Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT: Am I Over-Reacting?

In the 4 years I've lived in this building, the maintenance guy (who is useless but that's another story for another day) has entered my apartment unauthorized.

The first time, I had put in a work order for something and without the 24 hours written notice required by law, in he comes. Good thing I was home at the time. I didn't hear him knock, next thing I know there he is standing in my home! I called head office and made a verbal complaint. They apologized profusely, said they would talk to him. I let it go, chaulked it up to a misunderstanding or a mistake, we all make mistakes.

The second time, again without the required written 24 hours notice, he came into my apartment with the people who check the smoke detectors once a year. I wasn't home that time and I was FURIOUS because I can barely have maintenance people (they're all sweaty and gross) in my home when I'm there let alone when I'm not there. They hadn't given anyone in the building notice and we were all up in arms... but I let it go again.

Now today, I'm in the bathroom and there's a knock on the door. I didn't answer because I was doing my business and not expecting anyone. Just as I'm finishing up, I hear keys jingle and someone's unlocking my door. OMG, I quickly pulled up my pants, didn't even have time to wash my hands, ran to the door. Who's standing inside? The same idiot with some other guy, informing me they're here to check my stove. I put in a maitenance order last week. I told them to get out because now was not a good time and quite sternly reminded the maintenance guy that he's supposed to give me written notice and NOT come into my apartment unauthorized. The other guy tried to cover up by saying he had an "emergency notice". I said, "Yeah? Why wasn't it an emergency last week when I placed the request... let me see your emergency notice. Of course he didn't have one.

Madder than hell, I called head office and made a verbal complaint and said that if it happens a 4th time, I won't be calling them, I'll be calling the police to have them charged with breaking and entering and then I'm going to file a civil lawsuit against management and owners.

I should add that I made it very clear to management that I have OCD (they understand that but wouldn't understand emetophobia) and unless there are flames or a monsoon of water shooting out from underneath my door NOBODY is to come into my apartment WITHOUT ME PRESENT. They agreed to this when I moved in, they agreed to this the previous two times the guy came in unauthorized. But this jerk keeps coming in!

Am I over-reacting? Because of my emet, I have to super-sanitize every surface maintenace walks on, touches, breathes on lol before I can feel "safe" in my own home again. If they're here when I'm not, then I have to treat the ENTIRE apartment as if I just moved in and sanitize every surface like crazy because I have no way of knowing what they touched, where they placed their disgusting dirty tools, etc.

Oh and what if I'm in the shower and don't hear the door, walk out naked and there stand the maintenance guys? Or what if like today, I'm on the friggin toilet with the door open because I live alone, and in they walk?

Default Re: OT: Am I Over-Reacting?

I don't think you are over reacting! This same thing happened to me at my old apartment. One time I got home and my kitten was stuck outside in the pouring rain because they went into my apartment when I wasn't home without my permission. Another time I was being .... umm..... intimate with my husband when we heard keys jingling in the lock of our apartment door. My husband went into the living room and he was LIVID!! He told the guy to get the hell out.

I don't think you are over reacting at all! It is a complete invasion of privacy!!

I'd be pissed too if someone walked into my house without my permission. It is an invasion of privacy and I don't think you're overreacting at all, especially since they've agreed not to be in your apartment without your presence. Did you get that in writing? Maybe you should have it in writing so that you have proof? I have no idea about matters like this, but I don't think you're overreacting.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just moved into an apartment about 2 months ago and this sorta thing kind of happened to me. I put a work order in for my mailbox to be fixed, and it wasn't fixed for a week or so and so I didn't really know when it would be fixed. One day I was in my room getting ready, I hear a knock at the door, and go to open it, and he already had his keys in the door about to open it. And gave me my new keys. I was completely confused so complained to my parents and my dad said they do that everywhere all the time. They will stick their head in and yell maintenance and come on in. I was super pissed. Luckily I was finished changing, but can you imagine getting out of the shower and there's and man in your living room? What if you walked out naked??? Doesn't seem right at all!!! If it ever happens again, I will complain. Who knows what kind of creeps they could be. No you didn't overreact. I think at completely insane they have even the right to do that.

Anywhere in Canada and the US it's against the law for your landlord to come into your apartment without 24 hours written notice unless it's an emergency. An emergency would be something you'd call 911 for - fire, flood, medical emergency. Fixing a stove or a mailbox is not an emergency unless it's on fire. I checked so that I can have direct quotes to add to my letter of complaint which I will be handing in person to the manager. So Arora, your dad is wrong. Yes, they do it a lot but it's against the law. The second they unlock your door without permission, it's break and enter. Unless it's in your lease which you signed agreeing to allow them in whenever they damn well please, any time, for any reason, whether you're naked or not.

One of my friends said I should go ahead and lay charges now, because this was the THIRD time it happened. But I'd rather it be resolved without causing problems for anyone. I'm going to put it in writing not just what happened so it's outlined on paper, but also that if it happens again, I'm calling the police, that way they're warned -- in writing. It's illegal to change the locks because the landlord must have a key but I'm going to put one of those sliding lock things on the inside that way when I'm home nobody can come in unless I unlock the door from the inside.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Because I over-react to vomit on a daily basis, I often think I must be over-reacting to everything else too, that's why I wanted other people's opinions.