Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default food & drinks that don`t mix

I`ve often wondered why some food & drink that`s okay on it`s own, but makes people v if it`s combined with other things. For example, I`ve heard that people often get sick on strawberries & cream, & chocolate & cider doesn`t mix,& I found that out myself once when I was 17 & vted after eating chocolate & drinking cider.

Default Re: food & drinks that don`t mix

Weird, I've had both those combos and been fine. I think it's just up to the individual

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I guess it's the way that it sits in the stomach and what the acid does? Not sure. I think I have had both combos. Not been sick from it though!
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Aren't strawberries and cream a classic combo? When strawberries are in season I always eat them with fresh whipped cream and they are DElicious! Never had a problem.

Maybe if these combos are eaten in excessive amounts and super-quick as in the "banana and sprite challenge" then that could make you sick, otherwise you can probably eat whatever you want, in any combo, and be fine.

The day before I found out about the banana and sprite challenge, I kid you not, I had eaten a banana and all we had was sprite at the time (no tea:C) and I did not feel anything wrong! The next day when a friend told me about it I was like "REALLY?!"

I think if you drink carbonated sodas too quickly despite being paired with anything can cause v* because the gases are not being expelled and you just keep shoving more and more down (referring to the challenge).
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

I think I had eaten bananas and Sprite (maybe just soda in general) together before finding out about that too, and it never did anything to me. Once I heard about it though, I found myself worrying and wanting to avoid the combo. I'm fairly positive there is no reason to worry about it and it's the quantity that makes people sick (because it's supposed to be 2 bananas and 2 bottles of Sprite all at once). Sometimes I worry about combining foods I have never combined before just because of hearing about things like this. Like I heard mustard dissolved in water also makes you sick. Although I doubt anyone would ever consume that without meaning to, or for the pleasure/taste of it.

So I'm just assuming that I'm way overthinking this and any combo of food that would be appealing to me or that I think tastes good is not going to make me sick.
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -

I think it's a little different for everyone, but I know milk/cream based products will curdle with acidic products (like if you have an orange and glass of milk). This doesn't necessarily make you v* or n* (never did to me), but can feel a bit odd in the stomach.

Yeah, it all depends on the person really and the circumstance of the time. For me, when I was a kid, I vomited after eating rich chocolate cake and red cordial together. I've had the same combination now as an adult to try and prove to myself that I shouldn't avoid chocolate cake like I was, and I didn't vomit. It was the circumstance that made me sick, I was too young and I don't think my stomach could handle it.

As for strawberries and cream, that combination is DELICIOUS! and it's never once made me vomit.
    Come visit my history blog:

Strawberries and cream (like the liquid whipping cream) is beyond yummy!
    One of my favorite desserts is strawberries, blueberries and blackberries with the liquid cream and a little brown sugar sprinkled on top....lots of calories but well worth it

I tend to find that sugar and any kind of alcohol makes me nauseated. I avoid having orange juice and milt together, for example a bowl of cereal with milk and then an orange juice after. I think the acid curdles the milk in your stomach or something because it always makes me nauseated. Falling asleep with a greasy meal in my stomach is bad news as well.

When I learned that acids (orange juice, tomato sauce) curdle milk products (milk, and by extension, ice cream if it is melted), as a kid, I was scared of eating ice cream and pizza at the same meal!

Needless to say, have done so since many times with nothing but perhaps a few extra calories to the meal.

And ditto - I've eaten apple cider and chocolate, and strawberries and raspberries and fresh whipped cream. Never had a problem with it.