Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Yesterday my boyfriend of 2 years had to have surgery on his throat because he had a massive lump in his throat that had to be removed. Well when they took it to the lab to be tested, finds out it was cancerous. So he had to stay in the hospital, and go back to surgery again! He had to get his whole gland that it was attached to taken out. Poor baby. Well lastnight when i went to see him he was fine. Mostly in and out of sleep. Today I went to see him, and I saw that litle vomit thingy sitting on the table. I immediately got dizzy and nauseous and had to sit down. I kept asking him if he felt sick or if he felt like he was going to vomit. I couldn't stay that long because I was so nervouse that he would vomit. When I left he made me put a basin that was in the room next to him just in case he feels sick. I don't know how someon could even be sick in that little bean shaped thingy. Well, now I don't know if he is going to have to go through chemotherapy or not to kill all the cancer cells. Then he will be sick alot. Noooo! I feel really bad for not being able to be there for him though. I just can't stand vomit. I'm scared now. For him,havingcancer,and for me, having to deal with the vomit.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow I'm really sorry to hear about your boyfriend. but don't think about his being sick. He will be strong. You need to help him be strong and fight the cancer. His vomiting is from cancer and chemo not sickenss, so think positivly because you wont get it from him. My aunt has breast cancer and after chemo for years she is just so weak. They say she isnt going to make it. But it has been five years! He is a big boy so it wont be so bad when he is sick. Just make sure he doesnt get dehydrated, he will only get more v* sick. Remember no food, liqids or anything inside his mouth or body until he stops being sick for two hours, then only small sips ever 15 minutes, and then more over a few hours. I know this must be tough. But he needs you, just try and hide the phobia a little, not really hide it, just dont show to him how he is affecting you or I think it will make him more sad, and he needs to be happy to get through all this. We are always here for you.

I have a good friend who's mom had breast cancer and went through chemo, and I dont think she got vomit sick at all. Those drugs are better these days than they used to be and the nausea drugs are even better. I hope that your boyfriend gets better and recovers from this and doesnt have anymore cancer!!!!

I had an uncle go through chemo, and he didn't even feel sick, just tired, from whatI was told.

I am so sorry to hear about your boyfriend! I swear, cancer is becoming outrageous now. So many lives taken. Whoever can come up with a cure for cancer or AIDS will be a saint for sure!

But anyway, my mom's best friend recently found out she had breast cancer. She had surgery to remove the lump, but they gave her chemo to control the spreading. Well, she got really v* sick from the first round, but the second round, she didn't get sick at all--she was only tired. So I will pray for your boyfriend's health, and your ability to cope with his illness.

When my husband's grandma was sick and dying three years ago, I went to the hospital everyday. The morphine made her very sick, so whenever she would say, "I need the basin," I would run out into the hallway and plug my ears until she was done. I survived two months worth of that nearly everyday and I lived to tell about it. Love really makes you stronger. I have faith that you will be able to support him, no matter how sick he is. God bless you.

Heather

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh gosh...I can imagine how you feel! You may have to try and do the "unthinkable" and help him some. Does he know about your fear?

Just think of it this way...you can't catch it from him; so if worst comes to worst, can't you explain to him that you need to leave the room when/if he v's?? Just let him know to warn you somehow?

I hope he doesn't have to go through too much with this, and I hope you don't have to worry too much about the v. I would just talk to him when he is a bit better (and if he does go through chemo) and let him know that you care sooo much, but you have this fear of v...If he is a loving and understanding man, there will be no problem. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your boyfriend.

My grandmother had lymphoma in several different areas of her body including her stomach and went through 6 months of chemo. I think she only got sick once through the whole thing. Her appetite actually increased and all she wanted to eat was sweet stuff. She ended up gaining weight instead of losing it. And, she is real easy to *v* anyway, so it was a big deal that she never got sick like that.

As some of the others said, the nausea meds are so much better now than they used to be. Even if your boyfriend starts to get sick, they can probably give him something to eliminate it.

I know this has to be awful for you, but keep us updated on how things are going!

Jess

I'm sorry about the news, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, both for him to be cancer free and you to be strong and be able to help him.

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I'm so sorry about your boyfriend. Just try to be there for him as best as you can. My mom had breast cancer last year and had very brutal chemo. She was nauseous, but she never vomited b/c the antiemetics (sp?) were so strong. They have a lot of good drugs out there now to help prevent feeling nauseous and prevent vomiting. She said she had the worst heartburn though. She's doing good now. I think the worst part of seeing someone go through chemo is when they lose their hair. That was horrible for me to see. Take care and I hope everything gets better for your two.

I'm so sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I'll be thinking of both of you.

Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear all of this...I hope everything will be okay, and I will keep you in my thoughts.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My Dad died of cancer. He went through 3 operations, the ICU, months
    upon monthes in the hospital and all the chemo things. Would you like
    to talk more about this? I dont want to discuss it here, but my email
    is

[email protected]

feel free to email me.

you and your BF are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for all of your support guys. My boyfriend was able to come home this afternoon. He says that he doesn't really feel nauseous, but just that his throat hurts really bad. He will have to go back to the hospital tommorow and get a clean wrap on the area that they cut open on his neck. I feel like such a bad person for not being able to take care of him, I really love him so much, but I get really lightheaded and start to shake when i even think that someone might vomit. The doctors haven't really said anything about doing chemotherapy yet, so lets just pray...

Again guys, thanks so much for your support, it really does help in times of need.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>

I am praying for your boyfriend. I am glad they removed your lump. It is hard to see someone you love go through this and it is also hard being in the hospital as an emetaphobic. You are very brave for being there for him and facing the prospect that he might have vomitted.