Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Augmentin

Default Augmentin

Hi everyone, so I'm having a massive dilemma. I think I have a UTI and I was prescribed some antibiotics for one about a month ago which I was too scared to take. I'm wondering if maybe it just stayed dormant for a bit but either way I'm feeling really crappy and am not going to have a chance to make it to the doctors until at least Thursday...

Long story short, I'm thinking of taking the full course of antibiotics I was prescribed before to knock this infection on the head. BUT I've read the booklet that comes with them and it says that a "very common side effect" is diarrhoea and a "common side effect" is v*. I'm terrified of having either, as I pretty much associate the former with the latter and I hate the idea that I might get s* from this.

I'm sorry if this is a bit TMI for some people so I apologise but I'm panicking and I want to get better...so what advice or reassurance can anyone give me. The drug is called Augmentin and is a combo of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance

x

Default Re: Augmentin

I have taken Augmentin dozens of times and I've never been ill from it! If you're nervous, take it with some food to help make sure it doesn't make your tummy feel funny, but I'm sure you'll be fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have taken Augmentin, too, and have never vomited from it. I always make sure to eat something like 1/2 a bagel or some crackers with it & am fine

I took it a while back and did have some stomach ache feelings and loose stools, but no V*. You definitely need to take it with food, preferably a meal.

Yes, Ive taken it so many times without any bad effects. Just make sure to take it with a decent amount of food.

I was on Augmentin twice a day for 7 days. I thought I would have diarrhea and cramps, headaches all the fun stuff with antibiotics but all that happened to me is about 2 hours after taking it I found myself VERY sleepy which it was bedtime anyways. Just try to take it 2 to 3 hours BEFORE bed so it won't upset you stomach while you are sleeping. Also what really helped me is drinking Dan Active yogurt so I get no diarrhea while taking it and it works well but I also was taking Culturelle (Probiotics). That AND the yogurt helped with diarrhea very well. To know more visit internationaldrugmart.com/augmentin.html

I was prescribed Augmentin for a really bad 2nd degree burn I got on my hand from touching an exhaust pipe. I'm scared to death I'll end up with V* or D* if i take it, I recently had a hemorrhoid and had blood once from it, and I don't want it to come back, but mostly I'm afraid of it making me V*, even if it just happened once. I'd love to know if it went ok with the original poster of this topic, out if any of you have had good or bad results from taking Augmentin or any more advice?

I had to take that or risk getting sceticmia (and possibly dying). so I took it despite being terrified of the v side effect.

I was fine. didn't feel any side effects. I think almost every medicine had that listed as a side effect. but I've yet to take one that its ever happened with (luckily).

I actually think emetophobia tend to not be s* with things that a non phobic person might be. just a theory.

I just took one. It was (psychologically speaking) hard for me, I was shaking a little afterward. But I'm eating now, I hope it all works out ok.

Would just like to update that I took the full course of augmentin and it didn't make me feel like I would need to V at all. I was careful to take it with a meal to be sure I had eaten enough, so i do recommend being sure to eat something with it. It did effect my digestive system for a few days but not very bad, I think taking Pro-Biotics with it or immediately after it would be a good idea, I started taking the pro-biotics after but if i had it to do over again I'd take it with the antibiotics from the beginning as long as the doctor said it was ok to. So (as usual) my fears and dealing with them for the week were much worse than any symptoms I experienced. Thanks so much Sky and to everyone who had posted to this topic earlier, it really helped

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWort View Post
    Would just like to update that I took the full course of augmentin and it didn't make me feel like I would need to V at all. I was careful to take it with a meal to be sure I had eaten enough, so i do recommend being sure to eat something with it. It did effect my digestive system for a few days but not very bad, I think taking Pro-Biotics with it or immediately after it would be a good idea, I started taking the pro-biotics after but if i had it to do over again I'd take it with the antibiotics from the beginning as long as the doctor said it was ok to. So (as usual) my fears and dealing with them for the week were much worse than any symptoms I experienced. Thanks so much Sky and to everyone who had posted to this topic earlier, it really helped
    Never take antibiotics and probiotics together! You have to space them out. At least 2 hours before or after each other. Otherwise they do no good. The antibiotic kills the probiotic if taken to close together. Probiotics are the good bacteria in your gut. Antibiotics kill the good and the bad that's why when taking antibiotics it is reccomended to take probiotics too, just not together otherwise you waste the precious probiotics and could minimize the amount of antibiotics you are actually taking.
    As for augmentin I've taken it soooooo many times for sinus infection only thing it does is give me looser stools but any d*. All medication has n, d and v as a side effect. Even zofran does.