Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Not having the ability to burp?!

Hey guys,
    I keep meaning to write this post because I'd like to know if any other emets have the same weird problem!
    Basically, as the title says, I can't burp!
    My mum told me I could never be burke as a baby so she had to be extra careful etc...
    But does this mean I can v*?! I've only come very close to v* twice, but when my body wanted to, my throat wouldn't do anything!!!
    I heaved heavily and just choked on air :S so confusing! I'm just wondering of anyone else out there physically CAN'T burp!?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Not having the ability to burp?!

Sorry! Silly iPhone auto correct!
    That was meant to say "my mum said he could never burp me as a baby"

*SHE!!!! My mum is definitely a women :P

I very rarely, if ever burp. I think it's something my body automatically tries to avoid as I associate it with vomiting.
    "Hold your breath, count to 10. Fall apart and start again."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think if you were unable to burp as a baby, then chances are you have an extremely strong or tight lower esophagus sphincter- the one at the top of your stomach that opens to allow food in and gas out. It would be extremely hard if not impossible for you to vomit- have you ever vomited at all as a baby?

I personally do not remember v*ing as a child, ever. I remember being forced to stay upstairs in the bathroom all day once when I complained of a sore stomach, but never sick. That was always my greedy brother that did the v*ing! As a baby my mum told me I was never a 'sicky' baby, like I never threw up my milk etc.

i'm not a burper either......neither are my sisters....and they are non emets
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is that a choice or can you physically not do it??
    Like I have to steer clear of anything fizzy because it makes my stomach massively bloated where all the trapped gas has gotten stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyDavies View Post
    Hey guys,
    I keep meaning to write this post because I'd like to know if any other emets have the same weird problem!
    Basically, as the title says, I can't burp!
    My mum told me I could never be burke as a baby so she had to be extra careful etc...
    But does this mean I can v*?! I've only come very close to v* twice, but when my body wanted to, my throat wouldn't do anything!!!
    I heaved heavily and just choked on air :S so confusing! I'm just wondering of anyone else out there physically CAN'T burp!?
    Thanks!
    I read somewhere that there is an operation some people need to get for severe GERD and one of the potential side effects is losing the ability to burp or v*, potentially causing some severe gas pains etc, so, there is a chance that it may be difficult for you to v* if you are unable to burp due to a similar condition. No way to know for sure though.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Ah that sounds a little scary ! I hate doctors and hospitals! I've never had an operation before either
    i hope it's nothing too bad, it's just a strange thing I've always had!!

I can rarely burp, and if I do it's the most pathetic thing anyway, barely there. It's funny being a guy and not being able to burp. I did get sick a few times as a kid though, so I don't know if the two are related.

I don't burp either. I 'gurgle', where I let extra air in my stomach out. When I usually burp, it is because i am v*ing. what I think is sad is that I can count on one hand how many times i have burped that i can remember...

I don't burp either. I gurgle air up my esophagus as airfobrat is describing if I do get a gassy stomach. The problem is that every time I do have a gassy stomach I worry that I am sick (like right now) so I feel that if I was able to burp, I would be able to get the air out before my anxiety took over.

Mines a little different to that, I actually CAN'T burp :P
    however hard I try, something wont allow me to pass any gas out the top. I just find it so strange!

There was a post on here recently about this topic!

I do not burp either, and I get it from my mum. My sisters burp like normal! I can only remember burping twice. Once on an escalator in a department store, and once up the dinner table and they were tiny little burps but embarassing as I didn't know it was about to happen! I don't know what I was like when I was a baby mind you.

Do you get 'frog noises' instead, as I like to call them? They're gurgles that happen in the throat/chest which I personally think is my body's attempt at trying to burp as I get it after eating or drinking fizzy. They're EXTREMELY uncomfortable!

YES! That's exactly what I get!
    It is very uncomfortable, but I've gotten so used to it
    the frog noises do make a good conversation starter sometimes though hahah!

I can burp, I actually enjoy it, usually. I use it to calm myself. "You're feeling sick cause you're gassy, that's all"
    I don't force burps though, I'm scared I'll make myself gag. The only times I have tried to force it, is when I feel I need to burp and it is becoming uncomfortable.

It seems a little strange to think of someone not being able to burp. But if you've been that way since birth, I don't think it's something to worry about, unless it is causing discomfort.