Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Norovirus tips

Default Norovirus tips

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/1...in-Kent-County

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WZZM)- The Kent County Health Department says waiting rooms are seeing more activity than usual. There's a three percent increase in gastrointestinal cases. Many are the norovirus.

In the past week alon there were nearly 700 cases. To reduce your risk Brian Hartl, an epidemiologist with Kent County gave us five ways to avoid the virus.

First, kill the virus with bleach.

Hartl says, "The thing about the norovirus is it is hard to kill on surfaces. So you want to use a bleach based solution to kill it."

He says it's the only thing that will kill the virus. So use one third cup of bleach to a gallon of water.

Second, it seems obvious, but wash your hands.

Three, if you're sick don't cook for people. Even several days after the virus has gone away you should avoid preparing food for others. If you eat out, the virus is more easily spread through uncooked foods like salads.

Number four, use two bathrooms. One bathroom is for sick family members, and the other is for people who are still well.

Number five, clean everywhere, not just obvious places because the germs can spread even to walls and tile after someone vomits because the virus becomes airborne.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Norovirus tips

yup, this is one of the headlines i read tonight that freaked me out. the virus is hitting grand rapids and west michigan hard. and the sad part is im in grand rapids.

gum are you from west michigan? now im really concerned!

It's ok fixxer...the people catching it are the ones not following the tips Gum listed above. Just do that, and you'll be ok. There is always norovirus around. It only hits the news on slow news days.

Doug, thanks for this. I just posted on another thread about Clorox hand sanitizers. Clorox is trying to sell you something, whereas this epidemiologist is not. Clorox should just stick to its main product - good ol' bleach!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

All good tips! Thanks for the advice. I have some bleach but have added it to my shopping list just in case!

Im really getting worried about this. I saw this on the news today. I live in Plainwell Michigan. So Fixxer, you should know where that is. I saw it and freaked out. Cause my mom had the virus this weekend. And she didnt clean anything with bleach. And she cooked for us yesturday. I dont know what to do =[ Im 30 min away from GR but i know alot of people who have the bug right now. BUT i havent been leaving my house but only to go to therapists. What should i do =[

I live in the CA bay area and today on the news they said that two other nursing homes in san rafel and marin(?) Were quarentined due to a noro outbreak. Luckily its only been in nursing homes but i really wish people would be more concious about their hygeine .