Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Do you guys think it is possible for a person to not be able to v* anymore, like if a person hasn't done it for so long that they loose the abilty?? cuz this is going to sound stupid but i am unable to burp and burping and v* are kinda connected right?

Lindsey

Not sure about that. It could be possible that you can train yourself to avoid v*...but sometimes the body needs to v* so bad you can't force it to go away.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I completely agree with the above poster... I do think
    some people are more prone to v*ing than others, but in a very serious
    illness, your body is going to do what it has to do to get rid of it.
    Hope that helps.</font>

I can't burp either. I can't join my kids in their burping contests at the dinner table..lol! They always say, "mom can't burp, ha ha ha!" *Sigh*...I guess it can be a good thing, but it's no fun...lol.

I guess I have always been afraid to try and burp, fearing that it would "bring a friend", so I know what you are saying; although I can sure v when I am sick! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]Charlotte

sorry to dissapoint but unless the vomit part has been removed - i thin everyone will have the capability to v* but it just depends how likely we are to let it happen. like emets try to fight it harder than non emets i guess.

but then going against the rule are my parents - they are def no emet, but they havent v* in 20 years or so!!

ems x

which also kinda makes me think that has something to do with me developing emet - coz v*ing was so unheard of when i grew up - and when me or my sister did IT - then it was always a big deal in our house...
    hmmm....?

hey i cant burp either. i dont think that its impossible for us emets to V* but i think we have the ability to override it if that makes sense. for example, the norwalk virus was going round at work, every single person had it with V*. I got it too, i felt nausaus and had very bad D* but wasnt actually sick. Also a freind i went to school with had cancer and had to have chemo therapy alot. The first time she got very sick. The second time she was so determined not to get sick, and she said she just sat there for hours willing it to go away and it worked for her and she wasnt sick from chemo.

Throwing up is our body's emergency cleansing system. To us, it's scary, it is very unpleasent and the nausea is torture. Yet, it is our body's way of protecting us, even if we just have a nasty flu.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

I actually believe you might be able to lose the ability to v*, especially if you are emet. I've heard all your comments about when the body really needs to get rid of something it will and there's nothing you can do about it - and others have told me this so many times, but it doesn't happen to me. Ving is controlled by a trigger in the brain, and I have read somewhere (can't remember where it was now) that some emets supress themselves so much that they actually 're-wire' their brain to such an extent that they can't physically v* and I believe I've done that. I've had a couple of instances where I think I would have v* had I not been emet, but all that's happened is I've heaved and nothing's even moved inside me! I haven't physically done 'it' for 18 years!!