Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Can you throw up from antidepressants days/weeks after being on them?

My psychiatrist said some drugs make you vomit right away (like with the first dose) if you're going to, and he said some take time building up before they make you throw up (again, if you're going to). Is this true? Does anyone here have any experience with that?

Default Re: Can you throw up from antidepressants days/weeks after being on them?

I never threw up with my antidepressants at all. I felt really horrible, but I never vomited. I'd take what your doctor said as truth, that sounds accurate. My mother threw up I think after three days of taking hers, and a friend of mine about five hours. I think it depends on the drug and the person taking it.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Can you throw up from antidepressants days/weeks after being on them?

I second everything Kaydee said. I was very much close to vomiting the first week on my sertraline. I also got nauseous every time the dosage was increased. Ah fun times lol Anyways, everyone is different!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

I was afraid of that! I got really nauseous with my first dose of Prozac and he said that was one of the "build-up-in-your-system-then-throw-up-later" drugs which made me think HOW CAN I KEEP TAKING THIS?!

does anyone know which drugs are the fast-acting v* ones and which are the build-up ones?

There's unfortunately no way to tell. Everyone reacts differently. I guess it also depends on how strong your stomach is.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

I have tried a few different brands of anti-depressants in my lifetime before sticking with Zoloft. My problem with the first two were that it made me nauseous and I didn't want to stay on them because of that. But I never v*ed on them.

I hae never thrown up from anti-deppressants. BUT, I only would try them a week. I always say to myself "I don't need them." I take anti-anxiety medication (Xanax) which does not have nausea as a side effect I love it. I guess the anti-depressant that made me less nauseated than any other would be Lexapro.

I Never had a problem before with mine (citalopram 20mg) But today my GP Gave me 50mg of cyclzine which PREVENT NAUSEA V* AND ANXIETY Tell you what i've had them before and they were beauties I'm happy that i wont v* with My Anti ds when i have these

I tried paxil 3 times.....the first I v* after about 6 hours, the second Time I had no n* or v* so I thought time one was a fluke and stayed on for years, the third time I was n* every day for a week, upped my dose on day 7 and v* the following morning. I also triedlexapro but was so n* I stopped fairly quickly, did not v* though. Not sure I will ever be brave enough to try again, but I admit I felt much better on the paxil the time it worked.

I've had some tummy upset with Prozac, Citalopram, and Setraline.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

your psychiatrist doesn't sound very understanding of your phobia.