Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've been feeling really unwell for 6 days now

Christmas is always bad and I started feeling ill on Boxing Day - I become so obsessed with being sick that I feel actively nauseaus. I felt rough for about five days, when I gradually felt better. Last week was OK but this Monday I woke up feeling sick.

I managed to carry on just by eating jacket potatoes and toast, andWednesday my Mum and sister came for tea and we had a roast dinner. Because I ate more than I had all week I really worried about throwing it up and thus began to feel very sick. I went to bed around 11.00pm and slept until 3.00am - DS woke me and the two boys were then up and down all night for various reasons.

I felt so bad in the night I actually "tried" to be sick but couldn't.

DH took the boys to school, I had a bath and took 8mg of Valium (which I was given to help me go on the plane for our hols last year). I went back to bed and slept for a couple of hours. I have tried two types of anti-sickness pills as well as Pepto-Bismol but because it's "all in my mind" nothing works.

I felt so edgy and unable to relax (as well as still nauseaus) - I know that the nausea is driven by my mind and I am terrified it will last forever. If someone said they could swap my right arm for me never feeling sick again I would agree to it. I am also worried about scary thoughts I have been having about not being able to cope if this lasts and ending it. I have never had thoughts like that and I am terrified it means I am suicidal.

I am just on this downward spiral of nausea-anxiety-nausea and I can't stop it. I hope I will just gradually start to feel more normal like I did a couple of weeks ago - but I wasn't as mentally low as I am now.

I went to see my GP yesterday andwas in a right state crying and pleading in the doctors and she was very strict. She told me to calm down - I couldn't get a grip and she said she couldn't help me.

Anyway, I finally calmed down and basically she says I have had these crises before and I have got to try hard to get control of it. She hasn't given me any different tablets, just the same anti-sickness (domperidone) but she says I have to believe they are going to work.

She says I'm not to sit about and dwell on it (which is all i feel like doing). She says I have to get control.

I have an appointment with a new psychiatrist on the 25th.

It's like having a devil and an angel on your shoulder - the angel is saying "Don't let this beat you - fight it, control it" and then just as I feel bouyed by that the devil whispers "Yeah, but you'll feel bad again in 1/2 an hour, you're not controlling this at all"......

Last night I came up with the theory that it's not the feeling of nausea I have to fight but the way I FEEL about the nausea. It helped me feel much better and by late last night I actually felt hungry for the first time in days.

I woke this morning for the first time since Monday and didn't feel sick, just very fragile. DH let me sleep in and I felt a bit better, I got up and ate some scrambled eggs and toast. Unfortunately, I then started panicking and began to feel nauseus again. It's been a very difficult depressing day.

I have been in tears and DH & I had a talk. Basically, I am terrified the nausea will never stop, but DH pointed out that if I just stop panicking about it, it will stop. I hold the key to it.

It's just the thought of each long day drawn out in front of me trying to be falsely positive in a bid to start *really* feeling positive that depresses me so much.

But if I stop panicking it will stop!! If I stop panicking it will stop!! If I stop
    Sarah :0)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yes, if you stop panicking it will help the nausea..but do you need help to stop the panicking? it's hard to do it alone. have you taken anything like paxil, prozac, celexa, etc? Or are you just on anti-nausea pills? I think a medication might help you, not only for your anxiety but for your feelings of depression. I've felt a lot of comfort from taking prozac, myself. I'm glad you're seeing a new psychiatrist. It is important to keep looking until you find the person who really makes you feel safe and gives you hope for the progress the two of you can make. So I am very excited you're trying a new psychiatrist, and remember, if the new one isn't what you're looking for, KEEP ON LOOKING. he/she is out there. I will be thinking of you.

Do what your heart tells you to-- even when your fears tell you not to.

You are alive....so live.

Awwwww, gosh....you must find a way to ease your anxiety!! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I know you have heard this before, but you must tell yourself "I AM NOT SICK, MY MIND IS PLAYING WITH ME!"

Emetaphobia is very irrational, and you need to keep telling yourself that.

Today, I went out to eat with a friend (man was that ever out of my normal "comfort zone") and we talked for a while, and after I ate, I looked around at all of the people in the restaurant, wondering about all of the viruses that people may have, and I started to get that anxiety n**. I stopped it in it's tracks though...I told myself, "you knew this would happen, for it does anytime you go out of your comfort zone". I took a few breaths, and sent my mind back into mine and my friends conversation, and that was the end of that anxiety. I "nipped it in the bud" so to speak.

I know this sounds very hard, but you must keep reminding yourself, that you are not sick, and you are only making yourself feel that way, by believing your that way....get MAD at it...it is winning!!

Relax, read a good book, watch a movie...and always remember, if you do v...you won't die, and you will have accomplished so much! Enjoy yourself...don't let this monster win!!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Charlotte
    Spring is here!