Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy 4 down, 1 to go (that would be me) ...

Hi everyone. I'm new here - I joined 'cause I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

The whole family has been having a kind of cold/sv* for about a week. Gran had d* last Monday. Step-dad got ill last Thursday (v* and d*). Mum seemed to get what Gran had last Thurs. Younger sister had n* on Monday this week. Other sister had d* Tuesday and v* briefly Wednesday (yesterday). And then Mum came down with v* (twice) Wednesday around midnight. I've been avoiding using the bathroom where necessary, and stayed away from home from last Weds til last Sunday. I also have my own room, and I'm washing my hands all the time, even using Domestos, and using hand gel. I've had flare ups with IBS last few days, and have been panicking like hell for over a week. Hoping like anything I won't catch it!

Default Re: 4 down, 1 to go (that would be me) ...

I haven't had a sv* in years...15 to be exact...and to be honest with you, I'm NOT one of those people to wash their hands religiously..I do after I use the bathroom and before I eat..I don't wash my hands simply because its sv season.....but id be very very careful not to touch or go near anybody or anything that could possibly have been contaminated. Last winter, I was in my room for nearly a week because my sisters kids came down with the sv*. I'm sure you willl be fine...just don't put unwashed hands in your mouth...people rarely wash their hands after v*ing...which it does seem kinda weird to, but that is how its most often spread, I believe
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

I'm sorry you're going through this as long as you keep your personal hygiene levels up and make sure your hands are clean before you eat you should be fine. Hand gel isn't effective against viruses sadly, you'd be better off with an anti-viral hand foam or something - are you from the UK?
    You seem to be doing pretty well so far, so keep calm and keep going as you are - remember the IBS flare-ups are almost certainly down to nerves, so try to find reassurance in that

Talking Re: 4 down, 1 to go (that would be me) ...

Thank you both. Mum seems to be feeling better, so fingers crossed everything should be OK.

Bex - Thanks for the reassurance, and yes, I am from the UK, albeit the other end of it from your perspective!

Ha ha! Well try this stuff one day:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Advanc...-50ml_1036205/

I don't know if it's effective against noro (I've never used it beofre myself) but I'm sure it'd be a safer bet than anti-bac gel I noticed you said you'd been using Domestos...do you mean on your hands?! Or surfaces..?
    Everything beyond the midlands is the other end of the country as far as i'm concerned

Red face Re: 4 down, 1 to go (that would be me) ...

About the Domestos..... :3 On the surfaces, as well as on my hands (in solution, with great care.) :3 At least they're clean. I picked up some alcohol-free hand foam earlier so I'm using that now.

Haha, in which case I'm definitely at the other end! North Yorkshire - light years away!

Anti-viral? Or just anti-bac? I haven't seen any anti-viral stuff in store yet
    Hmm, be careful with the bleach thing...I can't imagine it's much good for you, even when watered down...
    How's the anxiety? I hope it's calmed down now

Inordinately careful, as always. Now it seems to have been round everyone (with the exception of yours truly - yay!) there's little need to be quite so vigilant - soap will suffice.

It says it kills both viruses and bacteria, but apparently I can't post the link yet - my post count is pitifully low. :3 It's called "NO-GERMS Instant Hand Sanitiser. Might be completely useless, but it eases the anxiety somewhat. Speaking of which, the anxiety is showing a marked improvement - I guess you can only fret that much for so long before the brain says "Screw this, I've got better things to do!"

Ahh, I wish my brain got to that stage...but well done for overcoming it! I foolishly tried to numb my anxiety with mulled wine last night...definitely not a wise move in retrospect.
    How long have you had emet for, out of interest?

Everybody in the uk who wants antiviral hand cleaner get mentholatum responsebeta from boots. It says its proven to kill viruses and is active for up to 2 hours and doesnt chap hands. Or get to primark for their squeaky clean and proud wipes, they contain benzalkonium chloride which kills noro as does sainsburys toddler wipes (in bright green packaging)

Quote Originally Posted by becca44 View Post
    Everybody in the uk who wants antiviral hand cleaner get mentholatum responsebeta from boots. It says its proven to kill viruses and is active for up to 2 hours and doesnt chap hands. Or get to primark for their squeaky clean and proud wipes, they contain benzalkonium chloride which kills noro as does sainsburys toddler wipes (in bright green packaging)
    Thanks Becca, that's made my day

Smile Re: 4 down, 1 to go (that would be me) ...

Thats ok, but best of all the primark ones are 99p for a pack of 2! We are very well stocked up in our house.

Quote Originally Posted by becca44 View Post
    That's the active ingredient in the No-Germs stuff too. Definitely gonna get some of that next time.

I'm still a little anxious, but not to the point of locking myself in my room and bleaching my hands. Ahh, perhaps not a great strategy - could prove problematic!

I'm not entirely sure - I don't remember being quite as bad as I am now when I was younger. I think the real phobia started when my Dad was ill - he had cancer, and one of the side effects of his chemotherapy was v*ing. Unfortunately, he died when I was 9 - maybe my subconscious associates it with that? However, I also have other (social) phobias, so maybe they're interlinked. Don't get me started on psychianalysis - I could go on all day!

*psychoanalysis - can't spell today! :P

did u ever catch it?