Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: roomates sick!

Exclamation roomates sick!

So I woke up okay today until my roommate came back early from her class saying she felt like v* so she came back instead of going to her next class because she'd never made it through without v*. I immediately left the room to go to my class but now I'm terrified to go back. Whenever I get this upset I usually stop eating and sleeping, so it looks like I'm in for a rough couple of day, not to mention finals are starting so it's impossible for me to miss those. I don't even know what to do. I've been crying since I left that class. It makes me feel like such a baby. She said she thinks it's not a bug, but you know this emetophobic brain won't even consider that a possibity. As far as it's concerned, I'm screwed
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Default Re: roomates sick!

Sorry that your roommate is sick Anyway, just wash your hands, and do not put your dirty hands inside of your mouth. With that said you should be fine!
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks replying. I always wash my hands at least. But I live in a college dorm so the space is more enclosed than I like :/ without seperate rooms I'm probably just gonna hang out in the lounge all night.

Has she definitely been sick? It might not necessarily be a sv, but i'd be taking extra precautions if I were you! You should be perfectly safe to sleep in the same room as her just as long as she isn't sick in that room. It depends how close the bathroom is, if you'll be able to hear her etc it'd not be nice for you at all. Keep up the hygiene and keep your distance best you can (I know that sounds a bit mean towards this poor sick girl!) but try not to worry, you'll likely be fine

She hasn't v* that I knoww of, but the last time I saw her was like noon and it's almost 7 now. Yea, it's a pretty small room and the bathroom is def. Close enough for me to hear her. If she feels better and hasn't v* I might try to stay but if she has, I'm def out in the lounge. I have an auto-immune disease as well so I really cannot afford to get s* :/

I've been in very similar situations, you've probably already done all of this but here are some things that helped me:
    - Find out for sure if she's been sick or not. For me, knowing that she has is almost better than not knowing at all.
    - This may sound bad, but don't eat and drink only water. It helps me knowing my stomach is empty.
    - If you end up sleeping there, listen to music very LOUD as you're trying to fall asleep...Sometimes even hearing movement can make your mind race, "Is she getting up to go to the bathroom?" Cover yourself completely with your covers and place a clean shirt, stuffed animal or any comforting in front of your face and breathe through that.
    - If you trust her, make sure she knows about your phobia. Ask her to keep you informed without getting into descriptions. Let her know how serious it is to you and ask her to consider taking gravol or anti-nausea but don't try and pressure her. This actually helped me way more than I thought it would.
    - Keep reminding yourself that no matter what, it will be over *soon* and everything will be OK - you will get through it just like you've gotten through everything else.

This is probably all stuff you're doing already but I hoped I helped even a tiny bit. =(

Thanks, you did I always have one stuffed stuffed animal that makes me feel better, even if he is kind of old and getting dirty. I never eat when I know someone's s* though lol. It kind of helps to know at least there's nothing in there to tu*.

You can throw up if you haven't eaten anything, and it's even worse. You can still dry heave as well, which is horrible. I'd eat bland foods or stick to the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and toast. Keep your hands clean and away from your face and you should be able to avoid it.
    Last edited by KaydeeJayde; 04-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Come visit my history blog:

Did you find out if your roommate is actually sick?

Yeah unfortunately Kaydee is right. That seems to be a popular misconception among some members here--that you can't vomit if you don't eat. You most definitely can. The best thing to do to ensure that your chances are low of catching whatever it is your roommate has (if she is contagious) is practicing good hygiene habits. I am sure you will be fine!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

@Kaydee
    I don't think that can happen with water, it would hardly be worse than if you were just nibbling on some crackers and rice. At this point she doesn't even know if her room-mate is even ill. I've been in this kind of situation a few too many times and (thank goodness) I never fell ill myself...Despite never catching anything, it's definitely one of the worst feelings, especially in the middle of exams. What she's struggling with is anxiety, not actually being ill. Keeping an empty stomach in this kind of situation helps me reduce anxiety, I do make sure I'm sipping water though.

