Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Lightbulb Anyone of you have problems taking pills?

ive had eme for 5 years now and i never take any meds, i have noticed that just about 95% for you guys do though.

im thinking about starting to take some (my eme is really stroung this year) but i have a history of having to chew my pills because i cant swallow them in time. I always have to spit them back out.

have a good day

Default Re: Anyone of you have problems taking pills?

I have a problem with pills too, although I can swallow some pills. It's like my throat closes up at the thought of even trying. Luckily some pills can be crushed and put into food.

It also always makes me mad when people think I'm crazy that I can't take them.

You are definitely not alone on this.

I used to have such problems with taking pills. I still can't take the huge multivitamins, so I take gummy adult multivitamins. What I've found helps a bit is placing the pill near the back of your tongue and drinking a bunch of water at once. If it's in the front of my mouth I can stop it going down, but if it's far enough back it will go down involuntarily when I swallow.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I'm 41 years old and still chew every single pill I have to take!

Warm drinks make it easier because it relaxes your throat muscles. I can take plastic or gelatine coated pills fine, but powdery textured ones I have to break up into tiny pieces or disperse in water.

I have always had problems taking pills from childhood and am now 44! Can only take the Ibrofen that are the tablets that dissolve on the tongue, all antibiotics i take have to be in medicine form as a suspension as cant take pills! Have to cut tablets into about 6, making them as tiny as possible to be able to take with water, even then, will drink all the water and still have the tiny tablet in my mouth! then spit it out anyway because it tastes gross!

One thing I do sometimes to make it easier, is I will take my allergy pill (not a very big pill) when I a meal. For some reason taking a bite of food and swallowing it and then swallowing the pill with a lot of water helps me.

I used to have a very hard time swallowing pills. My mom made me practice with Tic Tac's when I was younger and honestly, it helped a lot. I swallow pills all the time now because I have so many prescriptions. It's just a habit now although sometimes I do gag a bit if it does not go down smoothly. It just takes practice, but totally doable.

I used to have this problem when I was a bit younger, my dad had to crush them up or cut them into small bits for me and I had to take them with a drink. It was like my throat closed up and just refused to swallow them.

Its still a bit difficult now but I am getting better, I can take most painkillers etc whole however sometimes I struggle with large antibiotics and the like.

I don't have a problem taking them, well not really, I just don't like too after my experience of almost being sick after taking luvox or whatever it's called.

but I learned in ip that instead of putting your head back when trying to take them, put your head down towards the ground and it's easier. If you put your head back, it closes your throat somewhat.

practice with m&ms, thats what I had to do, other than that you can try taking it with applesauce !

I used to have a problem with takin pills, but now I'm just used to it since I take my birth control everyday. I haven't had any meds for emet or anxiety though. I really want anxiety medication! haha

I can eat pills like candy. No issue here.

I can swallow pills. My problem with them (even antiemetics) is that I'm afraid they might make me nauseous and vomit. If you look up the possible side-effects of any pill, including antimets, one of them is always nausea. So unless I'm absolutely DYING, I avoid pills - all pills.

ive had a problem with pills ever since i g*ged on one while trying to swallow it when i was younger. it totally freaked me out because when i g*ged my mom made this grossed out face and slid her empty salad bowl under my mouth because she thought i was going to v* but all that happened was i spit out the pill into the bowl.
    i have to take a pill twice a day and i SUCK at it. my pills arent coated and no matter what i do i cant take them without tasting them. THEY ARE SOOOO NASTY! ewww!

actually, i need some advice about pill taking related things:

so, i have to get up even on weekends at 7 AM to take my pill, and once i do i can't get back to sleep because freaking out about swallowing it wakes me up. i go back to bed but i just end up laying there for hours until i'm so bored i just get up. its making me sooo tired! i never get to sleep in! i know my mom my dad my boppie and my nonnie both say 7 AM is late enough to get up as it is but i am NOT a morning person, and i'm a teen. I need my sleep lol! does this happen to anyone else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why do you have to take your pill at 7am? Usually there is some leeway with when you can take pills.

I used to have a similar problem when we got a puppy- he would want to go out at 6 am and then there was no way I could get back to sleep. But as he got older we started getting up for him later each day, now he waits till we're up.

i have to take it at 7 am because i have to take it twice a day at the same time, so i have to take it at 7 am and 7 pm each day. 7 is the only time that works because any time later i'd already be at school and i'm not so fond of the idea of leaving class to go make my "pill taking faces" in the nurses office while i try and swallow it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have always had trouble taking pills it sucks.
    They always just come right back up. Not throwing up but like a reflex. lol
    I take most of my meds in liquid if i can. The powder of pills tastes so nasty when you have to crush them.