Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What term makes you feel most panicked

I know this may be a touchy subject to some, but is there any particular term of vomiting that makes you more uneasy than any other? For me its the "p" word.

Default Re: What term makes you feel most panicked

same here!

ditto. Hate that word.

it's the worst! it just sounds the grossest!

i hate them all
    my friend used to refer to it as "playing the fiddle" so that nobody would say any of the words, since it triggered my anxiety

I'm so used to the p word that it doesn't bother me the most. The b word bothers me more.
    *SEMI GRAPHIC highlight to read*
    The phrase "blowing chunks" bothers me the absolute most though.

ah! jd- i agree, that is THE WORST!

I know! It makes my skin crawl and stomach turn just typing it.

Keep in mind the slangier it is, the more likely it is to be caused by alcohol. So someone who says they just blew chunks is apt to be drunk, while someone who said they just threw up is more likely to have something contagious. So someone saying "threw up" (past tense) stirs me up more than something youthful sounding like "blew chow" or "did the technicolor yawn."

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think the v word scares me the most...it sounds less scary when you trivialise it.

The phrase "worshipping at the porcelain altar" and "hurl" bother me most.

Interesting...yeah the BC one is kind of vile as well lol...I didn't think of that one....the word v* doesn't bother me as much probably because I work in a medical office and hear the word here and there, but throwing or threw up really stir me up sometimes too.

It's the p word for me also.

My housemates use such an array of different terms for sick, mainly alcohol related like chunder vom etc. Puke doesn't really get used in England.

The term that scares me the most is 'violently sick'. It just sounds like confirmation that is bad, to describe an illness like noro as making you violently throw up just conjures up the most horrific images. I think it gets thrown around a bit though, last time I was sick my mum described it as violent but it hadn't crossed my mind that it was worse than normal

"barfed" terrifies me most i think

Louise - I agree, I hate it when people describe it as violent, it brings up images of it actually causing lasting damage. And yeah, I feel like it's become a popular exaggeration just like misusing the word "literally."

I don't like barf, violently ill/sick, throw up, or the phrases 'feel like I'm going to be sick/I don't feel good'

I hate anything that reminds me of "IT"!

I just thought of a new one - projectile. Someone used that the other day, and I notice papers here sometimes report noro symptoms as including 'projectile vomiting'.

It conjures up the worst possible images, I'm sure I've never projectile vomited though, or ever witnessed it, it feels like a scaremongering word more than anything

O ya Louise, that doesn't sound friendly at all!!! Yeah it doesn't paint a pretty picture (not that any of this does lol)

***COULD BE GRAPHIC***

the word projectile freaks me out too... i quit soccer,one of the reasons being that someone told me "they work you SO hard in high school soccer; once the coach pushed someone so hard she projectile v*d all over the field!"

now THAT freaked me out.

T*U* is my least favorite. I think my emet started because my younger sister would make SUCH a scene every time she got s* (which was fairly often due to lack of good hygiene) and start crying and running around panicking telling everybody "I think I'm gonna t*u*"...oh my lord, still terrifying.

When I talk about it myself I usually use p* because it is the least triggering for me.

i don't think any term sets me off, neither does seeing it on tv, movies or youtube. the only trigger for me is with my kids or in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdpillow View Post
    I'm so used to the p word that it doesn't bother me the most. The b word bothers me more.
    *SEMI GRAPHIC highlight to read*
    The phrase "blowing chunks" bothers me the absolute most though.
    I agree. BC is absolutely the most disgusting phrase ever. The others (if it is just the words themselves) don't really bother me.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

BC and projectile v* are definitely frightening for me. When I was younger, my mom understood my fear and taught me to just say n* instead. That word doesn't bother me as much as words that describe the actual action as opposed to the feeling.

A few years ago I would've said the v* word for sure but I've been working on desensitising myself and it's not quite so scary any more. The descriptive terms like "violently" ill or "projectile" are the ones that make me shudder.

I have a favourite though - my old housemate uses the same term for everything from sick to hungover to having the sniffles...! It never sounded quite so scary when she says "i'm feeling poorly"...

Every single word that can be associated to anything that has to do with any of it. I swear I have hypersensitive neurons that are just waiting for someone to say something so that my body can go into panic mode.

My mother doesn't seem to understand, either. It's so frustrating. She knows I have this problem, and even when I asked her not to tell me no matter what, she still insists on telling me, "Hey, I just t*u*, just so you know. Yeah. In the bathroom. Next to your room. The place that you have to walk by when you exit your room. I did that in there. So have fun, crazy. Have fun trying to rationalize peeing in a cup so that you don't have to go to the bathroom where I just did that. Bye."