Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs up Share your coping methods!

Hey all!

I hope you are all doing fine. I have been having trouble with my emet and anxiety lately and I would love to hear how all of you cope through tough times and anxiety attacks.

I look forward to hearing your ways

God bless,

Sarah ♥

Default Re: Share your coping methods!

Hi Sarah,

Sorry you're having a tough time. I'm really finding exercise and being outside works wonders for my emet and anxiety. Spent the morning mucking out horses and then went for a long cycle today and I didn't think about feeling ill or panicky once. (though all my muscles hurt now!) If it's raining or dark out and I'm panicking I like online games that you actually have to concentrate on - usually that distracts me enough to feel better. If not, I find a relaxation/ breathing cd is a good way to chill me out

Relaxation CDs are really helpful. Especially if you listen to one every day (even on days you are calm), because then that state of relaxation will get ingrained in you like a memory that you can easily access when you're feeling anxious.

Also distracting yourself with any fun no-pressure activity, like a word search or writing a letter/email to someone. Or looking at funny websites. Do you know "damn you autocorrect"? I always google those and look at them when I am feeling really bad. They never fail to get me laughing. And same for "hyperbole and a half" especially this entry about her dogs (but PLEASE NOTE there is a cartoon picture of a dog v* on this link in case anyone would find that triggering): http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-concepts.html

I just wrote a blog entry with an A-Z list of coping techniques too: http://lilandbody.blogspot.com/2012/...from-to-z.html
    Last edited by stoneskipper; 03-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I LOVE 'damn you autocorrect'!

I find distraction helps a lot. Calling a friend for a gossip, watching something on tv, getting on my laptop and researching something. Also, maybe try talking yourself down. Try and look at what's panicking you objectively and look at it from a non-emet point of view and try and talk your brain out of panicking. e.g. Oh my god I feel a bit sick, it must be a sv! Just try and think rationally and calmly, nope I've not been in contact with anyone who was sick; I've been here before and felt exactly this way and I was fine and I'll be fine this time too etc

Talking yourself down's a really good idea! I keep a journal every night now and I write down when I'm feeling off then the next day when nothing's come of it and I've been fine I write that down too. Give's me written proof to look back on when I'm panicking so I can read over it and think look at all the times I was perfectly ok.

Im naturally a high tense person, but recently playing a video game on my phone helps, that and deep breathing. Like I mean go outside and really get a deep breath of air.
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.