Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dopamine, Serotonin and 5HT3 antagonists are most effective for treatment of gastro

If anybody is interested, I recently read an academic article in American Family Medicine about the efficacy of various anti-emetics in the treatment of gastro and Norwalk-like viruses (NLV)

Here is the link: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0301/p1169.html

"Intestinal irritation is a frequent cause of nausea. Agents such as Norwalk virus, rotavirus, and Salmonella species cause 1.2 intestinal infections per person per year.14 Medications such as aspirin and ferrous sulfate can cause nausea through visceral stimulation. Because visceral fibers are mediated primarily by serotonin, 5-HT3 antagonists are effective in the treatment of these disorders.14 Anecdotal reports also indicate significant success for treatment with dopamine antagonists, which may be more cost-effective first-line agents than serotonin antagonists."

Dopamine antagonist anti-emetics would be Reglan, Zofran, Compazine. Zofran is also a 5ht3 antagonist, but the cost for 5ht3 anti-emetics range from "$17-195 per pill." Reglan is a serotonin antagonist.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Dopamine, Serotonin and 5HT3 antagonists are most effective for treatment of gast

Goddamn...people who don't have insurance coverage for anti-emetics are royally screwed with those prices
    interesting article nonetheless, thanks for posting!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Default Re: Dopamine, Serotonin and 5HT3 antagonists are most effective for treatment of gast

Yep. Antihistamines (Benadryl, Dramamine, etc) aren't going to be nearly as effective for gastroenteritis because the chemical mechanisms involved in vomiting related to a stomach virus are different from the mechanisms involved in vomiting or nausea due to motion sickness.

Also: hahaha! I posted a link to this article a few weeks ago, don't remember when.

What about Phenergan - is it effective against stomach viruses?

Interesting article, thanks for that

@tigerlili Yes although not as much as Zofran etc. Phenergan has a dopamine- antagonistic effect about 1/10 as strong as Zofraan IIRC. My dad is a gi and said people don't really know why but it does work somewhat for sv.

Thank you - really interesting to know. I am glad to know that Phenergan has some efficacy (if that's the right word) against sv*s; it's available over-the-counter here (and is marketed as a travel tablet, so I do believe it's effective against motion sickness as well, acting on the H1 receptors, is it?). Metoclopramide also is a dopamine-antagonistic one I think?

I dont`t suppose I can get these drugs over the counter?