Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: question!!!

hey, I was wondering if somebody could help me out with this....my sister and I are both emetophobic, although mine is more severe than her's.

My question is....my sister's boyfriend had come down with a bad stomach bug this past Monday (Jan 10). His father, who lives in the same house, had the bug aday or 2 before, (Sat/Sun) lasting about 24 hours. The mother, who also lives there, has just come down with the bug today (Tue Jan 11). My sister and I are trying to figure out when it'd be safe without a doubt for her to go back overto their housewihtout worrying about anybody being contagious, so that she wont catch it and neither will I :-\. Like I said, the most recent person to get it came down with it Tue Jan 11. I know they say it's a few days after you are no longer having symptoms that you're still contagious, but could someone give me an exact number? also could you give me a day that should definitely be safe for her to go back over there where nobody will be contagious?

if someone could help, I'd appreciate it, I'm freaking out more than a little over here :-\

I am having the same problem with being afraid of having the stomach virus, because my boyfriend was really sick for a day two weeks ago, either with that or food poisoning. This has really been a low blow for me, as I am afraid to clean or go out much for fear that I will catch it.

Anyway, My Mother, who understands this fear, went to her doctor for a check-up and explained my situation. She asked her doctor how long the virus lives outside of the body, as far as surfaces are concerned, and My Mom asked "Three days?" The doctor said "Not even". She also told my Mom that you get it one or two days after you've been exposed to it. Just so you know, this doctor graduated from High School at the age of thirteen, and has a few degrees, so she knows what she's talking about! I have also read that the person is contagious about 72 hours after they are sick.

I Hope That This Helps You Out!

Well, I have read many places that the person with the bug is contagious 24 hours (or more) after their symptoms have gone. (diarrhea, etc)

Incubation for the stomach bug could be 12 hours to 72 hours. I would say you are in the clear after 72 hours.

Just be cautious if you go over there. Don't drink or eat after any of them, wash your hands, don't touch your face....and maybe keep your distance. Hope I have helped you some! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte

If I was in your situation and knowning myself I wouldn't be going over there until the weekend,but that is just me. With flu bugs they can be so unpredictable, the nurse practitioner that I know has said to me that the strains of flu's that she has seen in her patients are unbelievable, and she continues to tell them wash your hands. I don't know it is up to you and how you feel.

This probably sounds dumb, but I usually consider myself in the clear after a full week. IMO I think 3 days is too soon to tell. I have heard people getting it the week after in the same house but it is usually 2-3 days.

I agree with skinnyme on waiting a week.... my parents had the bug in December, my step dad had it on a Tuesday evening and my mom didn't come down with it until the following Monday. Now she could have been exposed and it took her body the max amount of time to come down with it, and that's why it took so long, but I would be extra cautious if it were me. A coworker also had it go through her family, with her kid having it Christmas eve, husband the following Monday (Dec. 27) and her the following Sunday (Jan. 2). So those are a few examples of why I would be cautious... I don't want to scare anyone, but how else can you explain the length of time between infections?
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Yeah, thats what I thought. It does sometimes happen outside of a week, thats why I always wait the full week, sometimes even a couple of days more. Im talking about how long I almost stop eating for.

thanks for all your quick replys!

since she (the mother, the last person to get the bug)came down with it yesterday (Tuesday) and seems to hardly be symptomatic anymore today, I'm waiting until Monday or Tuesday of next week to go over there. I know you can never be 100% sure, but do you think that would be enough time to be "out of the water" pretty much?

since it's not someone my sister and I live with, and none of our other family members have been over there, and my sister herself hasn't been over there since well before they were sick and she's been fine? ....I've been in that wonderful situation before where a family member in my home gets it and one of us has gotten it even 4 or 5 days later, but I figure it's more likely to happen that wayin the same house, since you're constatly exposed to the person and any contamination that's around. do you think that's probably true, that it might be more likely to happen several days later when it's in your home rather than outside when you haven't had ANY exposure at all to the other people/place?

even as I write this, I feel I'm being so insanely paranoid, but I have to remember you guys all know how this feels thanks so much for the help.

bump

sorry, still freaking a little

You will be in the clear on Thursday Jan 13th.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are afraid to be around
    people who are sick. If your not kissing them or putting your
    hands in your mouth how are you going to get the bug? and
    I doubt anyone is rude enough to sneeze right in your face.
    Is there something I don't know? I am afraid
    to see people v and for myself to also. I'm just more causious if
    I know someones sick . Let me know what I am missing How can you
    get the bug besides what I listed?. ( I know about food poisoning
    also) You can't get it from just being in the same
    room can you?