Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question UK: hand wash / wipes

So, talk of stomach bugs are going around and I'm also heading off on a long railway trip up north on Friday. What antibacterial/viral washes or wipes are there for sale in the UK that are effective against norovirus? Preferably available to buy in a shop rather than online!

Also: mobile phones. I wash my hands a lot, I'm very careful, but I do worry that my phone is a hive of disease...! Any antibac wipes out there that are safe for use on phones too?

Thank you

Default Re: UK: hand wash / wipes

I order mine online from America but since finding out the concentration of Benzalconium Chloride (sp?) needed is 0.013% not 0.13% I'm pretty sure the anti viral foam sanitizer in boots works I've also heard good things about wet ones wipes although I've not seen any studies or anything proving it.

I coat my phone in foam sanitizer daily and so far it's still working fine (after a year), I'm sure that's probably not good for it though so if Wet Ones wipes do work that would probably be better... but foam is fine in a pinch Hope you have a good trip!
    'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'

I'm in the UK and do not get the average anti bacterial cheap hand gel as it doesn't protect against noror. I buy the boots advanced viral hand foam, it's protects against bacteria AND VIRUS, it costs about £5 but it is well worth it.

Mentholatum Response Beta anti-viral hand spray from Boots

I've looked for that in Boots before and never found it. I've just given up, i'm too forgetful to use them. They've got toilets on trains so you can just go wash your hands. Tbh I always put it down as good for my emet if i'm stuck in a situation with no way of obsessively cleansing my hands!

That's a good point about your mobile...but I handle my mobile/ipod all the time and have no had a stomach bug in absolute years so probably quite a low risk. I don't know anyone that isn't constant handling a phone whilst being out in public.

I can never find ResponseBeta in boots either, I ordered online for a while until the online shop shut down. It was quite soapy anyway and not the best....

The anti viral one (Not boots basics but the advanced one) seems to have the right ingredients. I'm still coming to terms with trusting anything less than 0.13% but from what people have told me it works so worth picking up a couple of bottles. x
    'The darkest hour is just before the dawn'

Great! Thanks for your help. I've had that anti-viral stuff from boots before, it's pretty great but it once leaked all over my bag just after I'd bought it, £4 down the drain!

I'm not an obsessive hand washer myself, but if I'm going away I get more nervous about getting ill and ruining my break! And as for train toilets... ughhhhh I do my best to not touch ANYTHING once in there! Worse than public toilets in my experience!