@ Deadxx
    I don't think it's a misconception, I think nearly everyone on this forum is aware of that fact...But she is not sick! I think she was looking for people to help with her anxiety, not advice on what to do if she was sick. Keeping an empty stomach is something I think helps a lot of people with this phobia reduce anxiety, rational or not I personally can't help it. If we all thought 100% rationally none of us would have this fear.

I prefaced my original post with this... those tips are simply things that have helped ME reduce *anxiety* in those situations. If I was in that situation and someone told me to eat cause if I don't when it happens it's gonna really suck I would have even worse anxiety. She's not even sick.

Sorry if this seemed rambly or angry, I'm just tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Erinkimiko View Post
    @Kaydee
    I don't think that can happen with water, it would hardly be worse than if you were just nibbling on some crackers and rice. At this point she doesn't even know if her room-mate is even ill. I've been in this kind of situation a few too many times and (thank goodness) I never fell ill myself...Despite never catching anything, it's definitely one of the worst feelings, especially in the middle of exams. What she's struggling with is anxiety, not actually being ill. Keeping an empty stomach in this kind of situation helps me reduce anxiety, I do make sure I'm sipping water though.

@ Deadxx
    I don't think it's a misconception, I think nearly everyone on this forum is aware of that fact...But she is not sick! I think she was looking for people to help with her anxiety, not advice on what to do if she was sick. Keeping an empty stomach is something I think helps a lot of people with this phobia reduce anxiety, rational or not I personally can't help it. If we all thought 100% rationally none of us would have this fear.

I prefaced my original post with this... those tips are simply things that have helped ME reduce *anxiety* in those situations. If I was in that situation and someone told me to eat cause if I don't when it happens it's gonna really suck I would have even worse anxiety. She's not even sick.

Sorry if this seemed rambly or angry, I'm just tired.

I get that but eating and ensuring that you are properly nourished is the way to go in regards to fighting off viruses. The point is, said behavior is not rational and it should be replaced with something more productive. I admit I don't always think and act rationally but my goal is to overcome the anxiety in a healthy manner. No need to apologize we coo
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I get that but eating and ensuring that you are properly nourished is the way to go in regards to fighting off viruses. The point is, said behavior is not rational and it should be replaced with something more productive. I admit I don't always think and act rationally but my goal is to overcome the anxiety in a healthy manner. No need to apologize we coo
    Totally agree...eating especially eating healthy ensures a healthier immune system and with a healthy immune system comes a overall healthy state of mind. Not to mention not eating can cause one to feel sick which would increase the anxiety even more. If you do have a nervous stomach stick to bland but healthy things..green apples are great for the stomach, green tea, whole wheat crackers with peanut/almond butter. Hope everything is alright and your roommate was never suck!

My mother's a nurse and I've just asked her about this. She said that not eating is going to make both your chances of getting the bug worse because your resistance will be down, and the anxiety. When you're hungry, you often feel nauseated which, at this point, I think she'd mistake for having caught the bug, therefore increasing her anxiety. I really also second the green tea suggestion. It's excellent for hydrating and also for calming, at least for me
    Come visit my history blog:

So agree with alot of comments unfortunately your rational mind does seem to go out of the window I know that I always think right if I do not eat I cannot be S*but guess what that is irrational as comments above are right dry heaving would not be fun but I am sure that you will be fine I find that people giving me advice regarding the prevention helps my anxiety go down and the more rational part of the brain work ( I do have one every now and then LOL) but we all think very irrationally with this

I would eat healthy but I'm like the pickest eater ever. I used to refuse dinner as a kid if it was something I didn't like. I don't like green tea at all. It makes me gag a bit, but I also don't like apples, or most fruits and veggies unfortunely. I have to take a lot of vitamin supplements just to ensure I have even close to the right amount in me.