Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Red face I feel so much better !! I wasn't afraid !! (somewhat graphic)

So the other night I woke up at about 5am and didn't feel so well, I kept using the bathroom but nothing unusual. I knew something was off with my stomach but I let myself fall back asleep because I put it off as nervousness (earlier that day my friend told me she had the s.v. over spring break). I woke up at 6am again and went to the bathroom and for some reason I was so oddly calm, I used the bathroom, then stood up and knew it was going to happen, I v****ed! Now, usually when I feel sick I have a full blown panic attack : shaking, crying, not knowing where I am, shallow breathing, etc. However this time I was just so calm. As it was happening it was unpleasant, I won't lie, but you feel so much better afterwards and it goes by SO quickly. After it was over I felt proud of myself, and I was shaking a bit from being nervous but nothing compared to what it used to be. I did call my mom in, even though I'm now 20, and she helped me calm down. I went back to lay in bed and a few hours later I v****ed again, my biggest fear the s.v. was finally happening. However, my biggest fear or being completely uncontrollably nervous during this sickness wasn't happening! I stayed calm and stayed in bed the rest of the day and just drank a lot of ginger ale, and thankfully that was the end of it, I only got sick twice.

I used to be so terrified of getting sick, I thought about it all the time and whenever I got a stomach ache I would be overcome with anxiety. The fact that I stayed calm was such a big triumph and I'm so happy!

What I want everyone here to know (and I know it's hard to believe) is that ITS NOT THAT BAD! The worst part is the anticipation, once it happens you will realize that there is nothing to be afraid of, everything will be alright!

Good luck to everyone <3

Default Re: I feel so much better !! I wasn't afraid !! (somewhat graphic)

That's great! Really happy for you. Was that the first time you have ever had the stomach virus? Or not since you were little? So happy you made it through

Great to hear you got through it. Congrats!

I think the time of day helped too on why you were so calm. It's so much worse when it's smack in the middle of the night and it's dead quiet too.

Glad you are feeling better.

Erica, you are definitely right about that the middle of the night is very scary! I even remember when I woke up it was still dark and it made me a bit nervous but once it got lighter out I was like hmm okay. But at least now it has finally happened !

Ann, thank you! And yes I've had it before and much worse too. I just can't remember when the last time was, maybe back in middle school and I am in my junior year of college now.

Well done! My gosh, you are extremely brave! Congratulations for keeping calm, and better still moving past it! xXx

Do you know why you were so calm? Why this time was different? Have you been doing therapy? Maybe your answer can help the rest of us stay calm too next time we feel sick.

that sounds so scary, you are so great for getting through that! :O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This sounds abit like, me, i am 38 year old, I haven't been sick since I was 4, and I actually threw up for the first time on Friday, in 34 years, Like you I didn't panick, it wasn't a great feeling, and once you done it, you do feel better, I agree, my emetophobia isn't cured, but i got better understanding in what it feels like to throw up, so i think, it very small steps, but on my way to getting better

Congrats on accomplishing something so major!

Congrats, I can only hope that when I do v*, I have a positive experience like you.

Congrats! That is awesome - and I'm glad you got through it! I hope it gives everyone else hope that they can manage it too.