Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Where would I get treatment and how much?

I have Coeliac disease, and basically one of the symptoms is nausea. And I now have the fear ever day...
    I was looking into treatment, but what kind of treatment am I looking for? And also how much will it cost? I live in the North East England if that helps anything. What happens in the treatment?

Default Re: Where would I get treatment and how much?

Depending on whether you're looking for treatment of the Coeliac's or the anxiety.

Anxiety treatment, I don't know about cost where you are, but for me it was fairly expensive but mostly covered by insurance. Where to go, I needed a referral from my GP. They'll talk to you and find someone suitable for you. As for what happens, it depends on the kind of treatment you go for. I got counselling which was purely just talking about things. It didn't help me much, but its helped some people I know with phobias. The one that worked most for me was CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) which was talking as well as learning about techniques to combat the anxiety as well as ways to change your thinking. I also did hypnotherapy which didn't do much for me either, it was mostly just relaxation exercises, which was nice, but didn't do much for my long term anxiety, but I know it has worked for a lot of people to. It's all about finding something that does work for you, as well as a therapist that you connect with.

I hope this has been helpful. Again, I don't know about where you live, but that's how things were with me, in Australia.

Good luck
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hello,
    I have Celiac disease which causes me nausea. I was undiagnosed for 16 years. The only "treatment" for Celiac disease is to not come in contact with gluten. Even the slightest contact can cause symtpoms for some people. For me I only feel nauseated if I ingest gluten but I do try to avoid contact with it in other forms (Shampoo, lotions, makeup, etc.). My doctor gives me promethazine to help with the nausea; however after eliminating gluten from my diet I still get nauseated due to anxiety but I don't have stomach aches, or reflux as often. Whatever you do don't stress about it when first starting a gluten free diet. I found that stress amplifies my symptoms. I made the mistake of giving up all things gluten immediately and I failed at the diet just as quickly as I started it. Start slow if you can by cutting out breads and pastas for a little bit and then move on to other items that have gluten in them. It does get easier. Eventually it just becomes a part of your life. I occasionally cheat, especially when eating out, but I don't get terribly sick. I usually just get a little nauseated but feel better after a few hours.

As for treatment for the emetophobia, I saw a psychologist for about a year and did CBT, it did help a little but I lost my insurance just as I was getting to a point where it was helping so I wasn't able to continue. I do feel it was the closest I've ever become to getting a hold on my fears.

im in uk.hertfordshire.emet treatment here is free! cbt is.hypnosis you have to pay for.asked your gp to put you into cbt.then he writes to a company near by.you wait and you get a letter from them asking you to ring.you have to have a small assesment on phone then they make you an appointment.i waited about 3 weeks.my therapist is based at my gps when i have to see her.so they make it at your local doc surgery.