me. I get so worried, and I don't even have to be around a sick person! You really are doing all you can, and I know that doesn't help, because it feels like the seconds tick by and you want to crawl the walls. Try and do something to get your mind off of it, take a walk, watch a movie, just something to break the anxiety. And if you haven't told your boyfriend and family about your phobia, it's probably best to do so, that way they can understand what you're going through. Hope things go better for you soon!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks for the responses....

My boyfriend knows all about my fear. His family does also, but I don't think they know the severity.

I am just wondering now what the maximum exposure is for this.

I don't have the answer to that... I've heard a person is contagious for 72 hours after they last v*d. As far as an environment being contaminated, I don't know..... I wish there was a straight answer, but different places say different things.It was posted on here that a health agency said that viruses can live on surfaces for 3 hours. I think if you go with the 72 hours, you're ok.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Well, I found that same post when I was doing research on the stomach virus, and that is when I joined the board. I am still worried as anything, and I was really bad last night. I can't wait until this all passes.

By the way, the dog in your avatar looks EXACTLY like my Mother's dog! How cute!

That's Chloe, she's an American Eskimo. I love her!!![img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img]

My Mom's dog's name is Ish, and sheis American Eskimo and Jack Russell Terrier....VERY Hyper!

Update: I just got some Lysol [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img] I couldn't be more ecstatic! I looked at it and said "You are my hero". [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Edited by: missbecca

2jo2~~ Your dog is an absolute cutie!! What a sweet looking face!! He must be spoiled rotten, I would if he belonged to me!!

Well, the reason as to why I am writing in here again....Well, look at the title.

I broke down last night, and was telling my boyfriend that this is a living nightmare. I have been upst worried and upset about this for a week now. I wake up worried about the stomach virus, I go to sleep worrying about the stomach virus. I've been going to bed pretty late despite how tired I am because I'm afraid if I go to bed early, I will wake up in the middle of the night and be sick. This is the worst feeling in the world....I just want time to fast forward into maybe next week or something.

I'm Pathetic!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]Edited by: missbecca

I know how you feel... I know you're still worried but
    you've got to know by now that the chances of you getting the stomach
    virus are over and done with. I know it's so hard to accept that,
    because you just can't stop worrying and obsessing with it, but I hope
    that you can get past it now. December 28th was quite a while ago now -
    you're past the danger zone, I think. :-) If you want to talk, PM
    me, or my AOL screen name is frosty718.</font>

Quote Originally Posted by missbecca

Well, the reason as to why I am writing in here again....Well, look at the title.

I broke down last night, and was telling my boyfriend that this is a living nightmare. I have been upst worried and upset about this for a week now. I wake up worried about the stomach virus, I go to sleep worrying about the stomach virus. I've been going to bed pretty late despite how tired I am because I'm afraid if I go to bed early, I will wake up in the middle of the night and be sick. This is the worst feeling in the world....I just want time to fast forward into maybe next week or something.

I'm Pathetic!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

You are NOT pathetic! I have spent countless nights worrying about the same thing you are! You are WAYYYYYY past the incubation period, if your still worried about getting a bug. (It may not have even been a bug) So...I would say you are in the clear, since your bf was sick on Dec. 28. Try not to worry too much. When you go to bed, play some relaxing music, light a candle, and lay there and meditate. (blow out the candle if you get sleepy!) Let your mind take you somewhere else! You will do fine....and you are not going to get sick!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte

Um...how on earth did I quote both our our conversations???? LOL!!! Stupid me!

Charlotte

Thank-You guys so much! I really appreciate the quick and very nice responses! You have both helped me out very much so!

By the way, can the stomach virus live in your mouth, like on your teeth with tartar? Edited by: missbecca

Quote Originally Posted by missbecca

Thank-You guys so much! I really appreciate the quick and very nice responses! You have both helped me out very much so!

By the way, can the stomach virus live in your mouth, like on your teeth with tartar?

No, the stomach virus can't live on your teeth. This bug lives in your stomach and intestines. If you or someone else is carrying, or has it, then the virus will be in your mouth (saliva) until it has run it's course.

No need to worry about that...if it is around, it would only be present in your stomach; although lots of little "cavity creeps" like to live in tartar, and that is just harmless bacteria. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Charlotte