Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default In need of advice :(

Hi everyone,

So lately all I do is seem to feel sick all the time, if I get stressed I feel sick but then I stress more resulting in me feeling sick more. Usually as the summer comes along I seem to get a bit brighter cause things like norovirus aint as bad or so they say but does anyone know how rare it is in summer? Cause I have been worrying about norovirus a lot the past couple of weeks.

I just wanna feel better and happier and just need some advice over the norovirus business and if anyone has any general tips that would be nice x

Default Re: In need of advice :(

I don't really believe that the stomach viruses go away over summer, people still get them, it's just reported on less. You can avoid it simply by keeping your hands clean, try to keep them out of your mouth as much as possible, but really, I think as an emet, it's much less likely for you to catch it, and even less likely that you'll vomit from it. Eat healthy, keep your immune system strong and you should be absolutely fine
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I don't really believe that the stomach viruses go away over summer, people still get them, it's just reported on less. You can avoid it simply by keeping your hands clean, try to keep them out of your mouth as much as possible, but really, I think as an emet, it's much less likely for you to catch it, and even less likely that you'll vomit from it. Eat healthy, keep your immune system strong and you should be absolutely fine
    I suspect it is at least a bit lower, just due to the fact that people are outside more, therefore not passing germs around in a closed inside environment as much.. Noro passes around most often in places like cruise ships, retirement homes, schools etc.. and the thing all those have in common is that people are in a contained environment, giving lots of opportunity for exposure. Summer time we tend to be outside a lot more, less contained so to speak I don't think it ever goes away, but definitely should lessen during those months!

But the last point I agree with fully.. as an emet, you have SUCH a slim chance of getting sick. We are already super careful with germs, washing hands, etc and that's what will keep you healthy! Just keep remembering, tons of people take way less care and don't get sick.. so how much better off are we!

For what it's worth, it might be worth your time to look into ways to diminish stress.. Physical activity, anti anxiety meds, yoga, these things all help our bodies cope with the stress and less stress (for me at least) means less phobic. The more stress I'm under, the greater need for control, which then kicks in the phobia to a greater extent.

Thank you both ant it's very true when I'm stressed I worry and panic a whole lot more! I just worry about eating things like packaged cold food and such or things like crisps cause you never know who has packaged it.

But I do appreciate the advice x

There are so many regulations on packaged foods in those factories. I really can't see you getting sick from them! If you stay healthy, eat well, keep hydrated, you'll be better equipped to deal with anything anxiety can throw at you!
    Come visit my history blog:

That is true and these places are checked by the hpa and stuff i do appreciate having people to talk to