Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help! My dog licked vomit!

Hi there!

My dog licked vomit off in some area in my apartment complex and he even stepped in it. I don't see any on his feet. Is there any way I can get sick even if he were to lick me and I were to put my hands in my mouth (that's gross I know, I am trying to rule out everything here).

Please help as I am worrying about this.

Default Re: Help! My dog licked vomit!

You should be fine! Just keep your hands clean. Are you sure the vomit was from a sick person (who had a stomach virus)? Or is it possible it was alcohol/hangover-related vomit? Or even dog vomit, for that matter? There are so many reasons for a non-emet to vomit other than from an infectious virus. I can completely understand your panic, but as long as you don't share any food with your dog, you should be totally fine

my dog has done this before! dogs just don't care do they and eat anything!

I figure that the majority of v* you see in public is down to alcohol related stuff, most people who have an sv either make it to a bathroom or go home once they start feeling ill. Either way, you won't catch anything and your dog won't either...dogs are used to eating crap!

don't worry :-)

Thanks for your responses. I am trying very hard to control the anxiety. First, this is my logical conclusion from the vomit:

1. I don't know how long it has been sitting there in the dirt. I may have been longer than two weeks.

2. Someone could have gotten sick from too much alcohol on New Years Eve and got sick

These are the two affirmations I am telling myself to get over my worry. What do you think? My mother in law told me that there is no way I can get the virus from the dog. She said that a dog's mouth kills stuff like that. What do you think about that?

actually your mother in law is right. According to my vet and many others, a dogs tongue and inside of mouth kills bacteria hence why a dog can eat other animal faeces and not get poisoned.

Your logical conclusions are correct

(oops didn't finsih last message!) and you will be fine :-) x

Ewww.!!! But yes, you should be fine...OMG I would have freaked out...dogs are such strange creatures they lick anything lol