Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fear of v* or fear of getting ill?

Sometimes I wonder if I'm scared of the act of v* or just scared of the general crappy illness feeling that comes with it. Because I associate v* with having a sv which is horrible even without the sick I think that the main reason I fear I'm gonna v* is because if I do it means i'm ill. Make sense to anyone?
    I mainly thought this because last year i drank far too much one night and felt so nauseous the next day and I knew I was going to throw up, and I wasn't scared and didn't really mind because I knew that once I was sick it would be over

Default Re: Fear of v* or fear of getting ill?

For me it's not knowing how many times I will v* or how long I'll feel bad...so I think it's both...but its definitely v*ing for sure.

I'm mostly just afraid of the sv* because it usually involves an entire night of v*. If you drink too much then you can v* and feel better and know that it doesn't have to continue. It still scares me very much but the sv* is what scares me the most.

yes that makes sense......i unfortunately am afraid of everything that involves v. except other people doing it.....somehow that doesn't get to me. i stop drinking after 3 because i don't want to get sick from it. but anything with me feeling nauseous sets me off.

I'm terrified of the feeling before and the fact that when you V you can't breath. I am terrified of choking or not being able to breath. I even have have a fear of being under water because i don't want something to happen that I can't come back up.

I am so glad you asked this because I have been meaning to post something related! I would say 97% of my Emet is related to the stomach virus. I don't worry about food poisoning or drinking too much or getting sick from my stomach issues. The words don't bother me. Seeing or hearing vomit doesn't bother me anymore than it would gross out a non-Emet (unless it runs the risk of being contagious). Germs don't bother me in general at all, but I have become pretty neurotic about germs solely because of the stomach virus alone.

I personally think I fear the virus the most because I hate the idea of an illness invading my body and not being able to control it. Its the 'not knowing' that's the worst. I also attribute the fear of the virus to seasonal depression a lot. I know Noro goes around all year, but I don't worry about it nearly as much, if at all, in the summer time when I am 258767 times happier.

I fear the act of vomiting the most, I am nauseous all the time because of my anxiety disorder so im used to the nausea. I fear the act because its just so scary! I mean its so violent. Your whole body lurching and shaking as you gag. Its just so awful, then the taste after its done oh the taste its so gross. Luckily you can get rid of the taste easy by brushing your teeth or using mouthwash unlike garlic or onion lol . I also fear for the wait of the expulsion. I mean you know that moment just before you throw up and your retching away and your thinking to yourself "okay, whens it gonna happen" cause you dont know!

Quote Originally Posted by idontfeelreal View Post
    I am so glad you asked this because I have been meaning to post something related! I would say 97% of my Emet is related to the stomach virus. I don't worry about food poisoning or drinking too much or getting sick from my stomach issues. The words don't bother me. Seeing or hearing vomit doesn't bother me anymore than it would gross out a non-Emet (unless it runs the risk of being contagious). Germs don't bother me in general at all, but I have become pretty neurotic about germs solely because of the stomach virus alone.

I personally think I fear the virus the most because I hate the idea of an illness invading my body and not being able to control it. Its the 'not knowing' that's the worst. I also attribute the fear of the virus to seasonal depression a lot. I know Noro goes around all year, but I don't worry about it nearly as much, if at all, in the summer time when I am 258767 times happier.
    I could have written this myself! Thats exactly how I feel. The words don't bother me. Seeing someone doing it is obviously gross but it only freaks me out if they're doing it because they're sick and contagious. I also am much worse in the winter. I don't want to leave my house a lot for fear of catching it. I'm not worried about colds or flu or respiratory illnesses. Of course they suck, but I'm not frightened of them like I am a stomach virus.

the only time i worry is during the school year or when someone is sick in my home.

Just the fact of it makes me nervous. If i feel like it or think its going to happen i get so nervous.

I could feel like I got hit with a truck and if I knew that I wasn't going to actually throw up I'd be just fine.

ahh! this is me! I'm so afraid to get the sv, and I'm so hyper sensitive to everything every feeling cause I'm afraid i will get it and be sick
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

The seconds before, where you know, how you can feel everything. For me I think its just the moment before. If it didn't come with nausea I don't think I'd find it that bad.

Originally Posted by idontfeelreal

I could have written this myself! Thats exactly how I feel. The words don't bother me. Seeing someone doing it is obviously gross but it only freaks me out if they're doing it because they're sick and contagious. I also am much worse in the winter. I don't want to leave my house a lot for fear of catching it. I'm not worried about colds or flu or respiratory illnesses. Of course they suck, but I'm not frightened of them like I am a stomach virus.
    Exactly!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by krisdance83; 01-15-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    waiting for the end to come...wishing i had strength to stand...
    this is not what i had planned...it's out of my control...

V* in general for me. After I had my twins I wanted to get plastic surgery (I had wanted a breast aug since I was about 20), however I was so afraid of vomiting after anesthesia, because I know it can be common. However my plastic surgeon I told all about my fear and she prescribed me 2 different nausea meds and the transdermal scope for behind my ear. Needless to say, so happy with the results and no v* after the procedure!